PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year's team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year's team

Postby JasonB » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Landrum is going to be fine. Great handles, very quick, and explosive leap. Shot looks good even though it hasn't gone in. Super quick hands on defense.

As I posted in the other thread, I show him that replay in the second half where he split two defenders, elevated at the line and nailed the mid-range. That is his gold right there. He should be doing that over, and over, and over again until the other team has to dive and help which will leave our wings open for threes.

I actually think he will start over Jimmy Whitt at point next season. There is my crazy prediction of the evening.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 pm

JasonB wrote:I actually think he will start over Jimmy Whitt at point next season. There is my crazy prediction of the evening.

That is a pretty crazy prediction, but I'd be pretty thrilled if it became reality. (Assuming it's due to a pretty significant Landrum step up and not a Whitt step back - or injury.)
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Landrum is not starting over Whitt-who fills the box score up-example 5 steals tonite and what 16 points, 7 rebounds, plays defense with his long arms, hard to shoot over on the perimeter, hits shots at a much higher %, fights for rebounds. He's superior at just about everything they keep stats on. Landrum is playing better but he's not been that effective in distributing the ball which has really slowed down the effectiveness of the Offense. He does have a good dribble but what happens after that has not been that effective. He's getting better I'll admit
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 am

I think it’s more likely Landrum is asked to transfer than he starts over Whitt next year lol.

A guy under 6’0 who can’t shoot the 3 and and has no ability to finish in traffic around the bucket isn’t going to start at SMU. Maybe UNT.

Landrum could be a solid contributor for us if he puts in the work, but unless he gets WAY better he isn’t even close to beating out Whitt.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:19 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:I think it’s more likely Landrum is asked to transfer than he starts over Whitt next year lol.

A guy under 6’0 who can’t shoot the 3 and and has no ability to finish in traffic around the bucket isn’t going to start at SMU. Maybe UNT.

Landrum could be a solid contributor for us if he puts in the work, but unless he gets WAY better he isn’t even close to beating out Whitt.

Landrum seems to have some skills that could make him into a really nice pass first point guard. You can't teach that type of quickness and I think it's possible he already has the best handles on the team. He has also flashed some nice passing and vision. Because of his height though, he needs to work himself into a 35%+ three point shooter and he needs to make those floaters and mid range jumpers Nic was really good at. If he does that he is going to be a nice player. Nic obviously started at a higher level offensively but by the time we saw him play he had 2 years worth of D1 practice under his belt and he learned to play PG from LB who knew how to take undersized PGs to incredible levels.

Whitt is an interesting case. I don't know if he could ever develop a deeper shot given his form but he has the mid range, handles, and athletacism that he can be a seriously good D1 player. I'd like to see him improve his aggressiveness and his passing in traffic. doing so would make him better in pick and roll, though a lot the issues I see when he runs pick and roll are bad screens and rolls by Akoy and Chagois.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:I think it’s more likely Landrum is asked to transfer than he starts over Whitt next year lol.

Landrum seems to have some skills that could make him into a really nice pass first point guard. You can't teach that type of quickness and I think it's possible he already has the best handles on the team. He has also flashed some nice passing and vision. Because of his height though, he needs to work himself into a 35%+ three point shooter and he needs to make those floaters and mid range jumpers Nic was really good at. If he does that he is going to be a nice player. Nic obviously started at a higher level offensively but by the time we saw him play he had 2 years worth of D1 practice under his belt and he learned to play PG from LB who knew how to take undersized PGs to incredible levels.

Whitt is an interesting case. I don't know if he could ever develop a deeper shot given his form but he has the mid range, handles, and athletacism that he can be a seriously good D1 player. I'd like to see him improve his aggressiveness and his passing in traffic. doing so would make him better in pick and roll, though a lot the issues I see when he runs pick and roll are bad screens and rolls by Akoy and Chagois.

Yep my hope is that he develops into a Justin Jenifer at Cincy. He could be that same type of player. Like Jenifer it took him two years to really get adjusted. As you said he just has to become a decently consistent outside shooter and develop a nice pull up/floater. Landrum's disadvantage is that, unlike Nic, he was so explosive and athletic in HS he didn't have to develop a finesse game. That is something Landrum is going to have to put ALOT of hours into to develop here if he wants to be a major contributor down the line.

I just hope he isn't like Galen Robinson at UH who is so athletic and handles the ball great, but is a MAJOR liability on offense, because he has trouble finishing in traffic at his size and can't shoot his way out of a wet paper bag.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm

One stat about Landrum that is lost because of his poor shooting is that he leads the team with a better than 3:1 assist:turnover ratio and that's what I want out of my PG. Admittedly that comes in limited minutes and I agree with those who say he needs to become a 3 point threat to really become a significant contributor at this level. His quickness helps to offset his defensive liability somewhat and he does get some steals, but unless Landrum suddenly becomes a Nic Moore type of offensive threat, I don't see him as anything but a backup to Jimmy Whitt next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:15 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:

Yep my hope is that he develops into a Justin Jenifer at Cincy. He could be that same type of player. Like Jenifer it took him two years to really get adjusted. As you said he just has to become a decently consistent outside shooter and develop a nice pull up/floater. Landrum's disadvantage is that, unlike Nic, he was so explosive and athletic in HS he didn't have to develop a finesse game. That is something Landrum is going to have to put ALOT of hours into to develop here if he wants to be a major contributor down the line.

I just hope he isn't like Galen Robinson at UH who is so athletic and handles the ball great, but is a MAJOR liability on offense, because he has trouble finishing in traffic at his size and can't shoot his way out of a wet paper bag.

Look at Landrum's form and balance. Who do you think has a better chance to be a consistent 3 point shooter, him or Whitt? He has better handles, he is quicker, he has much more upside from deep than Whitt because of the quirky shot. When he gets confidence in the pull up at the free throw line... Whitt has a better feel for the game right now, and the length is an advantage on defense. But Whitt to me is a combo guard that can't shoot from deep, while Eli is your true point.
JasonB

Postby Ponyneighbor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 am

My base case for next year’s team is “average”. Best case scenario is Shake and Jarrey return, in which case you’ve got 5 guys who can ball: Shake, Jarrey, Mike, Whitt and McMurray. None of the rest have proven they can be regular “plus” contributors, but that’s why they’re on the bench, and maybe someone makes the leap. That team would threaten to make the tournament. Worst case, Shake goes pro, Jarrey doesn’t fully recover from injury, and the rest of the guys play like the stiffs they’ve been for the better part of this year (and yes, that includes Chargois). That team will suck almost as bad as the current team has been for the past five games. Base case is somewhere in the middle.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball