PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: SMU vs. UCONN Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: SMU vs. UCONN Thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I just hope SMU recruits well because once Shake leaves whenever that is will it will be a task to replace him.

I still have high hopes for Douglas and hope he sees more minutes as we close out this season. He lacks confidence right now, but I still think he could become a solid backcourt player for us
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I think Douglas will be fine but we are going to need more than him to replace Shake. Losing Gu could hurt some too. And other teams in the AAC are reloading as well. Nothing easy in the AAC now.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Junior » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 pm

We looked like dog crap tonight.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:10 pm

We have four maybe five AWFUL losses. What makes y’all think all of a sudden the 2017 team will walk in the door? You can’t win just because one guy goes off. That will not happen every game...like tonight. We need a few guys to start playing with consistency and that hasn’t happened yet this year and that is unlikely to happen overnight. This is a prime example of a rebuilding year
Pony ^

Postby Black Horseshoe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:17 pm

USF just beat a team we lost to
Black Horseshoe
Varsity

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:25 am

PonySnob wrote:Unfortunate that Landrun and Williams appear to be “projects” at this stage of their college careers and don’t really bring anything right now

Exactly right. I know you locals have seen more than me, but when people say ‘in a couple years he’ll contribute’ I say give me a transfer like Gu or Whitt instead.
SoCal_Pony

Postby JoeKidd » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:07 am

We're just feeling the effects of an already thin team losing its second best player. We don't lose tonight if Jarrey is playing and we don't lose to Tulane the first time with Chargois. Without our full compliment though for the rest of the year every game will be tough and I'll be happy to get to 20 wins and an NIT invitation.

We'll see what Landrum and Douglas' upside is next year, but I think one thing is for sure and that is McMurray is not a starter. Good instant offense off the bench, but with his physical short-comings for defense and rebounding he is too inconsistent of a shooter/scorer to start.

Assuming we get Jarrey back in time for next season and he is at 100% we still need a starting 2 in my opinion....either Douglas will get there or we'll need to find a grad transfer/JUCO player to fill that spot.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:31 am

Keeping last night in perspective: who would have thought when we joined the Big East/AAC that a loss in basketball to UConn in Storrs would be considered a "bad loss". Our hoops program has come a long ways folks.
Last edited by Charleston Pony on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 am

PonySnob wrote:Unfortunate that Landrun and Williams appear to be “projects” at this stage of their college careers and don’t really bring anything right now

Landrum shouldn't be allowed to shoot the ball, maybe Douglas too.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:

Landrum shouldn't be allowed to shoot the ball, maybe Douglas too.

Hard to judge Douglas because he barely takes more than one shot per game. The guy has hit 80% of his FTs and has a nice stroke, so I think he will be fine next year if/when he gets more minutes and builds some confidence. I'm still hopeful he will come around before the AAC Tourney and post season because we need another scorer on nights like last night when most of our guys go ice cold.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 am

Well no wonder they won...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22218489/connecticut-huskies-men-basketball-program-ncaa-investigation

The NCAA is investigating the Connecticut men's basketball program, the school said in a statement on Friday.

"We are working closely with the NCAA's enforcement division as they conduct this inquiry," UConn said in the statement.

Hearst Connecticut Media reported on Thursday that Huskies coach Kevin Ollie's program is under investigation in the area of recruiting.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Thought I would just bump this thread rather than starting a new one...for the women who once again were crushed by a dominant UConn team yesterday. Tough way for the seniors to go out as they were outscored 32-1 in 2nd quarter when this one got completely out of control. Question is whether 5 or 6 seniors will be moving on. I assume Alicia Froling has an opportunity to return if she recovers and wants to finish her eligibility at SMU. Without Alicia, Coach Mays does not have much scoring coming back so hope next year's recruiting class comes ready to play at this level. I note from some of the bios that several in next year's class were double digit scorers in H.S.

May need to bump this thread again for the 1st round men's ACC tourney game as it looks like it's going to be SMU vs UConn once again. That's a team that, even short handed, I think we actually have a chance to beat in Orlando.
Charleston Pony

Postby Junior » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:22 pm

32-1?
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Junior wrote:32-1?

Made it 51-13 at half but help is on the way?

http://smumustangs.com/news/2017/11/14/ ... ath=wbball
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Junior wrote:32-1?

Good thing they have quarters instead of halves
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball