PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Worst Post DP decision in History of SMU Sports

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Worst Post DP decision in History of SMU Sports

2013 June Jones Contract Extension
40%
1995 Hiring of Jim Copeland
12%
2015 Not challenging NCAA basketball penalty
24%
2017 Moody Reseat
6%
1997 Benching of Womack and Flannigan vs. 0-10 TCU
10%
Other
8%

Total votes : 50

Re: Worst Post DP decision in History of SMU Sports

Postby Casey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:57 am

smitty329 wrote:Continuing doom and gloom on PonyFans.com by having a post including a survey of the worst decisions Post DP.

No kidding
Once a Mustang, ALWAYS a Mustang!
Casey
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm

I agree with those who said it was the hiring of Kenneth Pye. I was living in Durham at that time and a friend who was tennis coach at Duke told me the day it was announced that this was the biggest mistake SMU could ever make...unless we wanted to drop down to Division III (no scholarships) because Pye hated the fact that Duke was giving scholarships to athletes
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I’ve come to agree about Pye. And more specifically, while the academic admission restrictions were horrible, playing at Ownby was worse. Pretty sure I’ve read that the SWC really ended when UT first saw the visiting locker room at Ownby.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm

actually visiting locker room was across the street in Moody

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-08-13/ ... -program/3
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Dukie wrote:I’ve come to agree about Pye. And more specifically, while the academic admission restrictions were horrible, playing at Ownby was worse. Pretty sure I’ve read that the SWC really ended when UT first saw the visiting locker room at Ownby.

As I recall, Ownby did not have a visitors locker room. They had to hike over to Moody. :lol:
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:52 pm

We can [deleted] about the breakup of the SWC all we want but TCU, SMU, UH and Rice all got what they deserved since none had spent anything on athletic facilities since the 1950s. Kenneth Pye's decision to play "small-ball" in rebuilding the SMU program did most certainly play a large role in the big schools looking around.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mustang1980 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 pm

The football program was banned for the 1987 season and sat out the entire 1988 season. He was credited with leading the rebuilding (SERIOUSLY? - WTF?) of the university's athletic program.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LMAO
The Sun Rises in St. Simons!
Mustang1980
Junior Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Some people jumped on me for saying that SMU should appeal when it all went down. Still think SMU should have done that to at least try to delay the sanctions and give that team a chance to make a run in the tournament. But anyway, can’t look back too much. Just have to recruit better now.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:51 pm

We wouldn't have been eligible for the post-season last year so it really did not matter. If it had been between last year and this year then of course you delay it and take the sanctions this season but that was not a possibility. Still it was the right thing to do for recruiting and the health of the program going forward.
mustangxc

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:14 pm

mustangxc wrote:We wouldn't have been eligible for the post-season last year so it really did not matter. If it had been between last year and this year then of course you delay it and take the sanctions this season but that was not a possibility. Still it was the right thing to do for recruiting and the health of the program going forward.

For recruiting? We lost the entire class and were one and done the following year. As far as health of the program the team does not look too healthy now but let’s hope that changes over the next few games.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Basketball