PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Coach Jankovich

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Why would you allow Temple to run the play clock down on our last defensive series?
Last edited by ALEX LIFESON on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Coach jankovich

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I love Jankovich, but that is really a perplexing decision. In doing so you are hoping for a miss and overtime at best or a loss in regulation.
mustangxc

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:15 pm

mustangxc wrote:I love Jankovich, but that is really a perplexing decision. In doing so you are hoping for a miss and overtime at best or a loss in regulation.

What do you do instead? You can’t foul and put them on the line.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Black Horseshoe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

Running this program into the ground
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
mustangxc wrote:I love Jankovich, but that is really a perplexing decision. In doing so you are hoping for a miss and overtime at best or a loss in regulation.

You don't foul but you do pressure them to make a play sooner so you have time for a shot if needed. Makes no sense to sit back.
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Pony_Law wrote:

I suppose that is what the poster would have preferred. I do agree they could have pressured the ball early because by sitting back we basically allowed Temple to do exactly what they wanted to with that last shot.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMUstang07 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:23 pm

There is no reason to foul there. Putting them at the line is equal to giving 1.5 points. Then we need to score. Better chance to play D and to hope they miss.

The real question is why did we wait until 0:32 to shoot when we got the ball with 0:50. Need to give ourselves a chance to get the ball back. Basically guanentees Temple last chance to win if they play it right.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:There is no reason to foul there. Putting them at the line is equal to giving 1.5 points. Then we need to score. Better chance to play D and to hope they miss.

The real question is why did we wait until 0:32 to shoot when we got the ball with 0:50. Need to give ourselves a chance to get the ball back. Basically guanentees Temple last chance to win if they play it right.

Truth!
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby 03Mustang » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 pm

SMUstang07 wrote:There is no reason to foul there. Putting them at the line is equal to giving 1.5 points. Then we need to score. Better chance to play D and to hope they miss.

Another great point and I thought the same...that's when you want to push it!
03Mustang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 pm

More horrible end of game coaching. No plan in the NCAA game, horrible plan tonight.
skyscraper

Postby 78pony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 am

Yes,agree. 1.5 +/- points on their side. With us shooting, 0.5 points. At freaking home!
78pony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 am

Thank you--you don't foul. You might trap if in a tough spot but if you double somebody is going to be open You got a solid defender in Jarrey who can jump through the roof-the kid made a great play-we lost
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:12 am

03Mustang wrote:

Another great point and I thought the same...that's when you want to push it!

But yet we still forced a bad shot. IMHO, our scoreboard operator really screwed up by accidentally giving them credit for a 3. Shake thought we were down one.
JasonB

Postby TidePony » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:20 am

skyscraper wrote:More horrible end of game coaching. No plan in the NCAA game, horrible plan tonight.

Yes, indeed.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:23 am

Temple's 6-3 Josh Brown won the game by shooting over 6-6 Jarrey who can jump like a 6-9 guy. Sometimes you got to make a defensive stop-great shot-didn't get it done. Brown had one basket all night at that point.I think I'd take my chances on that matchup
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Next

Return to Basketball