PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Outstanding Win

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Outstanding Win

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Guess it's a matter of definition. To me, the win over a now-number-14 Arizona team on a neutral court was big. We've gotten in the habit of pulling off two or three of those a year in the Brown/Jank era. Beating WSU in the manner we did, leading from the 7 minute mark in the first half, at their place, was huge. We hadn't done anything like that since 1982.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby geezerdonk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Meaningless. Post season aspirations are illusory.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 pm

PSA for everyone: don't feed the troll
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 pm

ponyboy wrote:Guess it's a matter of definition. To me, the win over a now-number-14 Arizona team on a neutral court was big. We've gotten in the habit of pulling off two or three of those a year in the Brown/Jank era. Beating WSU in the manner we did, leading from the 7 minute mark in the first half, at their place, was huge. We hadn't done anything like that since 1982.

That Arizona win looks bigger than the Wichita State win now.
mustangxc

Postby PonyFan32 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 pm

At selection time, they will both be about the same, as I think both will still be top 15. WSU will get the ship righted.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

All things being equal I think the Arizona win will be much more significant. Arizona is much closer to blue blood status than Wichita State. For now, Wichita State is still seen as a premiere mid-major, but not at the level of an Arizona.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 pm

mustangxc wrote:
ponyboy wrote:Guess it's a matter of definition. To me, the win over a now-number-14 Arizona team on a neutral court was big. We've gotten in the habit of pulling off two or three of those a year in the Brown/Jank era. Beating WSU in the manner we did, leading from the 7 minute mark in the first half, at their place, was huge. We hadn't done anything like that since 1982.

That Arizona win looks bigger than the Wichita State win now.

Certainly moving in that direction. Welcome to the AAC, WSU.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:41 pm

ponyboy wrote:Probably our best win so far this season? What other win this year was even remotely as huge as this one? WSU is a legit elite 8 or even final 4 team. And you just don't walk in and win at Koch.

I said best win "so far" because they were highly ranked and game was at their place, but agree with others who point to the Arizona win on a neutral court as being pretty close in significance. You can argue Zona lost 3 games in that tourney, but they have come back strong and lead the PAC-12. If they continue and win that conference and Wichita State slips in the AAC, Arizona could easily become the highest ranked team we will have beaten and in the eyes of the selection committee could be our biggest win. Season is long and we REALLY need to add a W against Cincy at Moody to our resume.
Charleston Pony

Postby Stallion » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 pm

I'll take the Wichita St win on the road over Arizona who looked like dog-shit all week in the Bahamas. It was one of the greatest played games by an SMU team against a quality opponent in generations. I really can't name a more perfectly played game--ever--especially without Foster
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 pm

Stallion wrote:I'll take the Wichita St win on the road over Arizona who looked like dog-shit all week in the Bahamas. It was one of the greatest played games by an SMU team against a quality opponent in generations. I really can't name a more perfectly played game--ever--especially without Foster

In terms of the eye test there is no question the Wichita State win was by far our best performance of the season, but on paper I think the Arizona win will end up being more significant.
mustangxc

Postby Pony64 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Great win by the team. The students are so disappointing. Moody should have been packed and much louder.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:18 am

Moody was about 90% full and the students aren’t in session until next week.
smusic 00

Postby jimhagle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:42 am

So when the students are out then who gets their seats? Anyone?
jimhagle
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball