PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Probation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Probation

Postby Dutch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm

MV pony wrote:And the worst hire was Turner. If only SMU had TCU's administration or one similar.

Oh yeah. Do you know what his job even is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:30 pm

MV pony wrote:And the worst hire was Turner. If only SMU had TCU's administration or one similar.

I don't know what Turner is good at.

He's been ok recently at athletics but his whole body of work I'd give him a C.

Academics have trended sideways while Dallas has grown exponentially, I follow our B-school closer as I am a Cox grad, I think he kept Niemi way too long. I'll give him a B-

He appears to be good at fundraising, yet I had a finance professor almost 40 years ago predict SMU's endowment would take off due to all its wealthy alumni aging. SMU's endowment ranking has actually declined under RGT's watch. I'll be generous and give him a B+

I'm sure he's good at some things, he's definitely good at maintaining power, I'll give him that.

Crazy to think he might serve close to 30 years here.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm

I can agree with that
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyKai » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Almost forgot, Turner totes stepped in and stopped Jank from pulling a power recruiting move to hire Maxey's dad. The exact move we'd watch other schools do for the last 20 years and go "man I wish SMU would at least try those things." And he personally intervened to stop Larry from bringing over the, ahem, very troubled former Arizona Point Guard who turned around and went to play overseas. And who can forget when Turner personally intervened to prevent Frazier from getting into SMU when basically every other school except TTU had stopped really recruiting him. And then there was the time Turner stopped Larry from hiring "Administrative Help" directly from Bill Self. And when he said no, you can't basically hire a second head basketball coach and pay him 750K to sit on the bench. And the time Turner personally said no I will not ever tolerate alcohol sales at SMU sporting events. And then those dozens of academic washouts June liked to whine about. Except it was actually only approximately 7. And none of them ever went on to take a single D-1 snap in a regular season game.

Alright, we all get the point. But seriously if you look at the entire body of work and actually pay attention to the facts, this isn't some 9/11 truther conspiracy to keep SMU athletics down because heaven forbid if we get good and people pay attention that's somehow BAD. We are (or at least we were) slow, cheap, and made sh*tty hires.
PonyKai

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 am

ponykai won this thread, even if it takes a fancy schmancy degree to get through it all.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball