PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Poor crowd tonight

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Poor crowd tonight

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 am

We're starting to readjust our expectations. It was a mere two or 3 years ago, that it was rare to see any empty seats in Moody. I saw the recruits and the new coaches as well. I talked to a couple of coaches and player host at the game, I would expect at least a couple of commitments today... Including the big Juco lineman Haynes.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 am

From a watching on TV perspective, it was not so much the empty seats (appeared to be several courtside which I assume is normal at tipoff), but I thought the crowd came out lethargic, as did the team. I agree it picked up as the team got going and there is no question the team feeds off the crowd's energy. Love it when the players (Whitt started it) start encouraging the crowd to crank up the volume.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am

mustangxc wrote:I'll take your word for it but the crowd appeared to be silent on tv. The main thing is that the attendance was good and more importantly we won the game!

I was there and yes crowd was fine, but it should have been much better. I realize rush is going on, but many more students should have been there. Especially the rowdy ones.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:22 am

mrydel wrote:Classes start Monday so some are back.

Many are back. Rush is on.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 am

skyscraper wrote:Building was pretty full, so not sure what you're seeing. Crowd made noise when it needed to. ECU next Sunday is the first game with classes in session.

Crowd was OK, but no place close to full. Lots of empty seats throughout especially in the student sections.
School really needs to do a better job here to fill those when kids are out. Rush should be held at times that don't conflict with games.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Bishrag » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

It was the last night of rush. There is no way fraternities were going to skip or put their plans on hold for a game vs Tulane.

I thought the crowd was pretty good. 90% full. Got especially loud after jimmys 3 steals and when the refs were missing Tulanes off the ball crap that caused the shake dust up. I really think ESPN has changed their set up to where crowds don’t show as well on TV unless it’s primetime.
Bishrag
Recruit

Postby Pony64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

smusic 00 wrote:Strange thread. Best crowd we’ve had since USC.

Nope it really was average. First UCON games back in the new Moody. That is the mark we should be shooting for.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 am

Bishrag wrote:It was the last night of rush. There is no way fraternities were going to skip or put their plans on hold for a game vs Tulane.

I thought the crowd was pretty good. 90% full. Got especially loud after jimmys 3 steals and when the refs were missing Tulanes off the ball crap that caused the shake dust up. I really think ESPN has changed their set up to where crowds don’t show as well on TV unless it’s primetime.

Again the crowd was OK. Not hard for faternities to work around a 5pm game. They really need to coordinate things like this better.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby BUS » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

Tons of empty seats - I would say 80 to 85 percent full.
As the re-seat happens just get used to seeing more empty seats.

The Stars did the same type thing and the real hockey fans are now in the rafters and they lost the home ice advantage. But - somebody made money.

Who at SMU, other than Bob Sharp, is an alum? Don't most schools pack their departments with caring, loving, alumni...
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:58 am

Pony64 wrote:

Nope it really was average. First UCON games back in the new Moody. That is the mark we should be shooting for.

We have some on here that are apologist and are willing to accept going backwards.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby gostangs » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 am

Judge it when the kids are back. Anything before that is just negative Nancy.
gostangs

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 am

Pony64 wrote:

^^^^^^^

Dude in the sunglasses rocked.
The Louisville game I thought was louder but yeah.
One Trick Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:33 am

Listen to this crowd. Used to be so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you.

https://youtu.be/LtJHagur8go
One Trick Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:55 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Listen to this crowd. Used to be so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you.

I expect Moody will be rocking when Cincy comes to town. Hope we get the same result as last year.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:01 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Listen to this crowd. Used to be so loud you couldn't hear the person next to you.

Probably not a good example because I was at that game and I bring a lot of noise.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball