PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year's team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Next year's team

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 pm

While the panic goes on in other threads, it's still amazing what we could run out there next year with just incremental progress from the freshmen...

Forwards: Chargois, Agau, Mike, Hunt, Jarrey

Guards: Whitt, McMurray, Douglas

I'm not including Ray and Landrum because I'm not counting on significant minutes from them next year.

If we add a grad transfer guard to that lineup, that team will have some serious skill. Assuming Douglas and Chargois improve a little and Akoy is healthy all year.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Re: Next year's team

Postby edwa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Landrum getting more minutes then douglas currently yet you think he wont make significant contribution next year
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 pm

edwa wrote:Landrum getting more minutes then douglas currently yet you think he wont make significant contribution next year

This. And he is the one guy who can beat players off the dribble.

And I'll add that Ray will get more playing time for Hunt. One scout at practice thought he was actually going to end up as the best pro prospect before the season started.

I think we see a more traditional lineup:
PG: Whitt/Eli
SG: McMurray/Douglas
SF: Jarrey/Douglas
PF: Mike/Ray
C: Chargois/Agau

Maybe due to range Chargois plays PF and Ray C. I think Douglas because of his rebounding potential is a better wing than a forward, I wonder if we are looking to sign another guard.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 am

JasonB wrote:
edwa wrote:Landrum getting more minutes then douglas currently yet you think he wont make significant contribution next year

This. And he is the one guy who can beat players off the dribble.

And I'll add that Ray will get more playing time for Hunt. One scout at practice thought he was actually going to end up as the best pro prospect before the season started.

I think we see a more traditional lineup:
PG: Whitt/Eli
SG: McMurray/Douglas
SF: Jarrey/Douglas
PF: Mike/Ray
C: Chargois/Agau

Maybe due to range Chargois plays PF and Ray C. I think Douglas because of his rebounding potential is a better wing than a forward, I wonder if we are looking to sign another guard.

They are optimistic Ray will be a good player down the line, but best NBA prospect could barley get on the court when when Akoy was hurt this season. He can’t play man-man defense without fouling, doesn’t rotate well, and has no offensive flow. He is an outstanding rebounder and a good athlete, but he has a long way to go to beat out anyone for minutes, since he was last on the pecking order this year and is coming off an injury. I am with you though he is more of a small ball 5 than a 4.

The reason he says that about Douglas is because the staff thinks Douglas is best NBA prospect of the frosh. He has the best work ethic, is much bigger than Landrum and has a much better jumper. Both are struggling shooting but FT% tell the story on stroke even when guys are struggling. Landrum could be a decent contributor, but Douglas has a much brighter future.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

Lol well I guess things are settled then because things never change from year to year...

And I said I wasn't counting on a significant contribution next year, not that he won't. Fortunately we don't have to rely on that. I like Ray and Douglas I just think they need more time to develop.

It's a massive defensive liability to have 2 short guys on the court so if McMurray starts next year you are going to have to limit Landrum's minutes.

I also think Douglas makes a leap next year.

My position on Hunt is he is too good of an athlete not to get a few minutes as long as he buys in on the defensive end.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am

Why is everyone discounting Jahmar Young? what's the story?
Pony ^

Postby smupony94 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Pony ^ wrote:Why is everyone discounting Jahmar Young? what's the story?

Wild card although I hear he has an absolute huge upside
smupony94

Postby RI Stang » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am

smupony94 wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Why is everyone discounting Jahmar Young? what's the story?

Wild card although I hear he has an absolute huge upside

The preference is redshirt if at all possible. If he is a walk-on and redshirt, it's a huge plus.

Still think we definitely need to add a grad transfer guard to the mix - not very comfortable going into the season with only Whitt and McMurray as our primary guards. Would think grad transfers would see a great opportunity in that backcourt. That of course assumes Shake leaves (and Young doesn't take that scholarship).
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Yep. They want to redshirt Young and if you have ever seen him in person you would see why. He is SUPER thin, like makes young Ben Moore look like he has a college ready frame. Young is also super raw. The potential is definitely there, but he is 100% a project. There is a reason he doesn't have a huge offer list at his size and athleticism. It's because he will take time to develop, but if done right he could be a big time contributor on both ends.

I'm with PonyFan on Hunt. He is too big, long and athletic not to play next season. He is a real good defender and rebounder too. His flaw on D is he plays with his hands too much from time to time. If he buys in defensively he should play quite a bit. He is elite when attacking and finishing around the bucket, but needs to continue to develop his jumper. It isn't bad, but similar to Jarrey he just needs to put in the work on it.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

Rice Football thought they were so smart redshirting all their freshman football players. This year they had 4 of their starters transfer as graduate transfers. They ain't getting those redshirt years back.

If it doesn't cost us a scholarship then no biggie-but mobility in college athletics is rising annually. If he has such a high up-side then you need to understand that you might not get 5 actual years out of him anyway due to various reasons including turning pro or graduate transfer.

I think schools need to reanalyze recruits in all sports on an individual basis to determine whether redshirting that particular recruit is really such a great idea. One positive-our players really seem to love the school - we've had barely any graduate transfers in any sport. Also, I think schools may not take the quality recruit who physically is going to take a few years to develop. There could be a trend to recruit JUCOs, 1 year JUCOs, transfers and graduate transfer rather than develop them during redshirt years. Example: Why waste the typical 2-3 years needed for an Offensive Lineman to develop when you can get a more mature transfer Offensive Line who can play immediately?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Okay maybe it’s me focusing on the negatives but I just don’t get why Douglas is so much higher than Landrum. Didn’t we see like 3 air balls from Douglas in the last game??
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Size and motor
mustangxc

Postby SMUer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I think you guys are totally being homers, that roster doesn’t scream top three in the AAC to me. Praying for tremendous player development...
SMUer

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

It's not like Landrum hasn't had a few ugly shots this year.

As for the homers comment, there are definitely some assumptions built in, like that Isaiha Mike is as awesome as some claim, or that McMurray will buy into team ball, or that passing will again become a legitimate part of Jank's offense, or that Jarrey will be fully healed. But think about all of the pieces Cincy and WSU will be replacing. It's not like top 3 is totally out of reach. There is still talent on this roster.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

PonyFan32 wrote:But think about all of the pieces Cincy and WSU will be replacing. It's not like top 3 is totally out of reach.

This really is key. Cincinnati has a once in a decade (or more) roster and Wichita State is stacked with seniors this year. The top 3 will be a bit softer next year. In fact, I'd have a hard time ranking the top 5.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball