PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will Douglas

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Will Douglas

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 pm

First game I have seen that made me believe he will be a good player for us. Hustle, effort, offense rebounds, steals. I wish he could score some but everything else seemed to be there.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Bigotry of low expectations in this thread.
skyscraper

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 pm

skyscraper wrote:He is a ghost and looks scared every time he shoots. Rebounding is not enough.

Sure it’s not enough on the road, with only 7 scholarship players but that wasn’t the question. Does he have great length for a guard? Yes. Is he athletic with good hops? Yes. Does he have an obvious flae in his shooting form? No. Does he have everything that can be molded into a heck of a college player? Absolutely.

He is a freshman, he will make a big jump year to year.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
skyscraper wrote:He is a ghost and looks scared every time he shoots. Rebounding is not enough.

Sure it’s not enough on the road, with only 7 scholarship players but that wasn’t the question. Does he have great length for a guard? Yes. Is he athletic with good hops? Yes. Does he have an obvious flae in his shooting form? No. Does he have everything that can be molded into a heck of a college player? Absolutely.

I agree. So frustrating him missing those layups, but he just is rushing everything too much because the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have the confidence at a freshman. That happens for some freshman. But he continued to hustle and had like 5 or 6 O rebounds and several tipped balls. Played good D. He does all the little stuff well even when he can't score. He has a pretty jump shot (if you watch it and look at FT%). Scoring will come see Gu. I remember everyone wanted Gu gone after last year and "the little things" weren't enough and everyone always said he had a good shot, but just wasn't clicking.. It takes some guys more time than others, but as Pony Law said he has the tools which is key.

I like the minutes we got out of both Douglas and Landrum tonight much better than the ones out we got out of Chargois.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:

I agree. So frustrating him missing those layups, but he just is rushing everything too much because the game is too fast for him and he doesn't have the confidence at a freshman. That happens for some freshman. But he continued to hustle and had like 5 or 6 O rebounds and several tipped balls. Played good D. He does all the little stuff well even when he can't score. He has a pretty jump shot (if you watch it and look at FT%). Scoring will come see Gu.

I like the minutes we got out of both Douglas and Landrum tonight much better than the ones out we got out of Chargois.

Chargois played??
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Shake and Foster came in as freshman and contributed. You didn't have to parse the second page of the stat sheet to produce numbers inferring they could be good.
I hope Douglas and the others develop, but we're in the final month of the season and it's still real rough looking.
skyscraper

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

I’m not a football guy but I once heard Bill Parcels say you can’t teach the fight in the dog. I’m not sure Douglas has that fight. He has all the measurables, but show us something.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I’m not a football guy but I once heard Bill Parcels say you can’t teach the fight in the dog. I’m not sure Douglas has that fight. He has all the measurables, but show us something.

Um those offensive rebounds and scrappy d is fight.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm

He did show fight! He had 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He just couldn’t score to save his life.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I’m not a football guy but I once heard Bill Parcels say you can’t teach the fight in the dog. I’m not sure Douglas has that fight. He has all the measurables, but show us something.

Were we watching the same game? I thought he showed tremendous fight. If anything, he's a little too keyed up. Great D and rebounding; was a real nuisance for Tulsa but just can't buy a bucket right now. I will be surprised if he doesn't make the biggest improvement between his FR and SO seasons.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

skyscraper wrote:Shake and Foster came in as freshman and contributed. You didn't have to parse the second page of the stat sheet to produce numbers inferring they could be good.
I hope Douglas and the others develop, but we're in the final month of the season and it's still real rough looking.

Yea LB is probably the best person on the planet at teaching the x and o’s of basketball. Of course I’d expect freshman to show more quickly under Larry than Jank. Also jerrey and shake especially were Taylor made to thrive in LB system.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 pm

Then maybe I’m off. If 0-6 from the field and disappearing completely on the offensive end when this team desperately needs you is what a top 100 prospect is, my bad. He can rebound and defend. Never disputed that.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:Then maybe I’m off. If 0-6 from the field and disappearing completely on the offensive end when this team desperately needs you is what a top 100 prospect is, my bad. He can rebound and defend. Never disputed that.

I thought you were suggesting he had no "fight" in him. Effort is not his problem, but yes, shooting CLEARLY is.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Douglas had tons of fight tonight. Takes alot of fight to be unable to score and hustle like that. It is easy to hustle when the ball is going in.

I think he means more if I dog is going to bite you he is going to bite you when he is a pup. Meaning if he is legit he will show you when he is a young guy or at least flashes. I 100% agree with this saying, but I think there are exceptions and Douglas with his work ethic, size, tools and skill-set could very well be an exception. If he is playing like this next year you need to cut bait, but some kids need adjustment time and he might be one of them.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm

he doesn't have shooting form problem either-his problem is confidence. Watch him in pregame-he has perfect form-its between the ears
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball