PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year's team

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year's team

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Okay maybe it’s me focusing on the negatives but I just don’t get why Douglas is so much higher than Landrum. Didn’t we see like 3 air balls from Douglas in the last game??

Was mentioned, but the main reasons Douglas has a higher ceiling are size, work ethic and shooting touch.
1) Size can be overcome, but it takes an elite skill set and shot. Landrum is a long way off from that. Landrum can drive get in the lane, but has no moves to finish in college. Size limits you on D and getting your shot off as well.
2) Douglas has a crazy work-ethic and Landrum from what I’ve heard has a decent one, but not anything special.
3) Touch. Watch them shoot. Look at FT%, which shows touch. Douglas has a great touch. The game is just so fast for him he doesn’t set his feet. When he sets his feet and follows through he makes a very high %. When he doesn’t he misses. Landrum just shoots moon balls and even in HS wasn’t a high % shooter. Also, tidbit if you’ve ever heard about his practice habits he is almost always practicing dunking in open gym and not shooting.

I think Landrum could become Justin Jenifer (my hope) from Cincy for us when he is a junior. They are the same type of player. He just doesn’t have the ceiling to ever be a starter or key guy for us. Can’t be that small and not have an elite floater and be able to nail the 3 consistency. Could be a good role guy as a veteran.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 am

Douglas has the tools physically and athletically to be really good. You can see it in the way he moves in the court, fights on the glass, and plays defense. He also has decent handles and he has a nice shooting stroke that he hits when he sets his feet.

As for landrum, to me it looks he changes his shot to have way more arc on it (probably to shoot over long net taller D1 basketball players) and he just hasn’t developed the muscle memory yet on the range. It’s the kind of thing that I think could come around with dedication to takeong thousands of shots in the gym. We will see if he puts the work in. He does have crazy quickness and handles which could be turned into a really nice game if he works at it.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 am

smupony94 wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Why is everyone discounting Jahmar Young? what's the story?

Wild card although I hear he has an absolute huge upside

Random Q... googled jahmar young and got a 31 year old professional basketball player in the Lebanese basketball league. Our commit is jahmar jr. - any idea if his pops plays overseas in Lebanon
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby skyscraper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Bottom line is we are hoping for A LOT of development out of A LOT of pieces. It's certainly possible, but not guaranteed.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

At this point, I will just be excited to have 11 eligible and available scholarship players on next year's roster. Huge improvement over what we might see the rest of this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Lebanese4Life wrote:
Random Q... googled jahmar young and got a 31 year old professional basketball player in the Lebanese basketball league. Our commit is jahmar jr. - any idea if his pops plays overseas in Lebanon

The math doesn't work out -- unless senior fathered a child at 12 or 13 years old.
ponyboy

Postby Hoofprint » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:22 pm

Idle thought: what if Shake Milton's injury is worse than we think, he's either limited or prevented from working out for scouts ... and he decides to come back next year?

Seems unlikely, but that would beat any transfer candidate anywhere
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Hoofprint wrote:Idle thought: what if Shake Milton's injury is worse than we think, he's either limited or prevented from working out for scouts ... and he decides to come back next year?

Seems unlikely, but that would beat any transfer candidate anywhere

that would make Shake's injury the definition of a "blessing in disguise" for SMU fans
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Pony_Law wrote:Douglas has the tools physically and athletically to be really good. You can see it in the way he moves in the court, fights on the glass, and plays defense. He also has decent handles and he has a nice shooting stroke that he hits when he sets his feet.

As for landrum, to me it looks he changes his shot to have way more arc on it (probably to shoot over long net taller D1 basketball players) and he just hasn’t developed the muscle memory yet on the range. It’s the kind of thing that I think could come around with dedication to takeong thousands of shots in the gym. We will see if he puts the work in. He does have crazy quickness and handles which could be turned into a really nice game if he works at it.

When we recruit Oklahoma, I want to be competing against OU and OK State.

Look at our OK players. Everyone wanted Shake. Chargois had offers from both OU and Ok State. Landrum had offers from neither OK or OK state. I'm usually leery of a player coming out OK without offers either of those 2 schools. So he's a project that might contribute in years 3 and 4. I don't like that strategy.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:Douglas has the tools physically and athletically to be really good. You can see it in the way he moves in the court, fights on the glass, and plays defense. He also has decent handles and he has a nice shooting stroke that he hits when he sets his feet.

Look at our OK players. Everyone wanted Shake. Chargois had offers from both OU and Ok State. Landrum had offers from neither OK or OK state. I'm usually leery of a player coming out OK without offers either of those 2 schools. So he's a project that might contribute in years 3 and 4. I don't like that strategy.

Not necessarily. He's just a little guy. Nic Moore wasn't highly recruited out of H.S. because he also was too small to get love from Big 10 schools. Nic worked hard to be able to play among the trees. Landrum needs to learn that lesson. He's got the handles and quickness to penetrate and dish but REALLY needs to hit threes to become a significant contributor. One big difference was that Nic was a player as a frosh and just kept getting better. Too early to tell about Landrum.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm going to guess the strategy was not to only count on landrum in years 3 and 4
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:

Not necessarily. He's just a little guy. Nic Moore wasn't highly recruited out of H.S. because he also was too small to get love from Big 10 schools. Nic worked hard to be able to play among the trees. Landrum needs to learn that lesson. He's got the handles and quickness to penetrate and dish but REALLY needs to hit threes to become a significant contributor. One big difference was that Nic was a player as a frosh and just kept getting better. Too early to tell about Landrum.

Nic is an exception to the rule. He was all-Freshman and scored 25 points in his last game as a Freshman in the NITs against Stanford.

I would rather acquire a Nic Moore the way SMU did, btw.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Not necessarily. He's just a little guy. Nic Moore wasn't highly recruited out of H.S. because he also was too small to get love from Big 10 schools. Nic worked hard to be able to play among the trees. Landrum needs to learn that lesson. He's got the handles and quickness to penetrate and dish but REALLY needs to hit threes to become a significant contributor. One big difference was that Nic was a player as a frosh and just kept getting better. Too early to tell about Landrum.

Nic is an exception to the rule. He was all-Freshman and scored 25 points in his last game as a Freshman in the NITs against Stanford.

I would rather acquire a Nic Moore the way SMU did, btw.

It's not remotely fair to compare anyone to Nic Moore. Greatest player I've seen (and one of the greatest ever) at SMU, despite being nowhere near NBA size.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm

I just hope Shake recovers 100% from his injury whether he comes back or not.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Rebel10 wrote:I just hope Shake recovers 100% from his injury whether he comes back or not.

Second that. Hope he has a long NBA career. Great representative of our University.
PonyFan32
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball