PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Educate Me...What is Isiaha Mike's Status

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Educate Me...What is Isiaha Mike's Status

Postby RufusKing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:37 am

and / or why doesn't he play? Thanks.
RufusKing
Recruit

Re: Educate Me...What is Isiaha Mike's Status

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 am

He is a transfer so he has to sit out this season.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:39 am

mustangxc wrote:He is a transfer so he has to sit out this season.

What he said. Super talented though. Will likely be a starter next season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 am

Double affirm previous statements and adopt herein for all purposes.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:47 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:

Not only will he be a starter but he will lead the team in scoring and will be an all-AAC player, book it.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby The Falcon » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:06 am

LA_Mustang wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

Not only will he be a starter but he will lead the team in scoring and will be an all-AAC player, book it.

L A - I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but what are his attributes that will
make him so good? I certainly hope you are right.
The Falcon
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 am

The Falcon wrote:
L A - I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, but what are his attributes that will
make him so good? I certainly hope you are right.

I’m not LA, but he is a Jarrey Foster type athlete, but in a 6’8 frame. That’s what makes him special. The key for him being what LA is calling for will be the development/continued progress of his jumper. He has a pretty good looking shot, but is still inconsistent at times from deep.

I think he will be what LA is saying but as a Junior, not next season. Him and Chargois duo gets me so excited. Could be a crazy good frontcourt tandem for 2-3 years.

I think Jarrey or McMurray will lead us in scoring next season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:45 am

I agree with most of what PLE said above. IMO, what separates Mike is he can play inside and out effectively. He can knock down the perimeter jumper and mix it up in the paint for tough points. Also, he has the ability to create his own shot which is something Jarrey really doesn’t do.

Next season we will have three guys who are capable of going off on the offensive end - Chargois, McMurray and Mike. That will be fun.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 am

LA_Mustang wrote:I agree with most of what PLE said above. IMO, what separates Mike is he can play inside and out effectively. He can knock down the perimeter jumper and mix it up in the paint for tough points. Also, he has the ability to create his own shot which is something Jarrey really doesn’t do.

Next season we will have three guys who are capable of going off on the offensive end - Chargois, McMurray and Mike. That will be fun.

If Mike puts in crazy work this offseason LA could very well be right about him being the guy (he does have those tools), but I see him more as a 12&7 guy next season (which would still be real good) and exploding as a junior as he develops his shot and puts it all together.

Overall he is a real solid player with a NBA ceiling. If Jarrey is back next season we could have a very exciting team.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby ponyboy101 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:49 am

my only issue is that we are not very big in the guard spot... last year we had shake (6'6) and sterling (6'6) and Gu (6'6) which really helped defensively and rebounding wise. this year we are smaller but not "small" with shake (6'6) Gu (6'6) and jimmy Whitt (6'3) and Mcmurray (6'0). next year we will be small. with the guards that are 6'0 and 6'3, Douglas is 6'5 and landrum is only 6'0. we don't have a true guard commit in the 18 class so I'm a tad nervous for next years perimeter defense
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Legit concerns about landrum and McMurray size but I think whitt has shown enough to be less concerned about him. He has guarded bigger players pretty well this year and that's before adding another big Frontline guy like Mike. He also rebounds like a guy 4 inches taller and has plenty of length as well. It was Mentioned elsewhere but there is still plenty of time to add a big guard through late signing period or transfer as well.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:25 am

Whitt is only 6'3 but he has a larger wing span so I'm not concerned about that. Landrum and McMurry will always have some defensive issues because of their size. When you are 6' or less you will always deal with larger guards being able to mostly comfortably shoot over you (remember that Cal guard doing so against Nic in the NIT). That said through strength, know how, and good team defense you should be able to be good enough not to get abused in the post ect.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 am

I think size is the reason we are seeing more zone right now and it will continue into next season.
Tall, post-up guards hurt Nic and can hurt just about any 6'0" guard. Zone will neutralize that and one bonus is how well Whitt poaches in the lane. His sequence against Tulane was simply epic. It will be interesting to see if we no longer "pick you up at the airport." I do like that loose zone press though....really burns shot clock time.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:27 am

I Doubt we will be zone much of next year if jerrey is back. Assuming Chargois improves his quickness and mike is what is advertised, and akoy is more like last night I think we will see akoy/Chargois/Mike playing the 4 and 5 most of the game, with Jerrey and Hunt spotting at the 4 as necissary. Think you will see Jarrey/hunt/Douglas playing the 3 and jimmy and McMurry playing the 1/2 with landrum and Douglas spelling them as necissary. Wouldn’t be surprised if we snag a grad transfer guard either. That team is in theory athletic enough to play tough man to Man all day with few bad matchups. You could even move jerrey to the 2 and take McMurry out and by really long.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:33 am

Pony_Law wrote:I Doubt we will be zone much of next year if jerrey is back. Assuming Chargois improves his quickness and mike is what is advertised, and akoy is more like last night I think we will see akoy/Chargois/Mike playing the 4 and 5 most of the game, with Jerrey and Hunt spotting at the 4 as necissary. Think you will see Jarrey/hunt/Douglas playing the 3 and jimmy and McMurry playing the 1/2 with landrum and Douglas spelling them as necissary. Wouldn’t be surprised if we snag a grad transfer guard either. That team is in theory athletic enough to play tough man to Man all day with few bad matchups. You could even move jerrey to the 2 and take McMurry out and by really long.

I think I remember hearing that Hunt can play some good D?

Seems like being a defensive asset would be a good way for freshmen (and next year's sophs) to get minutes.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Next

Return to Basketball