PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Freshman Development Issues

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Freshman Development Issues

Postby SMUer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:37 pm

Super Legend! An accomplishment I can’t brag to my wife about
SMUer
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mustangxc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:23 pm

SMUer wrote:I think if you expect to lose all these seniors and you know you have scholarship restrictions then you’re pretty silly for signing kids that aren’t ready to play college ball right away. Nothing that has happened to us has been surprising, and yet we look like we have a bench full of project players we are hoping to blossom. The turnovers, the terrible free throw percentages and the lack of discipline in shot selection all are antithetical to how SMU has played ball and been successful.

I am pretty sure if we could have landed McDonald's All Americans we would have. If anything the mistake the last few years has been to take transfers, but then again, many of our incoming transfers have been our best players. We have been playing russian roulette the last three seasons thanks to the sanctions and it finally caught up to us this season.
mustangxc

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 pm

SMUer wrote:I think if you expect to lose all these seniors and you know you have scholarship restrictions then you’re pretty silly for signing kids that aren’t ready to play college ball right away. Nothing that has happened to us has been surprising, and yet we look like we have a bench full of project players we are hoping to blossom. The turnovers, the terrible free throw percentages and the lack of discipline in shot selection all are antithetical to how SMU has played ball and been successful.

I agree with this and would only add that we completely struck-out on our 3 ‘project’ players from our previous class.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 pm

At the end of the day we have a team that would have made the tournament baring injuries and even with injuries we are likely a high seed NIT team, this coming off a year where we won a conference championship and lost 3 players to the NBA while on sanctions. I’ll give the staff some credit for that because I have some perspective.

Next year will be a big test. If We make the tournament and/or compete in the top 4 of the American, it’s a good sign we have moved into an period of long term success.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 am

Pony_Law wrote:At the end of the day we have a team that would have made the tournament baring injuries and even with injuries we are likely a high seed NIT team, this coming off a year where we won a conference championship and lost 3 players to the NBA while on sanctions. I’ll give the staff some credit for that because I have some perspective.

Next year will be a big test. If We make the tournament and/or compete in the top 4 of the American, it’s a good sign we have moved into an period of long term success.

Exactly. And I agree next year will be a big test, although I would be willing to sacrifice a bit next year if we could land some of those 2019 big fish and load up there.
RI Stang
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball