PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL Wichita State thread 1/17/18

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL Wichita State thread 1/17/18

Postby mrydel » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:05 pm

I honestly believe as someone else said that when Jarrey went down Shake decided he was going to take over and we saw what he can do if he plays that way.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:12 pm

I think you're right mrydel
He's had big games. Last night was the first time he absolutely dominated.
skyscraper

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I thought he dominated down the stretch against Temple as well, it just got lost a little because we dug too large of a hole and couldn't get those last few stops. Pretty nice little two game trend, if it continues I love this teams potential.
Last edited by RI Stang on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyFan32 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Completely agree. He wasn't quite on this level against temple but he absolutely carried us in the second half. Really I think he played well in the losing streak but it for overshadowed by the losses and he missed a couple important FTs that overshadowed everything else he was doing.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Time will tell but I think he rushed the late game FTs against Western Kentucky and Tulane. I noticed in the Temple game, and again last night, that he really took his time when he was at the line late and it worked - he made them all. He is completely carrying us right now and no question that helps open things up for others, like McMurray last night.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

The Wichita State coach gave credit to SMU's "better game plan." Doing things to shorten the game. Including letting the ball bounce around after Wichita State made shots, forcing a Shocker or a referee to retrieve the ball as the clock ran. He said, "It felt like we lost two minutes just to that."
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I noticed that during the game, and you could see them getting frustrated with it. Of course, also made me nervous every time we did it as it allowed them plenty of time to set-up their press!
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm

skyscraper wrote:Our season is not static and I'm certainly not quiet on here, lol.
Anyone who thought Shake did great in the Bahamas is lying to themselves. That doesn't mean he can't improve and grow.
Shake has been carrying this team for a few games now and last night absolutely took over. It was the type of assertive performance we've all been craving.
That doesn't negate the fact he was a non-factor in some games in late November. But that's in the past. All that matters now is he continue to bring it every night. I think he will.

And of course I understand that if those shots had not been falling last night, plenty of posters would have been critical of Shake's not getting others involved and taking too many bad shots. What I've seen of Shake this season is that when he's not "on", he won't force things and becomes more of a facilitator for the other guys. Last night he was just feeling it but we shouldn't expect that night in and night out from anybody.
Charleston Pony

Postby Blunt Pony » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Wichita is not overrated. We played our best game of the year by far and were still in a tight game at the end. We shoot like that against anyone and we are going to win. That is how good teams get beat. It happens. We should know since it has happened to us many times. All I know at this point is we are capable of beating anyone and we are capable of losing to anyone (save USF and ECU). Need to exact revenge against Cincy and win the games we are favored in and we will be a solid 7-8 seed in March.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm

The most amazing part is how they shot against us and still lost. That’s a damned fine team, Wichita State. Landry is fantastic. That big man is a beast. Their 3 point assassins are deadly. Great win, one for the ages as far as Shake is concerned.

Oh, and I love their arena and crowd. Great add to the conference. Can’t wait to show them Moody.
ponyboy

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:33 pm

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:49 pm

ponyboy wrote:The most amazing part is how they shot against us and still lost. That’s a damned fine team, Wichita State. Landry is fantastic. That big man is a beast. Their 3 point assassins are deadly. Great win, one for the ages as far as Shake is concerned.

Oh, and I love their arena and crowd. Great add to the conference. Can’t wait to show them Moody.

Yeah.... they are VERY GOOD. watching the game I kept finding myself checking the score and wondering how we kept being up by 7-10 points. That is a really good team.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JoeKidd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm

Outside of the Shake show was really impressed how they consistently made shot after shot down the stretch and we matched them to keep the lead and seal the win.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball