PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We are an NIT team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

We are an NIT team

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 pm

So incredibly inconsistent and so lacking a leader who we can turn to.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: We are an NIT team

Postby Lebanese4Life » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Shake is good but soft. Needs to be more aggressive

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Shake isn't a leader. It's not in his DNA and it's heartbreaking because he could be great.
skyscraper

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 pm

We have now lost to three of the worst teams in our conference. The season is as good as done
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 pm

Pony ^ wrote:We have now lost to three of the worst teams in our conference. The season is as good as done

If I'm not mistaken, Temple, ECU and USF are currently the bottom 3 and while we did lose to Temple, we haven't lost to ECU or USF...yet. We are a solid middle of the pack team right along with UConn, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF & Tulane. Remains to be seen if Houston can separate themselves from that pack and join Cincy & WSU but they haven't shown much on the road, either.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony81 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Let's get home court advantage in the NIT. Those games were fun.

Not an NCAA tournament team. AAC will be a 2 bid league. UC = 6 seed and WSU = 7 seed.

Despite the addition of WSU, AAC is still in mid major territory.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:We have now lost to three of the worst teams in our conference. The season is as good as done

If I'm not mistaken, Temple, ECU and USF are currently the bottom 3 and while we did lose to Temple, we haven't lost to ECU or USF...yet. We are a solid middle of the pack team right along with UConn, Memphis, Tulsa, UCF & Tulane. Remains to be seen if Houston can separate themselves from that pack and join Cincy & WSU but they haven't shown much on the road, either.

Honestly it’s:

1.Cincy
2. No one
3. Everyone but ECU and USF
4. No one
5. ECU and USF
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 pm

If the team loses again someone will probably be saying CIT.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pm

I thought we would find a way to be an NCAA tourney team... until tonight. We are an NIT team. We could get lucky and steal some games and sneak into the tourney, but we are most likely an NIT team. We might be able to host NIT game though..

@Rebel the only way we are going to the CIT is if we finish like 8-10 or 9-9 in conference. Isn't the CBI the tournament after the NIT now? I'm not even sure many AAC teams accept bids to anything less than the NIT.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:13 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:I thought we would find a way to be an NCAA tourney team... until tonight. We are an NIT team. We could get lucky and steal some games and sneak into the tourney, but we are most likely an NIT team. We might be able to host NIT game though..

@Rebel the only way we are going to the CIT is if we finish like 8-10 or 9-9 in conference.

I was just saying someone will probably be saying that. I still have NCAA tournament hopes.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Dang if PLE thinks we are NIT team that’s not good. Normally you’ve been pretty positive about NCAA and I don’t disagree with your assessment. Just kind of counting on a sunshiner viewpoint to the doom and gloom.

@PLE: if we beat WSU at home and beat 2 of 3 (Tulsa, UCF and Houston) and win obvious games (ECU and USF), shouldn’t we get in. Especially if we have resume wins since the narrative is Committee looks at wins rather than losses.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Dang if PLE thinks we are NIT team that’s not good. Normally you’ve been pretty positive about NCAA and I don’t disagree with your assessment. Just kind of counting on a sunshiner viewpoint to the doom and gloom.

@PLE: if we beat WSU at home and beat 2 of 3 (Tulsa, UCF and Houston) and win obvious games (ECU and USF), shouldn’t we get in. Especially if we have resume wins since the narrative is Committee looks at wins rather than losses.

Yeah, I am generally optimistic, but also a realist. We are just too inconsistent.
It depends what we do in the other game against UH and the game against UC.

22-9 (12-6) is probably what it would take to get in, since we have some real good resume wins. UConn loss doesn't change that it just makes it really hard to achieve. We probably have to win 4 out of 6 against (@Tulsa, @UH, UC, @UCF, WSU, UH) and the easy ones to get in.

My guess is 3-3 out of those 6 games. A 21-10 team would likely either have to win conference tourney of make the championship (might be enough).

If we still had Jarrey, I think we would make the tourney. Without him and with how inconsistent the team and particularly Jahmal McMurray (who we needed to step up) is can't see much better at this stage. Ask me again on 2/11. By that point we should know if we got a chance or not.

Bright side: We should be better next season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

A lot of basketball to be played and anything can happen, but given our depleted roster I would agree this is most likely a NIT team. Would be nice to get a decent seeding and to at least get a home game or two in that tourney
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 am

I think our inconsistency will keep us from getting an at large bid but given our track record this season I still think we can win the conference tournament.
mustangxc

Postby RI Stang » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:31 am

PonyLawExpress wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:Dang if PLE thinks we are NIT team that’s not good. Normally you’ve been pretty positive about NCAA and I don’t disagree with your assessment. Just kind of counting on a sunshiner viewpoint to the doom and gloom.

Yeah, I am generally optimistic, but also a realist. We are just too inconsistent.
It depends what we do in the other game against UH and the game against UC.

22-9 (12-6) is probably what it would take to get in, since we have some real good resume wins. UConn loss doesn't change that it just makes it really hard to achieve. We probably have to win 4 out of 6 against (@Tulsa, @UH, UC, @UCF, WSU, UH) and the easy ones to get in.

My guess is 3-3 out of those 6 games. A 21-10 team would likely either have to win conference tourney of make the championship (might be enough).

If we still had Jarrey, I think we would make the tourney. Without him and with how inconsistent the team and particularly Jahmal McMurray (who we needed to step up) is can't see much better at this stage. Ask me again on 2/11. By that point we should know if we got a chance or not.

Bright side: We should be better next season.

Agree the NCAA dream isn't dead, but it's on life support. I think we can only afford to lose one more and it has to be to either Cincy, Wichita or Houston. MAYBE two if one is the road game at Houston or home game with Cincy, but likely need all but one. Winning 3 out of 4 of those will be very difficult - would have been with Jarrey but a lot more difficult without. Last night was extremely disappointing to see no one step up and help Shake at all.

I am always an optimist, but curious on why you think we'll be better next season? I have serious concerns what we'll look like without Shake, unless Jarrey suddenly develops his shot. I think Douglas and Hunt will provide solid contributions, and obviously Mike will help but not sure how we'll be better after losing Shake and Gu. Shake doesn't getting anywhere near enough credit around here for how much he carries us and how good of a player he is, in my opinion.

My bright side is that we have East Carolina coming in here on Sunday and I would love to see us beat the crap out of them and for Douglas to get about 25 minutes or more. We need him to turn a corner - for next season even if it's too late for this season.
RI Stang
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball