PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next 4 games

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next 4 games

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Anyone seen The Hurt Locker?
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustang1992 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:56 pm

RI Stang wrote:
Interesting post. "competitive program"? Yes, we definitely have a competitive program. Do we all want it to improve? Absolutely. Is it competitive now? Absolutely.

And how could anyone on this board forget about the re-seat? There are a few posters that post about it on that same thread, saying the same things over and over, on an almost daily basis. After we lose a game it's almost a race to get to that thread to see which one can bump the thread first.
You guys don't like it, we get it. Move on.

No wonder why so many don't come around here any longer..

Guess we disagree about what it means to have a competitive program. USF is also competitive, depending on how you define "competitive." I don't consider hoping for a top half finish and a 4th seed in the AAC, as a best case situation, competitive. And the injuries are a red herring, this team was heading in that direction even before those injuries.

As others have said, it's a message board, I'll continue to post, how I feel, when I feel like it, thanks though.

Maybe they are tired of reading apologetic post for a mediocre athletic program?
mustang1992
All-American

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Never said don't post. Disagree on what would have happened without the injuries but pure speculation either way, no one will ever know. This program has been very competitive over the last few years.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:57 pm

We are still in the national discussion for an at-large NCAA tournament bid. If that is not competitive then I don't know why you ever became a fan because SMU has not been much better than that ever.
mustangxc

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:52 pm

Mustang1992, go ask fans for Maryland, Baylor, Iowa State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgetown, UCONN, OSU, Stanford, Vanderbilt, ect what a competitive program means. They would all trade their season for ours in a heartbeat right now.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mustang92 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Mustang1992, go ask fans for Maryland, Baylor, Iowa State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Georgetown, UCONN, OSU, Stanford, Vanderbilt, ect what a competitive program means. They would all trade their season for ours in a heartbeat right now.

Indeed.

Before 2013-2014 we had been to the NIT once and the CIT once in 20 seasons. We have 3 returning players, 4 freshmen, and 3 transfers - now down to 1 (hopefully 2 for Sunday's game) returning players, 3 freshmen, and 3 transfers (1 of which still isn't 100% after being hospitalized and unable to work out at all for 2 months). We have fewer scholarships available than most teams before we even consider the injuries.

We expect to win, and we expect to go to the Tournament. That's a far cry from 1993-2013. With fewer scholarships and our top 2 players out with injuries, we're still on the bubble. We may end up at the NIT. We may end up with no postseason at all after the conference tournament, but we're all disappointed by the season given all this adversity after 20 years of abysmal basketball.

I think being on the bubble given everything this year and being upset about our season to date most definitely proves that we have a competitive program.
The comments of some that these players are soft or that the team as a whole is under-performing blow my mind. I don't know many teams who could overcome this much adversity or many kids who could handle all this disappointment with as much character and grace.

This season isn't what many of us hoped, but it's not the end of the world. Our program is still on an upward trajectory. All is not lost.
mustang92
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 am

Don't see this team having any chance of the NCAA bid. We are at risk of falling as far as 9th or 10th in the AAC before regular season is over with. Tulsa appears to be in best shape of finishing 4th and we just have to hope our guys can regroup and at least defend Moody when Memphis and Houston come to town.
Charleston Pony

Postby csrlr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 am

Our group of 4 sophomores next year sure appear to be promising. I have liked all 4 of our current freshman. Just hopin we get several more wins and an invite to NIT. Really hope that we get an @Moody NIT game.
csrlr
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:15 am

csrlr wrote:Our group of 4 sophomores next year sure appear to be promising. I have liked all 4 of our current freshman. Just hopin we get several more wins and an invite to NIT. Really hope that we get an @Moody NIT game.

Remember that Mike will be part of next year's Sophs so I agree it is a promising group. Would need to get a # 3 or 4 seed in the NIT to get at least one home game. Might need to finish .500 in AAC play and at least win a 1st round tourney game for that to happen
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball