PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Probation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Probation

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm

PonyKai wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:When he said he was on the BOT of the Pye regime I quit listening.

Weren’t Dedman, Cox & Hunt all on the BOT as well? Don’t know why that would disqualify his opinions.

Personally, his detachment from reality and painfully transparent axe to grind is what disqualifies them for me.

Yep, I get that.

My bigger concern for SMU however is not academics, not athletics. His criticisms of RGT and our BOT is valid IMO.

Also our 0-55-1 record vs Big12 South is not on Tom Rossely, Mike Cavan, PB, tiki or chad, all of whom served under RGT. It's on President Turner.

"The Buck Stops Here" - President Harry S Truman
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

If you want to be thought a liar, always tell the truth.
One Trick Pony

Probation

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:54 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I do not need someone who is responsible for our position criticizing the position we are in.

I've never recalled Mex speaking specifically about Pye, but I always feel he is pro-sports, something Pye clearly was not.

I disagree with him on his tiki take, but I agree with him on other points.

I really don't know. What did Mex to that was responsible for our demise*?

* - demise meaning the position we are in
if you do not think the Pye regime had anything to do with where we are today then it does not matter what either of us says or thinks.

What I hear from Mex is that everything is Turners fault.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:If you want to be thought a liar, always tell the truth.

smupony94

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:48 pm

This thread is confusing to someone who is not on the "inside". I have no idea of what to believe.

Mex seems to imply that someone on the current payroll at SMU who is in charge of athletic admissions turned in our basketball program to the NCAA - oh yes, and she is married to our compliance guy.

If true - this makes me sick.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:55 pm

And it aint
RGV Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm

mrydel wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I do not need someone who is responsible for our position criticizing the position we are in.

I've never recalled Mex speaking specifically about Pye, but I always feel he is pro-sports, something Pye clearly was not.

if you do not think the Pye regime had anything to do with where we are today then it does not matter what either of us says or thinks.

Not to put words into your mouth, but are you saying by the mere fact that he served on the BOT during Pye's tenure discredits him? As I stated earlier, didn't Ray Hunt, Robert Dedman and Edwin Cox all serve on the BOT under Pye. I'm sure there were other high-profile individuals, I can't recall. So you think ALL of them are guilty or just Mex and a few others? Was Mex a Pye-lackey?, I really don't know. He comes across as pro-athletics to me...that's part of why he posts on PFs. That's why I'm asking.

Maybe Mex will respond.
SoCal_Pony

Postby smupony94 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

PonyTime wrote:This thread is confusing to someone who is not on the "inside". I have no idea of what to believe.

Mex seems to imply that someone on the current payroll at SMU who is in charge of athletic admissions turned in our basketball program to the NCAA - oh yes, and she is married to our compliance guy.

If true - this makes me sick.

I am no fan of our AD's office but Mex is full of [deleted] about the married couple.
smupony94

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:[quote="mrydel"]I do not need someone who is responsible for our position criticizing the position we are in.

Not to put words into your mouth, but are you saying by the mere fact that he served on the BOT during Pye's tenure discredits him? As I stated earlier, didn't Ray Hunt, Robert Dedman and Edwin Cox all serve on the BOT under Pye. I'm sure there were other high-profile individuals, I can't recall. So you think ALL of them are guilty or just Mex and a few others? Was Mex a Pye-lackey?, I really don't know. He comes across as pro-athletics to me...that's part of why he posts on PFs. That's why I'm asking.

Maybe Mex will respond.[/quote]
Well since you did put words in my mouth this will be my last post on this thread. Anyone who was part of the Pye group was responsible for setting our athletic programs back 25 years. If you did not agree with him and his policies, that were drastic, I think you should have resigned or at least had been vocal enough to be heard in the opposition. No, I am not blaming just Mex. as I stated, it was the Pye regime.

That is all long gone. But I find it very hypocritical to be blaming Turner for everything, when the Pye group, of which Mex was included,was part of what got us into the hole we were in for many years.

And that is all I have to say about that.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:22 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Yep, I get that.

My bigger concern for SMU however is not academics, not athletics. His criticisms of RGT and our BOT is valid IMO.

Also our 0-55-1 record vs Big12 South is not on Tom Rossely, Mike Cavan, PB, tiki or chad, all of whom served under RGT. It's on President Turner.

And that's why it's so irritating for me, personally. He likes to start by drawing your attention to a very broad, general, vague truth. In this case, that our leadership has been around for a long, long time, it has grown stale, it's overly-concentrated in one person, our board is too large and too deferential, and generally they're incapable of maximizing potential in a number of areas. From that general truth, he likes to proceed into a number of wildly off base, inaccurate, intentionally misleading, bizarre borderline conspiracy theory ideas that he simply preaches as gospel, as if it's written down in a text book.

Turner can be old news, stale, have too much power, and need to be replaced because as a matter of general principle, because having the same guy lead any entity for more than two decades is a bad idea. He can also just be not that great at either 1.) spearheading athletic success himself or 2.) hiring the right people to do so. It's not exactly breaking news that a lot of people just aren't that great at certain things.

Here's what else is true: he's not some secret anti-athletics guy, he's attended every frickin basketball game in twenty years; June was fired because he was criminally negligent at 70% of his job; Chad left because he's a grifter and got a 3.5M offer from the SEC; Larry left because he, quite literally, has done that at every.single.job.he.has.ever.had.ever; Turner didn't turn in Tubbs, although that itself was a criminally negligent hire; Turner was going to approve the stupid IPF on the Mrs. Baird's site years ago until June bitched about crossing Mockingbird; Turner gave Orsini the authority to build the Circle of Champions even if he thought he'd fail; Turner fired Orsini when he was running his mouth and simultaneously running the most hysterically awful hoops coaching search in the history of ever; he allowed the Moody renovation, Crum was built, he frickin signed off on Larry Brown and Larry hired Snacks and Maligi and was jet-setting around the entire country flaunting our stuff to the NCAA and asking to get nailed; we turned ourselves in to the NCAA because we have the most sordid history with the NCAA in all of athletics, Larry has a sordid history with the NCAA, the NCAA had just implemented a new penalty policy, and without the benefit of hindsight its entirely reasonable to make a judgment call as to getting off light by working with the NCAA instead of digging your heels in and getting sledgehammered down the line; it's absolute crap to suggest Turner pushed getting Tulane into the AAC over the objections of a dozen other schools.

That's one enormous run on sentence. Basically, his bizarre theories about intentionally trying to destroy everything is absolute crap. Hoops has had every frickin' tool necessary to succeed for the last six years, and this bizarre rant about the mountains some of our people behind the scenes move to make it successful is unhinged from reality.

And moving on to his favorite whipping boy Rick Hart- the guy might not be great at cocktail parties, but he hired Chad Morris with zero leaks. He then, when Chad was trying to bail to Baylor, had wrapped up an EXTREMELY impressive hire without any leaks (Join 24/7 and you'll know exactly who SMU had set to replace Morris). He then went out and hired Dykes--in a buyers market with no clear-cut hot-stuff assistants--while Cal is paying 70% of his salary, and who turned around and put together top to bottom the best staff SMU has had in football in 30 years. And he got the stupid practice facility built despite the fact that a bunch of money promising to be there when he hired Chad didn't come through. And he even adjusted the specs for the IPC simply because Sonny asked him to make a couple changes for the benefit of the program.

None of that is to be cranky towards you. Turner has been here way too long, and needs to go do something else with his time. But the idea that there is this vast conspiracy theory operating at every level to somehow keep SMU from achieving its potential is just wrong. We made bad hires, didn't pay them enough, and didn't quickly enough remove all the damage Pye did. You don't need a tin foil hat to see that.
PonyKai

Postby Pony81 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Well said PonyKai. Pretty spot on.
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 pm

I can't read all that in one sitting lol
One Trick Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:11 pm

PonyKai wrote:

And that's why it's so irritating for me, personally. He likes to start by drawing your attention to a very broad, general, vague truth. In this case, that our leadership has been around for a long, long time, it has grown stale, it's overly-concentrated in one person, our board is too large and too deferential, and generally they're incapable of maximizing potential in a number of areas. From that general truth, he likes to proceed into a number of wildly off base, inaccurate, intentionally misleading, bizarre borderline conspiracy theory ideas that he simply preaches as gospel, as if it's written down in a text book.

Turner can be old news, stale, have too much power, and need to be replaced because as a matter of general principle, because having the same guy lead any entity for more than two decades is a bad idea. He can also just be not that great at either 1.) spearheading athletic success himself or 2.) hiring the right people to do so. It's not exactly breaking news that a lot of people just aren't that great at certain things.

Here's what else is true: he's not some secret anti-athletics guy, he's attended every frickin basketball game in twenty years; June was fired because he was criminally negligent at 70% of his job; Chad left because he's a grifter and got a 3.5M offer from the SEC; Larry left because he, quite literally, has done that at every.single.job.he.has.ever.had.ever; Turner didn't turn in Tubbs, although that itself was a criminally negligent hire; Turner was going to approve the stupid IPF on the Mrs. Baird's site years ago until June bitched about crossing Mockingbird; Turner gave Orsini the authority to build the Circle of Champions even if he thought he'd fail; Turner fired Orsini when he was running his mouth and simultaneously running the most hysterically awful hoops coaching search in the history of ever; he allowed the Moody renovation, Crum was built, he frickin signed off on Larry Brown and Larry hired Snacks and Maligi and was jet-setting around the entire country flaunting our stuff to the NCAA and asking to get nailed; we turned ourselves in to the NCAA because we have the most sordid history with the NCAA in all of athletics, Larry has a sordid history with the NCAA, the NCAA had just implemented a new penalty policy, and without the benefit of hindsight its entirely reasonable to make a judgment call as to getting off light by working with the NCAA instead of digging your heels in and getting sledgehammered down the line; it's absolute crap to suggest Turner pushed getting Tulane into the AAC over the objections of a dozen other schools.

That's one enormous run on sentence. Basically, his bizarre theories about intentionally trying to destroy everything is absolute crap. Hoops has had every frickin' tool necessary to succeed for the last six years, and this bizarre rant about the mountains some of our people behind the scenes move to make it successful is unhinged from reality.

And moving on to his favorite whipping boy Rick Hart- the guy might not be great at cocktail parties, but he hired Chad Morris with zero leaks. He then, when Chad was trying to bail to Baylor, had wrapped up an EXTREMELY impressive hire without any leaks (Join 24/7 and you'll know exactly who SMU had set to replace Morris). He then went out and hired Dykes--in a buyers market with no clear-cut hot-stuff assistants--while Cal is paying 70% of his salary, and who turned around and put together top to bottom the best staff SMU has had in football in 30 years. And he got the stupid practice facility built despite the fact that a bunch of money promising to be there when he hired Chad didn't come through. And he even adjusted the specs for the IPC simply because Sonny asked him to make a couple changes for the benefit of the program.

None of that is to be cranky towards you. Turner has been here way too long, and needs to go do something else with his time. But the idea that there is this vast conspiracy theory operating at every level to somehow keep SMU from achieving its potential is just wrong. We made bad hires, didn't pay them enough, and didn't quickly enough remove all the damage Pye did. You don't need a tin foil hat to see that.

Kai, solid post and I agree that RGT is no secret anti-athletics guy. As I've stated, my issues with him are far more academic than athletic. I'm sure I'm in a minority here, but if SMU could become a Top 35 academic school with competitive BB, soccer, golf, tennis and swim teams while dissolving our FB program, I would take that in a heartbeat.
SoCal_Pony

Postby MV pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 pm

PonyKai wrote:

And the worst hire was Turner. If only SMU had TCU's administration or one similar.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 pm

mrydel wrote:If you did not agree with Pye and his policies, that were drastic, I think you should have resigned or at least had been vocal enough to be heard in the opposition. No, I am not blaming just Mex. as I stated, it was the Pye regime.

OK, I get where you are coming from. Nothing specific (he probably was not a Pye-lapdog) just association and silence.

I happen to share the same sentiment when it comes to Forrest Gregg.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball