PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Post Tulsa Thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Post Tulsa Thoughts

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Thought the team competed well for being so shorthanded but that beginning of the second half (when we theoretically should have been totally rested) was just dismal and frustrating.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Actually SMU has had only ifs each of the last 3 seasons! We just got extremely lucky and stayed injury free before this season.
mustangxc

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm

skyscraper wrote:Your scenario is possible. There's just a lot of IFs and that's not something SMU basketball has had the past few seasons.

Of course. Yours is possible too.

I remember a whole lot of if's before last years team losing Nic, MK, and Tolbert. Could we play small, could we win without Nic, what would Semi give us, would Jarrey step up from his freshman season, would Shake take a big step forward, could Sterling and Ben take on bigger roles and I remember when we were 4-3 lots of people saying that was an NIT team lol.

Tell me what all of the big IF's are in what I was saying about next years team. I am curious your take on the big IFs. Is it a big IF that Mike will be good or that Chargois can progress to a consistent 13-6 guy?
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
skyscraper wrote:We do not have exceptional returning players. I love Foster, but he's not a first team AAC player. We are hoping for a lot of development and progress on a lot of people to be an NCAA worthy team.

As UC showed last year you don't have to have a bunch of 1st team All-AAC players to be real good. We will have 3-4 2nd team or HM type AAC players on next years roster if Chargois develops as we expect..and Whitt is a pretty dang good glue guy for your 5th starter. I doubt we have the superstar we are accustomed to, unless Mike exceeds expectations, but we will have lots of talented players. With that starting 5, Feron Hunt, Akoy (maybe), 3 other frosh with a year under their belt and hopefully a grad-transfer that sounds like a potential NCAA tourney team to me.

I'm not saying CRAZY development where Chargois is going for 18-8 and Douglas for 10PPG. I'm not projecting a conference title with next years roster, but saying the talent isn't their for a tourney run is just being pessimistic.

It’s definitely possible to make an AAC tournament run this year if Shake is 100%.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

McMurray was called on to play extended minutes tonight and appeared to me he lost his legs in that 2nd half and with that his shooting touch. Went 5-9 in 1st half and 2-9 in 2nd half. I agree the guys fought hard but you aren't going to beat too many good teams in this conference at their place with only 7 players, especially when your 2 best players are out.
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

Shake should come back. I do not see a lottery pick, but all the experts disagree so what do I know.

I think Jarrey and Mike could absolutely be all AAC first team. Potential starters next year:

- Shake
- Foster
- Mike
- McMurray
- Chargois

big minutes from Akoy, hopefully Douglas but we will see, maybe Landrum, Hunt

Will be pretty deep in the front court for the first time in forever (Mike/Akoy/Chargois/Hunt).
ojaipony

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 am

ojaipony wrote:Shake should come back. I do not see a lottery pick, but all the experts disagree so what do I know.

I think Jarrey and Mike could absolutely be all AAC first team. Potential starters next year:

- Shake
- Foster
- Mike
- McMurray
- Chargois

big minutes from Akoy, hopefully Douglas but we will see, maybe Landrum, Hunt

Will be pretty deep in the front court for the first time in forever (Mike/Akoy/Chargois/Hunt).

Agree that Shake should come back. I do not believe those that think he is going to go in first or upper half of second round. But he could play his way into first round and win POY next year if he returned.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby deucetz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 am

Lol, Shake is gone. He didn't play last night with a bruised hand because he didn't want to hurt his pro chances.

We would have won last night with a hobbled Shake that could have distributed and taken it to the basket
deucetz
All-American

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 am

deucetz wrote:Lol, Shake is gone. He didn't play last night with a bruised hand because he didn't want to hurt his pro chances.

We would have won last night with a hobbled Shake that could have distributed and taken it to the basket

Completely agree - But don't be surprised if you don't hear his name called in the first round.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 am

You are a fool if you think Shake is in an SMU uniform next season. Foster getting hurt saved us from him leaving as well.
skyscraper

Postby RI Stang » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:45 am

Shake won't be a lottery pick but he will be a first round pick. Guaranteed money - would be foolish for him to come back as much as selfishly I want him back.

I expected pessimism after last night on this board and it didn't disappoint. I was proud of the effort last night, they did not give up in the least. Really, really feel for Gu. Hopefully he can play overseas (assuming he wants to), but this is a tough way to go out and he deserves better after all he's been through.

Maybe the basketball gods are just setting us up for an improbable March run. Oops, sorry for the optimistic thought, my bad.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:48 am

I was pessimistic as soon as I heard Shake was out. After that I thought we did quite well. We need a miracle but miracles do happen.
mustangxc

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:46 pm

RI Stang wrote:Shake won't be a lottery pick but he will be a first round pick. Guaranteed money - would be foolish for him to come back as much as selfishly I want him back.

I expected pessimism after last night on this board and it didn't disappoint. I was proud of the effort last night, they did not give up in the least. Really, really feel for Gu. Hopefully he can play overseas (assuming he wants to), but this is a tough way to go out and he deserves better after all he's been through.

Maybe the basketball gods are just setting us up for an improbable March run. Oops, sorry for the optimistic thought, my bad.

I am very optimistic about the future (some on here are not). But I am not all that optimistic about this 7 man rotation (minus Shake) at Houston and vs. Cincy. Those matchups are bad.

Keep in mind that Tulsa prepped for a Shake 40 minute game. After the half when the adjustments were made, the game completely changed.

Houston and Cincy can prep for a game that includes Shake and one that does not. Don't expect McMurray to get the same open looks that Tulsa game him in the first half.

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Totally agree - without Shake we have a shot vs Memphis, East Carolina and USF but would take an all-world effort to beat anyone else.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Well, thank you Tulsa for delivering at last the "coup de grace" to this year's SMU team. It has been painful to watch the slow chipping away at hope for us. Now we can mentally move on to next year and perhaps a better, more healthy team. Thanks for the effort, especially BE, JF and SM.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball