PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Lunardi - First Four Out

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Lunardi - First Four Out

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Junior wrote:
RI Stang wrote:
Junior wrote:We need to run the table after another road loss next Wednesday to have a chance at this point. Including several wins in the conference tournament. We have 4 bad losses already.

Come on, if we ran the table post Wichita we would be in with ease and have a pretty nice seed. We have one bad loss (UNI) and maybe two (Tulane) depending on how their season shakes out. There are still plenty of opportunities to right the ship.

Will it happen? I don't know but I think it's just as likely that it will turn back around that it is that it wont. I do know that I wish I could be a fly on the wall at practice this week...

Temple will go down as a bad loss by the end of the year. They were 0-4 in conference going into last game. We are not getting into the tourney as a 8 or 9 loss team.

An 8 loss team would 100% get in. We would have an RPI of 30 if we were 23-8 and would likely have wins over UC and WSU at home. I don't care who we lost to that teams getting in. And if Temple goes 5-13 in conference they will still be Top 125 in RPI because of their wins and SOS. Temple isn't a bad loss on paper. Neither is WKU. Tulane TBD. UNI bad loss, but 2-3 bad losses at 23-8 with 2-3 Top 25 wins and 5-6 Top 50 wins get you in EVERY time.

I personally at this point don't think we will make the tourney, but lets not start saying the season is over, because we lost to a Temple team who has beaten 2 Top 25 teams and lost to Cincinnati at the buzzer. I don't think we will make the tourney, because at this point i see 10 losses (11-7 conference) being very possible. We could very easily get hot and finish 12-6 or 13-5 in conference and make the tourney, but I need to see the improvement and us break out of the slump first.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 pm

I agree that 23-8 would get us in, assuming that would include wins against Cincy and Wichita State but we would also need to win a game or two in the AAC Tourney. Go out 1st round in an upset and we would be lucky to get in at 23-9
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Looks like USC is in the next four out as well. So that win is not looking as good as it once was.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Looks like USC is in the next four out as well. So that win is not looking as good as it once was.

As long as they stay top 50 that is all that really matters. Honestly we will likely be competing with them for a tourney bid if we can get back on track, so don't need them to move up that much.

Hope we beat WSU, but I see like a 5% chance of that happening so I just hope we can get some growth out of it and get us on track to win the next 4 and hopefully get rolling.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:07 am

Need to be competitive in Kansas this week...don't do what Houston did (failed to do) up there
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 am

Beat Wichita State tonight (won't happen by the way) and we're right back in it.

Go on a run after tonight (regardless of what happens) and we have a shot.

Of course, there's always winning the AAC tourney too.

Losing at Moody to Temple was probably the lowest moment in the new Moody era (we've lost there before but those were against much better teams where we were the under dog and were close in front of big, rocking crowds etc - I'm thinking Arky, Cincy, and Louisville).

I really think Akoy being a dud really hurts (at first, I thought it was mostly his injury and gave him some slack but I just don't think he's all that great even if 100%). No front court hurts. We have great guards and okay depth with Douglas and McMurray and they are all big (except McMurray). We needed Akoy and Ray to give us good quality minutes with a lot of production (rebounds!, a couple of blocks, a few points here and there) but it just hasn't happened.

Shock the Shockers! Come back to a rocking Moody and get this ship back on track!
ojaipony

Postby White Helmet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:18 am

ojaipony wrote:Beat Wichita State tonight (won't happen by the way)

Definitely won't happen tonight. Since the game is Wednesday.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am

A win tonight would jump us all the way back into the field. Unfortunately, that is quite unlikely. A solid performance will do wonders for confidence though and hopefully set this team up for one more push. I'm still encouraged that we're in the discussion, even in "Next Four Out". Also nice to see Boise up there as that win gets better and better. With Houston being in (per Lunardi), that leaves us with 5 more chances to knock off tourney teams. It's nice to have those opportunities as in years past that just hasn't been the case. Now the trick will be actually going 3-2 in those games, while taking care of business elsewhere, and giving ourselves another shot at that elusive win in March.

I fear what could happen tonight but am cautiously optimistic we'll see a renewed energy and focus after the week off.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:17 am

RI Stang wrote:A win tonight would jump us all the way back into the field. Unfortunately, that is quite unlikely. A solid performance will do wonders for confidence though and hopefully set this team up for one more push. I'm still encouraged that we're in the discussion, even in "Next Four Out". Also nice to see Boise up there as that win gets better and better. With Houston being in (per Lunardi), that leaves us with 5 more chances to knock off tourney teams. It's nice to have those opportunities as in years past that just hasn't been the case. Now the trick will be actually going 3-2 in those games, while taking care of business elsewhere, and giving ourselves another shot at that elusive win in March.

I fear what could happen tonight but am cautiously optimistic we'll see a renewed energy and focus after the week off.

I would be shocked if we won tonight, but a solid performance would be exciting even. SMU is by no means out of it. With this years field looking weak early going 22-9 and winning at least one conference tourney game would likely get us in (RPI around 34). As RI said we probably need to go 3-2 against those 5 or (3-3 and include UCF and need at least one win against WSU/UC) and take care of business besides that.

If Ponies can give a good showing tonight and stay motivated the next 4 games a the perfect opportunity to get hot and get our confidence back heading into the meat of closing out the season. I am kind of dejected, because as of right now I am not expecting this, but I hope the team came together and is ready to fight and get back on track.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 pm

Agreed. I don't need a win tonight, but we need to turn this around pretty quickly. Let's see some trademark Mustang basketball.
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 pm

I want to win tonight. I have watched them struggle a couple of times at home. We can do it.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:24 pm

I definitely want to win tonight. I don't expect it but did not expect losses to Tulane and Temple so anything can happen.
mustangxc

Postby RI Stang » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

mrydel wrote:I want to win tonight. I have watched them struggle a couple of times at home. We can do it.

Agreed. A tall order but not impossible if we play the way we can. I do like that we had a week to prepare. Can't ask for a better opportunity as IF we were to pull it off it would completely change the outlook for this team.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Blunt Pony » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I am not going to say we can't, but I think Wichita is going to be up for this game. I think it is going to take a massive effort to stay in the game at all. I am going to be watching the mental state of the team and I hope they have some fight in them. Like everyone here, the Mustangs have surprised me to the negative the last few times out so maybe they will surprise to the positive tonight. I will be watching!
Blunt Pony
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball