PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hats off to our Ponies!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Hats off to our Ponies!

Postby Stangster » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Anyone who criticizes this team has never played basketball. Anyone who criticizes this staff has never coached basketball. Our hats go off to these boys and coaches. We have your backs and that won't change. Proud of our team! Go Ponies!!
Stangster

Re: Hats off to our Ponies!

Postby giacfsp » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Outstanding heart and effort today.

Sure hope Ethan and Shake aren't done for the year
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 pm

This seems a little excessive. Our team has taken some serious lumps and some are criticizing them excessively, but I don't think anyone on the team is proud of today's game. More of a "put it behind you and move on" scenario, in my opinion. Sure, they're "just college kids", but they're not Little Leaguers; every one of these guys expects (rightfully) better.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Effort seemed there, and I think anyone knew with only one post player we wouldn't hang with UC. Akoy did really well by himself all game. Very impressive I thought. Jimmmy also had a strong game. Our freshman looked like freshman. Mcmurray seemed out of it first half.

I think the staff could have done better working plays to get shooters open. This is the kind of game where we miss LB.

Whether you have played basketball or not is irrelevant.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Akoy has improved a bunch but his lack of mobility was pretty evident as Cincy was able to get off all these shots in the paint and he's not able to get to rebounds away from the bucket--but he's doing his best and there's continued improvement. What this team really really needs is at least one rim protector--SMU had some decent dribble drives but Cincy numerous times had a back-side rim protector who would block or alter SMU's shots. SMU didn't have anybody to contest, alter or block those short jump shots by Cincy
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Chargois hurt or being punished :?:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 am

Chargois hurt his ankle is shootaround like an hour ish before the game.

I expect more from our freshman and hope they continue to progress like they did against UH over last 6 games. Struggled tonight. Gu did too, but he is dinged too. We have the worst injury bug this season I can ever remember for a SMU basketball team. It’s crazy bad luck.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 am

Loved Jank's post game comment and appreciation for the fans who stayed well beyond the point when it was obvious there was no hope of competing in this game. Agree the "silver lining" if there is one will be that Landrum and Douglas get extended minutes to finish out this season. I just hope these guys can win another couple of games and at least finish with a winning record. Post season or not, that would be an accomplishment at this point.
Charleston Pony

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 am

We stayed the whole game. We didn't see any "quit" in our guys. We were completely out-manned by a really good Cincinnati team, but we didn't give up. I think that bodes well for the character of our players and the coaches.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby BUS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

Ditto HEB
Our Mustangs are Mustangs and they fought, never gave up and kept working to score. WE have your back.
Wish we could collectively give the team.... a hand, two ankles and a knee.
Thank you Coaches - Keep on pushing.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 am

Don't get me started. Yeah kids, bad Jank. I get we're missing 44 pts from line up, but does that excuse that woeful zone we never switched out of. Don't @me with we were undermanned, can't go man. What you can't do is give up 10 ft jumpers by design. Just don't miss on the entire '16 and half of '17 class, and injuries and sanctions are far less an issue
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

In the postgame PC Jank insinuated that only 2 of the players are healthy right now. He would not say which ones or what was wrong with some of the ones that we don't know about.

Assume he is talking about Akoy and Ben not being 100% ... but perhaps McMurray and or Whitt have something going on too?

He kept referencing not wanting to give away info for game planning reasons.

If you did not watch the PC - this was one you should watch.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am

hoopmanx wrote:Don't get me started. Yeah kids, bad Jank. I get we're missing 44 pts from line up, but does that excuse that woeful zone we never switched out of. Don't @me with we were undermanned, can't go man. What you can't do is give up 10 ft jumpers by design. Just don't miss on the entire '16 and half of '17 class, and injuries and sanctions are far less an issue

I agree that Missing on the entire 2016 class is hurting right now but I'm not sure if that is on Jank as those were LB recruited players (and they were dealing with contact limitations from the penalty). Now are you saying the entire 2017 class is a miss as well? I don't know If I agree with that statement. I think Ethan has shown enough for me to think he is going to end up as a top AAC player before he is done. Guys his size with that kind of shooting touch and ball skills are just tough to defend. I also like the raw talent I see from Douglas and Landrum so I think they will end up at least as above average AAC players.

Now I think there are some fair criticisms for Jank and how they are playing there 2-3 zone. Syracuse does not get killed inside like Tulsa and Cinci did to SMU against the zone. Part of that I wonder is when you are stuck with undersized guys playing in the 3 line. Also Jank isn't a zone coach so who knows how competent he is at teaching the 2-3 and adjusting the 2-3 based on match ups. Jank has had some nice coaching games, But I think he clearly struggles in responding to other teams runs/adjustments late in game. It's like he freezes sometimes.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 am

hoopmanx wrote:Don't get me started. Yeah kids, bad Jank. I get we're missing 44 pts from line up, but does that excuse that woeful zone we never switched out of. Don't @me with we were undermanned, can't go man. What you can't do is give up 10 ft jumpers by design. Just don't miss on the entire '16 and half of '17 class, and injuries and sanctions are far less an issue

The 2016 class was Larry's not Jankovich's. Just saying.
mustangxc

Postby hoopmanx » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm

The 2016 class was Jank and Duncs b/c LB didn't trust KT after some pretty bad trail misses...see Barefield. We got what we could, what was easy.

What you may or may not know is that Jank privately lobbied not to extend LB, cause that wasn't part of his original HCIW deal. Jank also wanted Bruno to stick w/SMU, but as he was LB's, LB took him and handed to Turg who is struggling for his job. That also gave Kansas, Silvio DE Sousa, who LB handed to Self. Same guy handled both kids and guess how far he lives from campus lol?

Lets be real, we aren't going after nearly the same caliber of kid since LB left. Landrum is a top 250 kid that's 5'10 w/o a legitass jumper? Seriously? Ray never played high end ball. He didn't play this year b/c he doesnt get or understand man D lol. Douglas, albeit a talent, played against ritzy honkeys and is catching up to the speed.

How'd you like losing Archie to TCU, who wanted SMU, b/c Jank didnt realize Maxeys Dad and Archies Dad arent boys? That's effing childs play background info that we missed on, after spending how long prioritizing the kid. Now, we have to sweat Tyrese's announcement?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Basketball