PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL at Houston thread 2/8/18

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL at Houston thread 2/8/18

Postby tristatecoog » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Did SMU get tired down the stretch with only seven scholarship players and Gray finding his groove?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 pm

When we have needed Gu to rise to the top in the last few games with all of the injuries, he has looked miserable. He has looked lackadaisical on defense, undependable offense and a turnover disaster waiting to happen. Not what you need from a fifth-year senior. But he's had a tendency 2 slide to the back, when you're not playing hardin-simmons type teams.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Did SMU get tired down the stretch with only seven scholarship players and Gray finding his groove?

Gray out hustled our entire team but our guys just tightened up over those last 5 minutes; poor decision after poor decision
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Pony81 wrote:its less choking and more exhaustion and inexperience. Last year we were thin but we had experienced players. This year - 3 freshman, Agau (who plays like an underclassman) ......

Hopefully Shake comes back and we salvage our home season.

What a time to do a reseat??!!!

Akoy was fine, one bad pass that I actually think was more on GU moving instead of staying in space. GU tried to be the guy to go and get a basket but often just lost it on the dribble. We ran bad sets and there was not an smu time out, when we had 2 left, when they went on their run. Kind of inexcusable. LB hated to take timeouts because he didn’t want defenses set, think jank learned some bad habits.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm

MCMurry also clearly can’t be effective playing this many minutes.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 pm

Man we are professional game blowers. Another game where we have the lead and then do something idiotic in the last 5 minutes. Always next year. Chargois and Akoy seem to have switch in the liability department.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Did SMU get tired down the stretch with only seven scholarship players and Gray finding his groove?

Gray out hustled our entire team but our guys just tightened up over those last 5 minutes; poor decision after poor decision

Webster definition of ‘choking’ : with game on the line, individual or worse team, makes poor decision after poor decision.
SoCal_Pony

Postby skyscraper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 pm

We are what we are. An undermanned and inconsistent team.
skyscraper

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 pm

What was both encouraging and discouraging about this game is that Houston is not anywhere near as good a team as I thought they were and with Shake, we probably sweep them this year. I guess that is the encouraging part. The discouraging thing is that the AAC is looking like a 2 bid league that has a bunch of O.K. teams but unless Cincy and Wichita State can represent us well in the post season, we look like a very overrated conference to me. Our team looks like it is headed for a 5th-9th place finish in the AAC and will do well to go .500
Charleston Pony

Postby PonySnob » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:What was both encouraging and discouraging about this game is that Houston is not anywhere near as good a team as I thought they were and with Shake, we probably sweep them this year. I guess that is the encouraging part. The discouraging thing is that the AAC is looking like a 2 bid league that has a bunch of O.K. teams but unless Cincy and Wichita State can represent us well in the post season, we look like a very overrated conference to me. Our team looks like it is headed for a 5th-9th place finish in the AAC and will do well to go .500

Fortunately over 100 teams make a post season tournament

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Pony_Law wrote:MCMurry also clearly can’t be effective playing this many minutes.

Thought the same thing. 2nd game in a row he comes out ON FIRE and is too worn down in the 2nd half to be very productive.

Gu for how great he has been this year KILLED us down the stretch. Whitt and Chargois were ghosts tonight (becoming a theme for Chargois). If we had won, which I thought we had a good shot, it would have been AMAZING.

Bright Spots: Douglas, Landrum and Agau all showed why they were recruited to play here tonight. Hope its a turning point for Douglas.

If Shake comes back we could still make a solid push for 4th or 5th in the league, but definitely a look ahead to next year/NIT type squad. I would guess 11-7 finish with Shake and 9-9 without Shake.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 pm

I was at the game and honestly the officiating really killed us down the stretch. The play where Emelogu did his spin move and lost control of the ball for a turnover was a foul. He wasn't fouled once he lost the ball, he was fouled before he did his spin move and I think the foul is what made him spin. This was immediately after UH had scored a 3 to cut the lead to 57-53 and let the game get our of control culminating in another UH 3 to cut it to 57-56. Once that happened the crowd was unbelievably loud and the refs let the teams play aggressively out of control which is exactly how UH likes to play, out of control. From then on we managed one more point on a FT. I was really impressed with our freshmen and McMurray. I agree that McMurray got tired in the second half. It was great to finally see Douglas get his feet set on the 2 3s he made. It was really pretty obvious when he was going to make his shots and when he was going to miss them because his makes he was perfectly set. I hope this game helps him with his confidence going forward so he can find a rhythm with his shot. I think if he does that he can be our best player. I loved to see Agau step up as well, when he was in the game in the second half he put the team on his back and you could tell the team had a lot of confidence in his low post presence on the offensive end. Momentum swung when he sat on the bench and we just weren't able to get it back. I am extremely encouraged about our prospects going forward, but this was a huge miss on a tremendous opportunity for another resume win to get us back on the right side of the bubble. There is no way we win the conference tournament without Shake. I probably rest Shake for the Cincinnati game as that is a likely loss but go all out against Wichita State and Houston at home as those are likely wins. Pony Up!
mustangxc

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 am

Pony_Law wrote:MCMurry also clearly can’t be effective playing this many minutes.

no doubt about that; he loses his legs down the stretch when his offense is really needed
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:03 am

Embarrassing? Choking? Game blowers? A DOH team?

Are you guys kidding me?

This is an undermanned team playing 3 frosh significant minutes.

Our best scorer isn't in basketball shape.

"Gu won't take over a game". No, really? He was a 6th man last year. He is a very solid, starting role player this year. You don't just step up and be the man. You have to be "the man". All of our stars are injured. Pippen didn't step up and lead the Bulls to a championship. No s***. He wasn't Michael Jordan. And Gu isn't Shake or Jarrey.

We have 7 players. 3 are frosh. 2 are out of shape transfers. Give the kids credit for being ahead on the road against the third best team in the conference with 5 minutes left. There were many points in this game we could have given up and bailed, but didn't. You mean a young team with transfer parts and injured stars has trouble finding a finisher on the road? What a surprise!

IF Shake comes back, Eli, Douglas, and Agau are getting valuable minutes right now that will really have a positive impact. IF Shake comes back, we still have a chance to go on a run, and these last few games will be discounted by the committee because of the injuries.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:23 am

JasonB wrote:Embarrassing? Choking? Game blowers? A DOH team?

Are you guys kidding me?

This is an undermanned team playing 3 frosh significant minutes.

Our best scorer isn't in basketball shape.

"Gu won't take over a game". No, really? He was a 6th man last year. He is a very solid, starting role player this year. You don't just step up and be the man. You have to be "the man". All of our stars are injured. Pippen didn't step up and lead the Bulls to a championship. No s***. He wasn't Michael Jordan. And Gu isn't Shake or Jarrey.

We have 7 players. 3 are frosh. 2 are out of shape transfers. Give the kids credit for being ahead on the road against the third best team in the conference with 5 minutes left. There were many points in this game we could have given up and bailed, but didn't. You mean a young team with transfer parts and injured stars has trouble finding a finisher on the road? What a surprise!

IF Shake comes back, Eli, Douglas, and Agau are getting valuable minutes right now that will really have a positive impact. IF Shake comes back, we still have a chance to go on a run, and these last few games will be discounted by the committee because of the injuries.

This wasn't a matter of having anyone on the court who needed to "take over the game". Everyone knows we are playing without our 2 best players but the simple fact is that our guys blew a 7 point lead and were outscored 17-1 over the last 5 minutes of last night's game. Sorry, but they played very poorly in that stretch and made poor decisions, forced things, did not have good spacing, did not move the ball very well, etc... With a 7 point lead and every possession being critical, they just did not perform...as a group. It wasn't on any ONE player. They ALL played poorly down the stretch and I expect they would all admit it. I understand the being short handed argument and no doubt fatigue was a factor, but the simple fact is that this team has not been able to close games on the road. Choking or just not being nearly as good a team as most seem to think we are? They are clearly a different group on their home court, as is the case with most college basketball teams.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball