PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cheer up Mustang fans!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cheer up Mustang fans!

Postby oilpony » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 pm

oilpony
All-American

Re: Cheer up Mustang fans!

Postby mustang1992 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Football Expectations: we are just three recruiting classes and a IPF away from a competitive program.

Basketball Expectations: we are just two recruiting classes and refurbished coaches offices away from a competitive program.

This team is way too inconsistent and I put that squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.
mustang1992
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:44 pm

mustang1992 wrote:Football Expectations: we are just three recruiting classes and a IPF away from a competitive program.

Basketball Expectations: we are just two recruiting classes and refurbished coaches offices away from a competitive program.

This team is way too inconsistent and I put that squarely on the shoulders of the coaches.

When you only have 8 scholarship players available, only 3 have played significant D1 minutes a, inconsistency is going to be part of your life regardless of who the coach is. Heck look at Kentucky this year.

We are in a situation where if more than 1 layer is off we will be in a lot of trouble. Last night the whole team was off except for Whitt.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 am

The one thing we have in abundance: EXCUSES
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:11 am

Bergermeister wrote:The one thing we have in abundance: EXCUSES

Yep
mustang1992
All-American

Postby mtrout » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 am

oilpony wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSsxz2DlTI

Here’s to wishing it was 1982
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby mustang1992 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:41 am

Pony_Law wrote:
mustang1992 wrote:Football Expectations: we are just three recruiting classes and a IPF away from a competitive program.

When you only have 8 scholarship players available, only 3 have played significant D1 minutes a, inconsistency is going to be part of your life regardless of who the coach is. Heck look at Kentucky this year.

We are in a situation where if more than 1 layer is off we will be in a lot of trouble. Last night the whole team was off except for Whitt.

We lost 3 key players and we have a reduction in scholarships, I get it, but here is what I see . . .

A team that returned, essentially, 3 starters (I consider BE a starter, he certainly played enough last year to warrant that label). 6th MoTY and a pre-season PoTY (different folks), added a true point guard transfer, a "scoring machine" transfer, and a big transfer from Georgetown and Louisville (all of whom I consider to have D1 experience). We added 4 freshman, that I heard several on here praise as a strong incoming class, one of which is a starter.

That's our team prior to the two injuries, up to the WS game. Prior to that game we've been an extremely inconsistent team. We beat Wichita State (without JF for 2/3 of the game) on their court and lost to Temple (full strength) in Moody.

Despite the challenges, which ALL teams have (Kentucky this year is an outlier and not the norm, regardless of that they are currently tied for 3rd in the SEC, not 6th in the AAC), this team is under-performing - big time!
mustang1992
All-American

Return to Basketball