PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We are an NIT team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We are an NIT team

Postby Pony ^ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am

so frustrating. we would smoke all those teams with a full squad. We beat a 1 seed by almost 20
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:10 am

Would be fun to match up with Harry and Marquette, that would be an intriguing matchup. Unfortunately would be there though instead of at Moody I assume.

Speaking of Harry, saw he only played 11, 6 and 0 minutes in their last three games. Anyone know if he is hurt or if he has just fallen completely out of their rotation? I would be pretty surprised if he is back at Marquette next year. Maybe his issues weren't all SMU's fault after all...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 am

Pretty nice field of teams. There are going to be maybe as many as 12-20 really decent NCAA rejects this year.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am

RI Stang wrote:Would be fun to match up with Harry and Marquette, that would be an intriguing matchup. Unfortunately would be there though instead of at Moody I assume.

Speaking of Harry, saw he only played 11, 6 and 0 minutes in their last three games. Anyone know if he is hurt or if he has just fallen completely out of their rotation? I would be pretty surprised if he is back at Marquette next year. Maybe his issues weren't all SMU's fault after all...

They should test him like Alonzo Trier.
Maybe he’s back on the Pringles and cake.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm

remember that regular season champs of all conferences get into NIT if they don't win their conference's tourneys and auto bids
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

So...if this team can beat USF and then UConn in 1st round of AAC Tourney to finish 18-15 (I'm not holding out hope of beating Houston or the WSU/Cincy winner if we do advance to 2nd round of tourney play), would they be deserving on NIT invite? If Shake is back, I would not be surprised for these guys to have a post season opportunity...assuming they can find 2 more wins somewhere. With our current 7 man roster and a 16-16 or 17-16 finish, I'd say "fat chance".
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 am

Charleston Pony wrote:So...if this team can beat USF and then UConn in 1st round of AAC Tourney to finish 18-15 (I'm not holding out hope of beating Houston or the WSU/Cincy winner if we do advance to 2nd round of tourney play), would they be deserving on NIT invite? If Shake is back, I would not be surprised for these guys to have a post season opportunity...assuming they can find 2 more wins somewhere. With our current 7 man roster and a 16-16 or 17-16 finish, I'd say "fat chance".

If we're still as hampered by injury as we have been, I'm not sure a postseason even makes sense. We could barely take advantage of the extra practice time...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

Exactly - if Shake is back playing we would take it (NIT invite) but if not, I don't think we would accept an invite if we can't even practice and multiple guys are playing through injuries. Only way I see Shake coming back is if he or his team feel like he has to in order to prove to scouts he's OK, but would think the combine would provide plenty of opportunities for that. I can't remember - can guys pull out of the draft after the combine or is the deadline date before that?
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:32 am

If you get invited to the NIT you take it. No questions. Even if we are down to 1 scholarship player, you still take it. Appearances in the NCAA and NIT are important towards building a program.
mustangxc

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 am

I was originally in the don’t play if we are too short handed group, but now think that we should do the NIT if invited. The kids playing deserve some sort of prize just for surviving the season.

Not a big fan of the lesser tournaments however.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 pm

I would not play in the CBI or CIT even if Shake is healthy again and wants to play more games. However, appearances in the NCAA tournament and NIT are prestigious accolades towards building a program. As disappointing as the season has been, if we make the NIT it would be one of our top 20 seasons all time.
mustangxc

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pm

You really think our administration will pass up the revenue potential of hosting another home game?
JasonB

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Why would we decline an invite? The season for the past month has turned into seeing what the frosh can do. Saturday was the first signs of life shooting from Douglas. I'd love to see more. We have nothing to lose. Roll 'em out and see what happens.
skyscraper

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:03 pm

JasonB wrote:You really think our administration will pass up the revenue potential of hosting another home game?

Nope: and I could flip those on StubHub and break even for the season
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:06 pm

skyscraper wrote:Why would we decline an invite? The season for the past month has turned into seeing what the frosh can do. Saturday was the first signs of life shooting from Douglas. I'd love to see more. We have nothing to lose. Roll 'em out and see what happens.

If I am not mistaken both the CBI and CIT no longer invite teams from the P7 conferneces. I know one of them specifically said it wouldn't anymore, but pretty sure they only invite teams from MWC, A10, MVC, C-USA, WAC, Sun Belt, etc.

EDIT: Looked it up and teams from AAC and Power conferences are generally ineligible for the CIT. CBI doesn't state that, but hasn't invited an AAC team. Has invited 2 Pac-12 teams (2014, 2015) and UT in (2013). But no P7 teams in past 2 tournaments. You also have to pay $50,000 to enter the CBI. I wouldn't be opposed to the CBI for extra experience. (If we can beat UH or #1 seed in conference tourney we could likely sneak into NIT)
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball