PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL revenge thread - Tulane 1/20

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL revenge thread - Tulane 1/20

Postby skyscraper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:06 pm

I liked Agau tonight. Hopefully he keeps improving. You could tell the bench was pumped when he was scoring.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Pony64 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Hope there is more crowd involvement when the students get back. Crowd sounded totally dead on TV.

Agree. Student involvement has been the worst. Not sure why we can't have a real student section this deep in January. I will never forget the first year back at Moody. That's when the students were actually aggressive with their noise level.

The guys that like sports are mostly in fraternities, and rush ends tonight. From here on out we should be great.
gostangs

Postby JasonB » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:27 pm

gostangs wrote:
Pony64 wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Hope there is more crowd involvement when the students get back. Crowd sounded totally dead on TV.

Agree. Student involvement has been the worst. Not sure why we can't have a real student section this deep in January. I will never forget the first year back at Moody. That's when the students were actually aggressive with their noise level.

The guys that like sports are mostly in fraternities, and rush ends tonight. From here on out we should be great.

Not sure what it sounded like on TV, but the crowd was nice in person. Picked the team up in both halves. I suspect that the mics are at the ground level, and with no students don't pick up much crowd. Higher in the building it was nice.

Shake had his finger taped int he witchita game, so there is definitely something going on there.

SHake absolutely took control. Beast. This was an MVP performance, especially coming off the first half.

Gutsy coaching move of the night - Shake picks up his 4th with 5 minutes left, and not only does Jank leave him in, but he switches for the first time to a 1-3-1 in the half court and has Shake at the back, leaving him isolated if anyone was able to drive. Interesting move, and it paid off.

Agau came miles forward tonight. Strong on the boards and was actually a defensive presence for the first time. We also made several attempts to actually feed the ball into the post to both he and Ethan.

Made good adjustments to make the zone effective at time. The fact is, we haven't been a great defensive team. THe ppg says we are, but our pace of play skews that stat. Early in the zone, we were helping too much at the top and left the corner three wide open. Stopped helping and spread the back three and we were much more effective defensively. Will be interesting to see if our zone gets better as the season goes along.

Tons of energy by the team at the game tonight - night and day from what we had against Temple. Makes you wonder how many players actually had the flu during that poor run of play. Tonight we missed a lot of shots, otherwise it is a bigger spread. Much, much better performance the last two games from an effort perspective. Different team.

FYI, Jarrey was walking around post game, no limp at all, and seemed fresh. I was surprised. I think they are doing what they should - playing it super safe with an NBA prospect. I expect we will see him against UCONN.
JasonB

Postby RGV Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:14 am

I think we are looking at about two weeks minimum with Jarrey
RGV Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

skyscraper wrote:I liked Agau tonight. Hopefully he keeps improving. You could tell the bench was pumped when he was scoring.

IMHO that was pretty much the Agau that was expected when he transferred.

Nobody expected the second coming of Shaquille O’Neil but many of us made him a “starter” right away simply because the only other options were unproven freshmen. Chargois’ANTICIPATED development pace was nowhere near his actual performance to date.

Together those two will fill out about 50-60 minutes of game time very nicely. I want to see them on the floor together some now.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby jimhagle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:40 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:
skyscraper wrote:I liked Agau tonight. Hopefully he keeps improving. You could tell the bench was pumped when he was scoring.

IMHO that was pretty much the Agau that was expected when he transferred.

Nobody expected the second coming of Shaquille O’Neil but many of us made him a “starter” right away simply because the only other options were unproven freshmen. Chargois’ANTICIPATED development pace was nowhere near his actual performance to date.

Together those two will fill out about 50-60 minutes of game time very nicely. I want to see them on the floor together some now.

Agua is looking much better and that is a big plus. Would like to see him and Chargois on the court together too but Ray has to be better for that to happen.
jimhagle
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:43 am

Only way you are going to see two bigs on the floor together would be if we have match up issues that require that adjustment...and better have 3 available if that happens
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Only way you are going to see two bigs on the floor together would be if we have match up issues that require that adjustment...and better have 3 available if that happens

That might be a possibility next year If Chargois can get into better shape and improve his quickness. Can’t play that until Chargois can guard smaller 4s that play on the perimeter. It was such a luxury to have ben Moore and semi. Both were more than athletic enough to switch and guard on the perimeter and we had length 1-3 to cover enough on all switches.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Only way you are going to see two bigs on the floor together would be if we have match up issues that require that adjustment...and better have 3 available if that happens

That might be a possibility next year If Chargois can get into better shape and improve his quickness. Can’t play that until Chargois can guard smaller 4s that play on the perimeter. It was such a luxury to have ben Moore and semi. Both were more than athletic enough to switch and guard on the perimeter and we had length 1-3 to cover enough on all switches.

....with Jarrey, Mike, Chargois and Agau we’ll be in pretty good shape at 4-5 next year. Maybe Ray steps up, maybe Hunt and Young help eventually.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Stallion » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Shout out for Ben Emelogu's 9 rebounds last nite-I'm telling you he has improved his vertical and is jumping out of the gym-he's not just a bulldog any more. Obviously his conditioning program has played a part

also has had 10 steals in last 3 games--that's a great stat which has been overshadowed by Whitt who has 6 (5 last nite) in last 3 games
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ponyte » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 pm

It looked like a great team win. With Shke cold, Foster out and foul trouble for Chargois, t took several players to step up and they did.

And 85% from the charity stripe was huge.

Milton picked it up when he needed to but others kept us in the game.

Defense for a team that rarely plays zone was solid. We still look like we are not comfortable in a zone but improving.

This was a good win. Tulane is much better than they have been. Better athletes and a very good coach.

Next, take care of Conn on the road.
ponyte

Previous

Return to Basketball