PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: SMU vs. UCONN Thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: SMU vs. UCONN Thread

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:23 am

Junior wrote:32-1?

It was actually worse than that. The run from the middle of the first quarter, until halftime, was 45-1. The 1 point was a free throw with 15 seconds left in the first half. No field goals for more than 15 minutes. At the point that we got our free throw, their run was 43-0.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby Balatro Diabolus Ex » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:26 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Thought I would just bump this thread rather than starting a new one...for the women who once again were crushed by a dominant UConn team yesterday. Tough way for the seniors to go out as they were outscored 32-1 in 2nd quarter when this one got completely out of control. Question is whether 5 or 6 seniors will be moving on. I assume Alicia Froling has an opportunity to return if she recovers and wants to finish her eligibility at SMU. Without Alicia, Coach Mays does not have much scoring coming back so hope next year's recruiting class comes ready to play at this level. I note from some of the bios that several in next year's class were double digit scorers in H.S.

May need to bump this thread again for the 1st round men's ACC tourney game as it looks like it's going to be SMU vs UConn once again. That's a team that, even short handed, I think we actually have a chance to beat in Orlando.

Alicia has indicated that she wants to return, so unless she changes her mind she should be back next year.
Balatro Diabolus Ex
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 am

Oh my gosh, 43-0? What was the finale...
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Oh my gosh, 43-0? What was the finale...

80-36
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony81 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:52 am

I went to a UCONN - SMU WBB game a few years ago. Like most, I was curious to see the #1 WBB team in the country.
WHile UCONN is very skilled and play basketball in its' purist form..... the game was horrible. A total mismatch. Like my high school team versus the Warriors.

Thankfully, they pulled the first team and played slow to keep the score from being a total embarrassment - for both teams.

My takeaway is that there just isn't much depth of talent in WBB. Once you get away from the top 10-15 teams the talent drop off is enormous. No way two D1 teams should be this mismatched. And UCONN does this all the time.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:59 pm

UConn women dominate and humiliate everyone in the AAC so we are not alone. USF has had a decent team in recent years and they are currently in 2nd place behind undefeated UConn, but in their 1st meeting (in Tampa no less) UConn won by 51 points
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Yea women's basketball has a huge disparity between even teams ranked first and 20th. From a size perspective UCONN's roster is so different from other big programs but I guess there still is a major difference.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Basketball