PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tulsa game thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Tulsa game thread

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:When people are complaining and think the sky is falling during a year where you put 3 guys into the nba, only had 3 returning players, and injury problems, and you are still likely a high NIT team, you are approaching Aggie delusion levels except with the lack of,cultish loyalty.

I don’t think anyone is complaining. Just trying not to live in fantasy land about the upcoming years without Shake. Not necessarily talking about this year.

So the future "fear" is that we won't every have guys talented enough to go on to NBA careers?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:00 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Edibles

..... if you didn’t bring enough for everyone....
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:When people are complaining and think the sky is falling during a year where you put 3 guys into the nba, only had 3 returning players, and injury problems, and you are still likely a high NIT team, you are approaching Aggie delusion levels except with the lack of,cultish loyalty.

I don’t think anyone is complaining. Just trying not to live in fantasy land about the upcoming years without Shake. Not necessarily talking about this year.

So the future "fear" is that we won't every have guys talented enough to go on to NBA careers?

No. Some are talking about NCAA tournament tuns with no proof of development. Just have to wait and see. Can’t make predictions yet.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 pm

Rebel10 wrote:

What fantasy that we are going to be an above average team in a quasi power basketball league? We are going to be good next year. I like what our roster will look like compaired to the rest of the AAC. 2 things have warped peoples perception. we had 2 extremely good, like should have been sweet 16 type teams, and the aac happened to have down years. Start to worry if the 2019 recruiting class Wiffs.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:52 pm

The big disappointment is that we had 5 NBA guys starting last year and couldn't get out of the first round.

Tonight's team almost won on the road against a mid-level conference team. That isn't bad, considering we don't really run an offense because of our lack of inside presence.

I realize we lose GU, but if you take that team, allow the 4 frosh to grow up, get Agau in shape, and get Mike, we are better than what played tonight. Ethan, Agau, Mike, and Ray specifically will actually give us an inside presence and remove the pressure on dribble penetrate and forced outside shooting.

The sky isn't falling, that is a decent AAC team. If Douglas and Landrum get a shooting stroke, you have three outside scorers and some depth inside, and that will make us one of the better teams in conference and a tourney team.

If Shake and/or Foster come back, then that takes everything to another level. But that isn't my expectation.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:20 am

Our lack of bigs really showed last night. Tulsa kept pounding it down low and shot 28 FTs to our 9. Of course, several of those cam when we were trying to extend the game but our weakness was exploited last night. Chargois and Agau combined for 41 minutes during which they collected 7 boards (3 offensive boards by Agau) and 4 points
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 am

Pony_Law wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

What fantasy that we are going to be an above average team in a quasi power basketball league? We are going to be good next year. I like what our roster will look like compaired to the rest of the AAC. 2 things have warped peoples perception. we had 2 extremely good, like should have been sweet 16 type teams, and the aac happened to have down years. Start to worry if the 2019 recruiting class Wiffs.

I wasn’t necessarily talking about next year. That’s why I said upcoming years not year. Just taking a wait and see approach not a fanatasy land or a sky is falling approach. Only time will tell. Go Mustangs.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:33 am

And as everyone knows a lot depends on how the other teams in the conference recruit and develop players as well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Previous

Return to Basketball