PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

unofficial: where is the official game thread?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: unofficial: where is the official game thread?

Postby redpony » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:09 pm

well- we saw the future and it really looks ugly.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:12 pm

redpony wrote:well- we saw the future and it really looks ugly.

You mean the future of this season, right? Yes, finishing this season with only 5 scholarship players would be ugly indeed.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

Silver lining: freshmen and sophomores are going to get a bunch of needed minutes against good competition.... also Nic Moore will be at Wednesday’s game per the announcer!
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Silver lining: freshmen and sophomores are going to get a bunch of needed minutes against good competition.... also Nic Moore will be at Wednesday’s game per the announcer!

Indeed! Also really proud of the effort of the guys today - they didn't mail it in at any point and I think most surely would have. Agau played his [deleted] off - best game by far as a Mustang as he had to go it alone against their bigs. That guy has something - hopefully he can teach Ethan in the offseason to toughen up.

Speaking of Ethan, I couldn't believe how bad it looked when he came out to the bench in the 2nd half. That cast/walking boot/whatever it is went most of the way up his leg. I'm thinking at this point he AND Shake are done for the year and Gu may have to miss Wed with that hand injury now. Good grief, time for open tryouts!

Honestly - even if we are offered a NIT bid we may be forced to decline it for lack of bodies. I have never seen anything like this before. Even Hunt had a walking boot on and he's not even on the roster yet!
RI Stang
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm

Unbelievable the injuries.

Big disappointment was Douglas playing so scared. He had made good progress forward but this was a downer.

I think Ray, Douglas, and Landrum have the ability to be good players on a good team. But they aren't center pieces. Ethan might be a center piece. We need some next level talent to add to a solid core. Shake and Foster next year will make this a super deep team and give us that talent and another NCAA bid. But without those guys, this is an NIT team next season I think.
JasonB

Postby RI Stang » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Foster isn't leaving - no way he enters the draft with a torn ACL - he wouldn't even be able to work out before the draft and no one had him as a first round pick BEFORE the injury. Shake though is gone unless the injury is much more serious then we've been led to believe.

So basically you are losing Shake and Gu and adding Mike and Hunt. Hopefully there is a grand transfer combo guard out there that we can add as well. IF we can and IF Foster bounces back and IF Mike is as good as advertised we can make the tourney. But that is a lot of ifs. Will be more unknowns than we've had in years - also have these freshmen that hopefully make the big jump that many do in year two.

Looking forward to watching it unfold. Pony Up.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Ikus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 pm

What about Agau? Is he coming back?

I have been wary of him, but he played his heart out today against a team that sent waves of big guys at him. His stock went up in my mind, and I'd like to see him back.

If you lose Shake and Gu, keep Agau and Foster, get Mike eligible and add Feron Hunt and Jahmar Young, there will be some growing pains, since Shake and Gu have played a ton of games. But you also don't see games like today, because you'd have 5 bigs (not small guys trying to play big): Agau, Chargois, Ray, Young, Mike.

Sure would be a different look.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Ikus wrote:What about Agau? Is he coming back?

I have been wary of him, but he played his heart out today against a team that sent waves of big guys at him. His stock went up in my mind, and I'd like to see him back.

If you lose Shake and Gu, keep Agau and Foster, get Mike eligible and add Feron Hunt and Jahmar Young, there will be some growing pains, since Shake and Gu have played a ton of games. But you also don't see games like today, because you'd have 5 bigs (not small guys trying to play big): Agau, Chargois, Ray, Young, Mike.

Sure would be a different look.

Agau has another year.

Listening to Jank's press conference - he is right that the crowd did a nice job of applauding and cheering the kids on when we were down. Very aware of the situation surrounding the team.
JasonB

Previous

Return to Basketball