PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lunardi - First Four Out

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lunardi - First Four Out

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

I agree that with our non-conference wins and a 3rd place finish in the AAC we should be a lock for the NCAA...but I would not want to risk following up that 3rd place finish with a 1st round upset loss in the AAC Tourney to give the committee an "out"
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:07 pm

FWIW, Rothstein thinks we are a lock. He’s probably assuming we defend Moody and pick up wins where we are favored.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:07 pm

Moved up to first four out in the new Palm/CBS bracket this morning. I'm not sure why he has us below USC as it looks like we have a better resume when comparing the two, not even factoring in our head-to-head win. Also has us behind Boise and while they only have three losses, we are by far the best team they have played and we slaughtered them. Overall though I like where we are on his list and our potential to pass a number of teams above us.

Stating the obvious - just win.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Looking back at the 2015-16 season Cincinnati and Tulsa both made the NCAA tournament with 12-6 conference records. Cincinnati was 22-10 on selection Sunday and had lost in the first round of the conference tournament to UCONN. Tulsa was 20-11 on selection Sunday and had lost in the first round of the conference tournament to Memphis. I think our non-conference resume is equal to or better than either Tulsa or Cincinnati that season so if things fall right 12-6 in conference should be enough to get us into the NCAA tournament. Hopefully we manage to close out the season 8-3 or better and then win at least one conference tournament game.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:54 am

mustangxc wrote:Looking back at the 2015-16 season Cincinnati and Tulsa both made the NCAA tournament with 12-6 conference records. Cincinnati was 22-10 on selection Sunday and had lost in the first round of the conference tournament to UCONN. Tulsa was 20-11 on selection Sunday and had lost in the first round of the conference tournament to Memphis. I think our non-conference resume is equal to or better than either Tulsa or Cincinnati that season so if things fall right 12-6 in conference should be enough to get us into the NCAA tournament. Hopefully we manage to close out the season 8-3 or better and then win at least one conference tournament game.

8-3/12-6 conference finish would be strong
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Lunardi will have us in his "Last 4 in" tomorrow. UH is one spot ahead of us and Boise one spot behind as the last team in.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:46 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:Lunardi will have us in his "Last 4 in" tomorrow. UH is one spot ahead of us and Boise one spot behind as the last team in.

Would play Syracuse in a First Four game in that bracket since we would have already played Houston and Boise.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Would love to play any team that is committed to playing zone defense on us. We have too many shooters.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:22 am

Pony_Law wrote:Would love to play any team that is committed to playing zone defense on us. We have too many shooters.

Have to love this bracket honestly - Syracuse, then Seton Hall in Dallas and then likely Ohio State. Obviously very unlikely to shake out this way but that would be an ideal scenario in my opinion.
RI Stang
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball