PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

There’s still a sliver of hope

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

There’s still a sliver of hope

Postby ponyboy101 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 pm

15-7 as of right now, if we can pull it together in Tulsa and grab a win and then beat Houston at home (we’re still very good at home) then we would be 17-7 going into a make or break game against Cinci. Realistically the only 2 teams we can lose too at this point are Cinci and Wichita. But if we can beat Cinci at home and get it together on the road I think we still have a solid shot as sneaking in the tourney.
Last edited by ponyboy101 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: There’s still a slither of hope

Postby kc711 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Or perhaps, more correctly a "sliver" of hope.
kc711
Scout Team

Re: There’s still a slither of hope

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:36 pm

It really doesn’t matter who we lose to, but we need to go 7-2. Otherwise we rely on other teams losing. Today was a great day as we won and Marquette, Maryland and Indiana all lost at home missing out on signature wins for them. Also, USC beat Cal and remains firmly in second place in the Pac12. I actually think we lose at Houston and at Tulsa and maybe even at UCF. I think we win the rest.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: There’s still a sliver of hope

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:47 am

We have a much better chance at Tulsa than we do with either Cinn or WS at home. Those will be close to impossible without more depth in the post. We were light there before Jarrey went out. Lets not be fooled by ECU - they have only beaten one other team in our conference. Good teams will get a ton of second, third and fourth looks at the basket the way we are currently configured.

I just don't see it happening unless Shake goes unconscious for multiple games, and gets help from McMurray. Possible but beyond slim.
gostangs

Postby smupony94 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:01 am

Hope is free
smupony94

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 am

smupony94 wrote:Hope is free

How about Hope & Change?
Bergermeister

Postby PonySnob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

Bergermeister wrote:

How about Hope & Change?

Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby mrydel » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

You will not get any change unless you pay for hope.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am

gostangs wrote:We have a much better chance at Tulsa than we do with either Cinn or WS at home. Those will be close to impossible without more depth in the post. We were light there before Jarrey went out. Lets not be fooled by ECU - they have only beaten one other team in our conference. Good teams will get a ton of second, third and fourth looks at the basket the way we are currently configured.

I just don't see it happening unless Shake goes unconscious for multiple games, and gets help from McMurray. Possible but beyond slim.

We are a top 25 team at home and not even CIT worthy on the road aside from the Wichita State game.
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:49 am

Hope is not a plan.

Hope is a town in southwest Arkansas.

Hope is holding on line 2.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Blunt Pony » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:57 am

Unlike in many years past, we actually have a great chance to make the tournament because we have the opportunities to collect good wins. Problem is whether we can actually win those games. I can tell you for sure we are going to have a tough time sweeping Wichita. Shake careered and we played a perfect game. Not sure we can count on that in what will be a revenge game. Not sure that I saw much in our loss to Cincy that says that we will be able to handle them even at home.

Do we have a chance? Yes, we are easily a tourney team if we protect Moody.

What I have learned this season is that looking at a schedule and predicting wins and losses has been impossible so I am just going to enjoy the ride knowing that we control our destiny because we have the opportunity to knock off some good teams down the stretch along with the other good wins that we already have on our resume.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:04 am

Blunt Pony wrote:Unlike in many years past, we actually have a great chance to make the tournament because we have the opportunities to collect good wins. Problem is whether we can actually win those games. I can tell you for sure we are going to have a tough time sweeping Wichita. Shake careered and we played a perfect game. Not sure we can count on that in what will be a revenge game. Not sure that I saw much in our loss to Cincy that says that we will be able to handle them even at home.

Do we have a chance? Yes, we are easily a tourney team if we protect Moody.

What I have learned this season is that looking at a schedule and predicting wins and losses has been impossible so I am just going to enjoy the ride knowing that we control our destiny because we have the opportunity to knock off some good teams down the stretch along with the other good wins that we already have on our resume.

Very good points. The interesting thing is that similar things are happening in many of the conferences. I think we are looking at a real logjam between the 30th and 50th best teams. Let's hope that there aren't alot of upsets in the conference tourneys. We'll need every available spot we can get. One or two more quality wins and no poor games against bad teams and we should be ok. Twenty wins with two more quality gets us in. Twenty wins with two losses to Houston and home losses to WSU and Cincy means NIT.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Every very good team loses some in conference games against lesser opponents, especially on the road. Our problem is that there is a pattern (AT Uconn?!? HOME against Temple? AT Tulane?!?). Those are really bad. We are going to have to go on a tear here AND do very well in the AAC tourney to have any chance at all. Can't be up and down (beat cincy, then lose to wichita and houston twice and win only 1 game in the aac tourney). I feel like we need to sweep Moody (in years past, I'd say that would absolutely happen) and beat everyone on the road not named Houston and then get to the aac tourney championship game.

I don't see it happening, but I'll be cheering them on all the way! And we need Moody Magic more than ever (against Cincy, Wichita, and Houston).

(and if we lose AT Tulsa, forget it ... just my opinion).
ojaipony

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:58 pm

If we go 2-2 in the 4 against WSU, CInci and Houston, and we win the rest I think we will probably be in (might be a first 4 team, but we will still be in). 1-3 in those 4 make it a much closer bubble but we will have as good a resume (and arguably better in terms of quality wins) than most other bubble teams. I don't think we can survive if we drop a game to any lesser AAC.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:41 pm

PonySnob wrote:
Bergermeister wrote:

How about Hope & Change?

Should say "NOPE" or my favorite: OBAMA - One Big [deleted] Mistake America :D :D :D
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball