PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Post Tulsa Thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Post Tulsa Thoughts

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:01 pm

1) We had a very small chance without Shake.
2) We would have had a good shot if we had come out with some energy that first few minutes of the 2nd half
3) Proud of how Landrum and Douglas played. Douglas gave us so much energy. (There is a lid on the rim for Douglas).
4) Chargois was a ghost. He has really played poorly during conference play outside of 1 or 2 games. Really hit the wall. And has really hurt us, because we have lost Chargois and Jarrey's production since conference started.
5) Gu played really well in the 2nd half and how about 13 rebounds for Jimmy Whitt.
6) I would have liked McMurray attacking more as he has in some previous games, but can't be that mad with 7 3's (41%).
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: Post Tulsa Thoughts

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:06 pm

This game was a sneak peek at our team next season without Shake and we should all be terrified.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Chargois hasn't been the same player since he went down with the flu
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 pm

skyscraper wrote:This game was a sneak peek at our team next season without Shake and we should all be terrified.

Perfect time for a reseat! #moodyreseat
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby ponyboy101 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Chargois hasn't been the same player since he went down with the flu

So adding Isaiah mike, having a healthy Jarrey, keeping jimmy and Jahmal and akoy, having a full offseason of developement from the freshman and adding hunt who can maybe contribute right off the bat doesn’t seem “terrifying” to me
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 pm

ponyboy101 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Chargois hasn't been the same player since he went down with the flu

So adding Isaiah mike, having a healthy Jarrey, keeping jimmy and Jahmal and akoy, having a full offseason of developement from the freshman and adding hunt who can maybe contribute right off the bat doesn’t seem “terrifying” to me

Agree wholeheartedly. This team will be fine, but sure hope Jarrey comes back for a healthy Sr season as he was a huge loss. Without him and Shake, we aren't the same team this year but there is plenty of talent on this roster and SMU will remain a very competitive hoops program.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 pm

Chagois with a full offseason program will likely take a big step next year. Douglas seems to have the work effort I would expect him to take a big step as well. McMurry will learn more about the system and I think will be bette at facilitation next year. Whitt is super solid. Even akoy is starting to show he can give you something. If jarrey is back healthy that’s another 15 and 6 each night. Now add in Mike and hunt and we are going to see a pretty good team.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:14 pm

skyscraper wrote:This game was a sneak peek at our team next season without Shake and we should all be terrified.

Most uninformed post in a while. This team will add Jarrey Foster and Isiah Mike, two all-conference type players.
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Chagois with a full offseason program will likely take a big step next year. Douglas seems to have the work effort I would expect him to take a big step as well. McMurry will learn more about the system and I think will be bette at facilitation next year. Whitt is super solid. Even akoy is starting to show he can give you something. If jarrey is back healthy that’s another 15 and 6 each night. Now add in Mike and hunt and we are going to see a pretty good team.

Agree and I would not rule out Landrum as a contributor as well. He will get stronger and knows he will need tom develop 3 point range to have success at this level.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Sure hope the next recruiting class and transfers are good because this conference will eat middle of the road players up.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Sure hope the next recruiting class and transfers are good because this conference will eat middle of the road players up.

I don't know any team in the conference that would win on the road (not counting ECU and USF) minus their top 2 players... We do need to add another quality Grad-Transfer or Frosh Guard, but we will have a good core next season with McMurray, Whitt, Foster, Mike and Chargois.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 pm

We do not have exceptional returning players. I love Foster, but he's not a first team AAC player. We are hoping for a lot of development and progress on a lot of people to be an NCAA worthy team.
skyscraper

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 pm

skyscraper wrote:We do not have exceptional returning players. I love Foster, but he's not a first team AAC player. We are hoping for a lot of development and progress on a lot of people to be an NCAA worthy team.

I tend to agree but I hope I am wrong. If not some of us might be hit square in the face with a hard dose of reality.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:23 pm

skyscraper wrote:We do not have exceptional returning players. I love Foster, but he's not a first team AAC player. We are hoping for a lot of development and progress on a lot of people to be an NCAA worthy team.

As UC showed last year you don't have to have a bunch of 1st team All-AAC players to be real good. We will have 3-4 2nd team or HM type AAC players on next years roster if Chargois develops as we expect..and Whitt is a pretty dang good glue guy for your 5th starter. I doubt we have the superstar we are accustomed to, unless Mike exceeds expectations, but we will have lots of talented players. With that starting 5, Feron Hunt, Akoy (maybe), 3 other frosh with a year under their belt and hopefully a grad-transfer that sounds like a potential NCAA tourney team to me.

I'm not saying CRAZY development where Chargois is going for 18-8 and Douglas for 10PPG. I'm not projecting a conference title with next years roster, but saying the talent isn't their for a tourney run is just being pessimistic.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Your scenario is possible. There's just a lot of IFs and that's not something SMU basketball has had the past few seasons.
skyscraper

Next

Return to Basketball