PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach Jankovich

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coach Jankovich

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Bishrag wrote:I think most people understand this year would always be a down year, but two things stick out to me and a few others I talked too:

1) The biggest worry comes from the little things/fundamentals. This team doesn't do them well. Boxing out, spacing, off the ball movement etc. In the Larry years you would hear from Nic & Sterling about the brutal practices where tiny details of the game were drilled into the players head. Nic mentioned the first practices of the year would have a whistle blowing every 10 sec to stop the play and correct an issue. Is this still happening or is Jank moving to the players coach people warned everyone about?

2) Losing to Tulane (albeit an improved Tulane) when up 12 with 10 min left and Temple @ home should not happen with the Talent level on this team. Shake almost beat both single handedly. Neither team was on fire all game either. In both games it appeared the coaching staff had some serious head scratching decisions (ex. no response to Mcmurray getting posted up & the last 50 sec. lack of a 2 for 1).

With a 3 game blip, its a bit of an over reaction to say we should get rid of Jank, but the manner in which the blip has come about is a bit puzzling. Couple that with prior game management (NCAA Tourney Last year, WKU this year), it plants a seed.

The rest of the season will be interesting to see how the issues, particularly the constipation on offense & rebounding, are sorted out. Im hopeful the team can get back to what they are good at on offense because this team has talent and potential to shock people.

Nothing wrong with being a players coach. And that does not mean they don’t practice hard. Many have won the NCAA tournament. Just a translation year and not as talented as last year. But who knows the team might catch fire here and make a run for the tournament or even win the conference tournament to get an auto bid.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Coach jankovich

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm

or just maybe our fans have become complacent and can only get up for Cincy or WSU or USC? Maybe they expect a rather pedestrian win against everyone else...that would be more typical of the SMU fan base. All I know is that last night, both the team and crowd finished strong[/quote]

At least W did not have to sit through that performance last night.[/quote]

That performance wasn't anything near as dismal as W's 8 year performance ! I didn't see any body bags on the court after
the game , did you ??
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 pm

ponypatrick wrote:or just maybe our fans have become complacent and can only get up for Cincy or WSU or USC? Maybe they expect a rather pedestrian win against everyone else...that would be more typical of the SMU fan base. All I know is that last night, both the team and crowd finished strong

That performance wasn't anything near as dismal as W's 8 year performance ! I didn't see any body bags on the court after
the game , did you ??[/quote]

Last edited by PonyTime on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 pm

OK we're off topic now.
24 hours out from WSU, I'm hoping Jank and Co. put together an excellent gameplan with all the time they had.
Not expecting a win, but I'm looking for improvement in areas we've been lacking.
skyscraper

Postby Arkpony » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Awww gee...do you have to?
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:56 pm

As someone pointed out on Twitter - and this is totally off topic - those blue unis with white letters /numbers look so much better than blue with red
RGV Pony

Postby East Coast Mustang » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 pm

RGV Pony wrote:As someone pointed out on Twitter - and this is totally off topic - those blue unis with white letters /numbers look so much better than blue with red

Agreed.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:40 pm

ponypatrick wrote:or just maybe our fans have become complacent and can only get up for Cincy or WSU or USC? Maybe they expect a rather pedestrian win against everyone else...that would be more typical of the SMU fan base. All I know is that last night, both the team and crowd finished strong

The only thing worse than that performance was BO’s 8 years of misery. At least this was just a game. I miss the W(in) years. :D
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deucetz » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

At least W did not have to sit through that performance last night.

The only thing worse than that performance was BO’s 8 years of misery. At least this was just a game. I miss the W(in) years. :D[/quote]

I guess you don't like 8 years of steady growth. Maybe you believe our current unemployment rate is due to all the landmark policies our current administration enacted since last January.

If you were invested in the stock market then you would love BO.
deucetz
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm

deucetz wrote:Maybe you believe our current unemployment rate is due to all the landmark policies our current administration enacted since last January.

If you're going to give credit to 44 for that, you've got to get your team to stop blaming 45 for Obamacare failures. We've got more underprivileged without healthcare insurance than before ACA because no one can afford it, not due to any recent policies. Affordable Care Act indeed.

(I'm NOT a Trump supporter).

How about those Mustangs?
ponyboy

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm

deucetz wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

At least W did not have to sit through that performance last night.

the game , did you ??

The only thing worse than that performance was BO’s 8 years of misery. At least this was just a game. I miss the W(in) years. :D[/quote]

I guess you don't like 8 years of steady growth. Maybe you believe our current unemployment rate is due to all the landmark policies our current administration enacted since last January.

If you were invested in the stock market then you would love BO.[/quote]

I am invested in the stock market and it plummeted and at best leveled under bad BO. While I'm not a fan of Trump, electing a republican president shot up the stock market especially the bum in chief leaving. The tax plan also shot up the stock market even more. So.... ouch... :lol:
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:53 pm

ponyboy wrote:
deucetz wrote:Maybe you believe our current unemployment rate is due to all the landmark policies our current administration enacted since last January.

If you're going to give credit to 44 for that, you've got to get your team to stop blaming 45 for Obamacare failures. We've got more underprivileged without healthcare insurance than before ACA because no one can afford it, not due to any recent policies. Affordable Care Act indeed.

(I'm NOT a Trump supporter).

How about those Mustangs?

Amen. Other than credit to 44 part. The only good thing he ever did was in his 1st term with housing credit and cash for clunkers. Outside of that, hot garbage community organizer. He also likes to think he single handedly took down Osama. :roll:
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 pm

I suppose with this win at WSU, Jank is back to being a coaching genius
Charleston Pony

Postby angryfan04 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Of course.....extend his contract immediately
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I suppose with this win at WSU, Jank is back to being a coaching genius

Mad scientist to be precise!
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball