PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We are an NIT team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We are an NIT team

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am

The only way we make the NCAA tourney is to play in the finals of our own tourney. Possible but without Jarrey, not probable.

Since this thread has become a kinda ‘state of the Union’ one, I ask this question. How many of our 4 frosh stay here all 4 years.

I’ll say 2.

And that’s part of the problem we are experiencing now.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:39 am

Expect nothing. Hope for the best. Include the smu factor when you’re calculating the committee’s selections.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 am

One Trick Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am

SoCal_Pony wrote:The only way we make the NCAA tourney is to play in the finals of our own tourney. Possible but without Jarrey, not probable.

Since this thread has become a kinda ‘state of the Union’ one, I ask this question. How many of our 4 frosh stay here all 4 years.

I’ll say 2.

And that’s part of the problem we are experiencing now.

Don’t know where you are pulling that number out of? Chagois is is getting a good amount of minutes that even with mike and hunt and akoy next year I think it’s more likely we go back to playing 2 bigs so he should still get his. Jerrey will be coming off a major knee injury and you have to replace GU and Shake’s minutes. That should leave plenty for landrum and Douglas. Ray is a question mark but I don’t think he has a high transfer value. He will have to decide if he wants to be a bench player/try to earn minutes on a good team in a high level conference in a big city, or does he want to play more on a bad team somewhere.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm

So you’re saying Landrum & Douglas stay all 4 years.

I say 1 doesn’t.

Not that complicated.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:01 pm

It might be a good thing for the future of this team to go the NIT route, especially if they could make a deep run in that tourney. With Jarrey done for the year, all but 2 of the guys currently playing are in their 1st year playing together for SMU so the more games they can get in this year, the better off we might be for next year. If we find a way into the NCAA, I wouldn't mind having a play-in game if that would give us a better chance of winning a game in the tourney. I'm getting tired of one and done after complaining about our seeding.
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:01 pm

NIT finals were good for the froggies last year. Sometimes it’s helpful to be the big fish in the small pond.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby mustangxc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:57 pm

As weak as the bubble is we still have plenty of opportunities to get in. If we win out at home and avoid losses at USF and ECU I think we get in. We have certainly shown we are capable of beating anyone at home so I am more concerned with losing at USF than I am about beating Cincinnati, Houston or Wichita State at home.
mustangxc

Postby CBpony » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:23 am

Unless we win the conference tournament there’s no chance in hell we get in to the tourney
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:36 am

CBpony wrote:Unless we win the conference tournament there’s no chance in hell we get in to the tourney

Not going to happen, but if this team was to win out in regular season which would mean beating WSU and Cincy and sweeping Houston, they would be a lock and it would not matter what they did in the AAC Tourney
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am

CBpony wrote:Unless we win the conference tournament there’s no chance in hell we get in to the tourney

That's a bit fatalistic and untrue.

IMHO.... we go 2/2 with WSU,Cincy and the two Houston games, no more losses and a semifinal loss in Orlando...we are in.

Add in another road loss and we're on the bubble with probably a dozen other teams.

Anything after that is NIT....which is where I now think we are headed.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:41 am

sadderbudweiser wrote:

That's a bit fatalistic and untrue.

IMHO.... we go 2/2 with WSU,Cincy and the two Houston games, no more losses and a semifinal loss in Orlando...we are in.

Add in another road loss and we're on the bubble with probably a dozen other teams.

Anything after that is NIT....which is where I now think we are headed.

I'd love to see us go 2-2 in those 4 really tough games, but don't see us winning at both Tulsa and UCF. Other than watching Shake play out of his mind at Wichita, these guys haven't shown me they are capable of winning on the road. Hope both Shake and Ethan go off during their Oklahoma homecoming because these guys really need to put together a little winning streak right now to prove they can win once again with a depleted roster.
Charleston Pony

Postby smitty329 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:30 pm

If Shake decides he is going pro and wants to improve his draft position, he needs to put this seasons success and a trip to the tourney on his back ala WS. People love the individual story - anyone heard of anyone else on the OU squad this season other than Trae Young? If Shake starts to grab headlines with significant contributions to an SMU win streak - they will also tie to the last second shot he missed last year to take us to the second round - everyone loves the revenge story.
smitty329
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:32 pm

I am fairly confident we win 2 if not 3 of the 4 v Houston, Cincinnati, and Wichita State. The problem is I am just as confident we lose at Tulsa and at UCF.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:16 pm

smitty329 wrote:If Shake decides he is going pro and wants to improve his draft position, he needs to put this seasons success and a trip to the tourney on his back ala WS. People love the individual story - anyone heard of anyone else on the OU squad this season other than Trae Young? If Shake starts to grab headlines with significant contributions to an SMU win streak - they will also tie to the last second shot he missed last year to take us to the second round - everyone loves the revenge story.

You want to be a script writer for SMU sports?

LOL....kinda like being the booking rep for the Titanic.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball