PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hats off to our Ponies!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hats off to our Ponies!

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

hoopmanx wrote:The 2016 class was Jank and Duncs b/c LB didn't trust KT after some pretty bad trail misses...see Barefield. We got what we could, what was easy.

What you may or may not know is that Jank privately lobbied not to extend LB, cause that wasn't part of his original HCIW deal. Jank also wanted Bruno to stick w/SMU, but as he was LB's, LB took him and handed to Turg who is struggling for his job. That also gave Kansas, Silvio DE Sousa, who LB handed to Self. Same guy handled both kids and guess how far he lives from campus lol?

Lets be real, we aren't going after nearly the same caliber of kid since LB left. Landrum is a top 250 kid that's 5'10 w/o a legitass jumper? Seriously? Ray never played high end ball. He didn't play this year b/c he doesnt get or understand man D lol. Douglas, albeit a talent, played against ritzy honkeys and is catching up to the speed.

How'd you like losing Archie to TCU, who wanted SMU, b/c Jank didnt realize Maxeys Dad and Archies Dad arent boys? That's effing childs play background info that we missed on, after spending how long prioritizing the kid. Now, we have to sweat Tyrese's announcement?

So what you're saying is there's not going to be a Jank t-shirt ?
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Here's another angle, that I've only shared w/a select few. I help run an academy team. We played this entire season in the most competitive league and tournament series in America, by far. We were a first year program, so not loaded in the way others were, but we fared ok, and I saw everyone in '19, '20 and some in '21.

When you have that type of intimate knowledge of who's really elite and game changers, it gets weird when you hear SMU staff say they are too good for kids that are better than others on the active roster. I got woke. I don't quite get who and how we're prospecting. That said, I have tremendous respect for Duncs in particular to get us kids, KT as well. Even Stout. Forrest, not so much
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Hoopman seems pretty much on point. I like Landrum's energy, but it seems a little too fast and reckless (think John Wooden, "be fast but not in a hurry"). Landrum tries too rely on his handles and gets out of control. Douglas just doesn't seem to have the speed and has not found his shot. Everett I didn't see enough of this year, but he has a great body and motor. Maybe next year his offense comes around. Ethan is a gem. I think he lost so much weight and getting the flu zapped him. With a season off proper conditioning, he comes back next year with JFoster, IMike and Ethan, and that's a pretty solid core of experience.

I know we are getting killed with the scholarship sanctions because (1) we don't have a body there; and (2) we can't take an outside chance of a developmental player that may take a year to catch up.

I wondered how we lost Bruno and some of the others. Great insight.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I often wonder if the plan is to continue to work the transfer market.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:18 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:The 2016 class was Jank and Duncs b/c LB didn't trust KT after some pretty bad trail misses...see Barefield. We got what we could, what was easy.

What you may or may not know is that Jank privately lobbied not to extend LB, cause that wasn't part of his original HCIW deal. Jank also wanted Bruno to stick w/SMU, but as he was LB's, LB took him and handed to Turg who is struggling for his job. That also gave Kansas, Silvio DE Sousa, who LB handed to Self. Same guy handled both kids and guess how far he lives from campus lol?

Lets be real, we aren't going after nearly the same caliber of kid since LB left. Landrum is a top 250 kid that's 5'10 w/o a legitass jumper? Seriously? Ray never played high end ball. He didn't play this year b/c he doesnt get or understand man D lol. Douglas, albeit a talent, played against ritzy honkeys and is catching up to the speed.

How'd you like losing Archie to TCU, who wanted SMU, b/c Jank didnt realize Maxeys Dad and Archies Dad arent boys? That's effing childs play background info that we missed on, after spending how long prioritizing the kid. Now, we have to sweat Tyrese's announcement?

So what you're saying is there's not going to be a Jank t-shirt ?

I'm more likely to do a 1981 SMU national championship shirt
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Sigh.
One Trick Pony

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:21 pm

How bout a 1984 Chaminade Invitational 3rd Place t shirt
RGV Pony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:22 pm

2015 Las Vegas Classic champions shirt
skyscraper

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:42 pm

PonyLaw90 wrote: With a season off proper conditioning, he comes back next year with JFoster, IMike and Ethan, and that's a pretty solid core of experience.

Add Whitt, McMurray & Agau and we have a very capable 1st 6 guys. As you say, just have to hope Ethan can get stronger and that Jarrey comes back strong and Mike is as advertised. Then if we get any production from the incoming frosh or Landrum, Douglas & Ray, I feel pretty good about our being able to compete in the AAC next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Don't get me started. Yeah kids, bad Jank. I get we're missing 44 pts from line up, but does that excuse that woeful zone we never switched out of. Don't @me with we were undermanned, can't go man. What you can't do is give up 10 ft jumpers by design. Just don't miss on the entire '16 and half of '17 class, and injuries and sanctions are far less an issue

I agree that Missing on the entire 2016 class is hurting right now but I'm not sure if that is on Jank as those were LB recruited players (and they were dealing with contact limitations from the penalty). Now are you saying the entire 2017 class is a miss as well? I don't know If I agree with that statement. I think Ethan has shown enough for me to think he is going to end up as a top AAC player before he is done. Guys his size with that kind of shooting touch and ball skills are just tough to defend. I also like the raw talent I see from Douglas and Landrum so I think they will end up at least as above average AAC players.

Now I think there are some fair criticisms for Jank and how they are playing there 2-3 zone. Syracuse does not get killed inside like Tulsa and Cinci did to SMU against the zone. Part of that I wonder is when you are stuck with undersized guys playing in the 3 line. Also Jank isn't a zone coach so who knows how competent he is at teaching the 2-3 and adjusting the 2-3 based on match ups. Jank has had some nice coaching games, But I think he clearly struggles in responding to other teams runs/adjustments late in game. It's like he freezes sometimes.

He said half the 2017 class not the entire 2017 class.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

I think 2016 was grabbing what we could because of contact and visit restrictions. I wouldn't go too negative on Duncan or Jank for missing there.
JasonB

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonyLaw90 wrote: With a season off proper conditioning, he comes back next year with JFoster, IMike and Ethan, and that's a pretty solid core of experience.

Add Whitt, McMurray & Agau and we have a very capable 1st 6 guys. As you say, just have to hope Ethan can get stronger and that Jarrey comes back strong and Mike is as advertised. Then if we get any production from the incoming frosh or Landrum, Douglas & Ray, I feel pretty good about our being able to compete in the AAC next year.

Sounds like a team vying for 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th place in a 2-bid conference.

Glad (in a way) that Hoopmanx confirmed my suspicions. 2 from this class stay. That means 2 out of 7 these past 2 years, not acceptable.
SoCal_Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 pm

One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball