PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Probation

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Probation

Postby PonyFan32 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:33 pm

You can say that we deserved some penalty without saying we got what we deserved.

Also come on let's not let the NCAA off the hook here. Severe penalties including the death penalty have been on the table for decades if the NCAA wanted to give it to anyone else. Old rules, new rules is irrelevant to what they could have given. It only speaks to what they had to give as a penalty
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 am

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:47 am

"Speaking of - if only Jank would have fired off an email to himself to remind himself that Larry Brown had a meeting telling the entire staff to obey all NCAA laws and run everything "By the Book" - - we would be in the clear on all of these issues."

Oh my....just saw this. That's pretty good. Touche. :lol:
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am

PonySnob wrote:The worst thing is that Keith Frazier wasn’t worth all of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s worth it to UTEP
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Don't know when, but this thig is going to get ugly at some point

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -16-seeds/
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:51 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Don't know when, but this thig is going to get ugly at some point

Is it wrong that I'm kind of excited? If this fizzles out, I will be supremely disappointed.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:16 am

SMU Section F wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Don't know when, but this thig is going to get ugly at some point

Is it wrong that I'm kind of excited? If this fizzles out, I will be supremely disappointed.

As long as we don't end up on the list, but then again...safety in numbers I suppose. If SMU is out there alone, an example would be made but if standing next to blue bloods, a slap on the wrist would be more appropriate.
Charleston Pony

Postby PonyTime » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am

One more - let this sink in...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:59 am

They will probably have to suspend a trainer for 2 games and pay a $50 fine.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mexmustang » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

We were probably (most certainly) guilty. But, the NCAA doesn't play by the rules either.
First, unlike all the other programs mentioned here with earlier academic violations, or worse violations, it took a book, or a former player(s) to turn them in. Are we just stupid, stupid, stupid? The NCAA is a corrupt organization how can you trust them to be anything to objectively.

We, turned ourselves in. How can you go into a police station, announce you were guilty of a felony and then expect to lower your penalty? or to successfully appeal your sentence? SMU is a volunteer, not a victim. We didn't prepare for our defense, did we lawyer up Larry Brown? did we aggressively appeal? rather, we naively trusted an organization to be fair when we all knew they are not. Those other schools, aggressively lawyered up, defended and protected their coaches, and for the most part, retained them, and either got a reduced penalty or off scot free.

SMU went into full gear, spent a great deal of time and money going through our servers, identifying the computer and turning in the evidence to the NCAA trying to prove guilt.

Stallion, you are probably correct about the timing and penalties required, but did we even argue the points as finely or as aggressively as UNC? --that the course wasn't even required for HS graduation? I just think we did a poor job all around. Typical limp wrist SMU support for our coaches and athletic programs.

We still have a major conflict in our Athletic Department, positions of husband and wife effectively bookending our athletes and coaches. One in charge of atheltic admissions and eligiblity and the other in charge of compliance. I have a real problem with this. Husband and wife? The same department? Compounding their power? The coaches I've talked to say that the former, is absolutely no help to them, treats them like the enemy and has a real attidude because she knows her husband's position allows her the power she in not entitled to have.

Once more, there isn't a single person in the Athletic Department played D-1 football or basketball.

My own feeling is she got angry with Keith's academic admission that was done over her head. Keith obviously required someone over her head to make an exception, and as a result she was out to prove to everyone she was right.

Looking back, I still feel that as Larry gained popularity, the administration wanted him out. Popular coaches, don't have time for the amateurs in our Athletic Department.

I laugh at the reasoning behind our "reseat". The comparision of SMU to the other schools mentioned just doesn't measure up. We don't have one NCAA tournament win in decades. Many of these schools have had big NCAA runs and several national championships. Unless we have some luck in recruiting, and do so quickly, we won't see a "win" in the next three tournaments. In two years we will have yet another coaching search.

Stallion I understand your views on pricing of BB tickets (support), but this sure seems like terrible timing. Quite frankly I find it insulting. The same group trying to increase ticket prices (donor level, etc.) was the same group that mishandled our sanctions and penalties, that has done absoultely nothing to market football (I've seen no effort at all). Even our so-called Olympic sports don't measure up.

This group of administrators are looking for the easy way out, rather than work aggressively on the community to increase football support they schedule a Michigan paycheck in football or increase the cost of basketball, a program that now seems to be in decline. We used to joke about the loyal "700" or "1200" fans that put up with supporting one of the worst athletic programs in D-1 over the past 30 years. Well, we finally lost much of their support--and I find it very sad. These people are now in their retirement years, have less dispossible income and don't see an end to the mediocrity. The school has essentially told them, we don't care about your passion, your loyalty, your years in the Mustang Club, we are elitists.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I'd say we particitpate rather than compete.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Peruna88 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Mexmustang wrote:Once more, there isn't a single person in the Athletic Department played D-1 football or basketball.

Mike Walker works in the Mustang Club office. I see him at just about every basketball game. So, there's one. :)
Peruna88
All-American

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Mexmustang wrote:We were probably (most certainly) guilty. But, the NCAA doesn't play by the rules either.
First, unlike all the other programs mentioned here with earlier academic violations, or worse violations, it took a book, or a former player(s) to turn them in. Are we just stupid, stupid, stupid? The NCAA is a corrupt organization how can you trust them to be anything to objectively.

We, turned ourselves We, turned ourselves in. How can you go into a police station, announce you were guilty of a felony and then expect to lower your penalty? or to successfully appeal your sentence? SMU is a volunteer, not a victim. We didn't prepare for our defense, did we lawyer up Larry Brown? did we aggressively appeal? rather, we naively trusted an organization to be fair when we all knew they are not. Those other schools, aggressively lawyered up, defended and protected their coaches, and for the most part, retained them, and either got a reduced penalty or off scot free.

SMU went into full gear, spent a great deal of time and money going through our servers, identifying the computer and turning in the evidence to the NCAA trying to prove guilt.. How can you go into a police station, announce you were guilty of a felony and then expect to lower your penalty? or to successfully appeal your sentence? SMU is a volunteer, not a victim. We didn't prepare for our defense, did we lawyer up Larry Brown? did we aggressively appeal? rather, we naively trusted an organization to be fair when we all knew they are not. Those other schools, aggressively lawyered up, defended and protected their coaches, and for the most part, retained them, and either got a reduced penalty or off scot free.

SMU went into full gear, spent a great deal of time and money going through our servers, identifying the computer and turning in the evidence to the NCAA trying to prove guilt.

Stallion, you are probably correct about the timing and penalties required, but did we even argue the points as finely or as aggressively as UNC? --that the course wasn't even required for HS graduation? I just think we did a poor job all around. Typical limp wrist SMU support for our coaches and athletic programs.

We still have a major conflict in our Athletic Department, positions of husband and wife effectively bookending our athletes and coaches. One in charge of atheltic admissions and eligiblity and the other in charge of compliance. I have a real problem with this. Husband and wife? The same department? Compounding their power? The coaches I've talked to say that the former, is absolutely no help to them, treats them like the enemy and has a real attidude because she knows her husband's position allows her the power she in not entitled to have.

Once more, there isn't a single person in the Athletic Department played D-1 football or basketball.

My own feeling is she got angry with Keith's academic admission that was done over her head. Keith obviously required someone over her head to make an exception, and as a result she was out to prove to everyone she was right.

Looking back, I still feel that as Larry gained popularity, the administration wanted him out. Popular coaches, don't have time for the amateurs in our Athletic Department.

I laugh at the reasoning behind our "reseat". The comparision of SMU to the other schools mentioned just doesn't measure up. We don't have one NCAA tournament win in decades. Many of these schools have had big NCAA runs and several national championships. Unless we have some luck in recruiting, and do so quickly, we won't see a "win" in the next three tournaments. In two years we will have yet another coaching search.

Stallion I understand your views on pricing of BB tickets (support), but this sure seems like terrible timing. Quite frankly I find it insulting. The same group trying to increase ticket prices (donor level, etc.) was the same group that mishandled our sanctions and penalties, that has done absoultely nothing to market football (I've seen no effort at all). Even our so-called Olympic sports don't measure up.

This group of administrators are looking for the easy way out, rather than work aggressively on the community to increase football support they schedule a Michigan paycheck in football or increase the cost of basketball, a program that now seems to be in decline. We used to joke about the loyal "700" or "1200" fans that put up with supporting one of the worst athletic programs in D-1 over the past 30 years. Well, we finally lost much of their support--and I find it very sad. These people are now in their retirement years, have less dispossible income and don't see an end to the mediocrity. The school has essentially told them, we don't care about your passion, your loyalty, your years in the Mustang Club, we are elitists.

Excellent Post Mex, that’s Gold.

We turned ourselves in. How can you go into a police station, announce you were guilty of a felony and then expect to lower your penalty or to successfully appeal your sentence. SMU is a volunteer, not a victim. SMU went into full gear, spent a great deal of time and money going through our servers, identifying the computer and turning in the evidence to the NCAA trying to prove guilt.

Looking at today’s results, there is no doubt this decision will cost our university millions. Yet no one will be held accountable.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Julian Grendel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 pm

Mexmustang wrote:We were probably (most certainly) guilty. But, the NCAA doesn't play by the rules either.

We, turned ourselves in. How can you go into a police station, announce you were guilty of a felony and then expect to lower your penalty? or to successfully appeal your sentence? SMU is a volunteer, not a victim. We didn't prepare for our defense, did we lawyer up Larry Brown? did we aggressively appeal? rather, we naively trusted an organization to be fair when we all knew they are not. Those other schools, aggressively lawyered up, defended and protected their coaches, and for the most part, retained them, and either got a reduced penalty or off scot free.

you left out Turner
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyKai » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:43 pm

You have absolutely no freaking clue what you’re talking about. Which is why when people systematically distantle your axe grinding sessions in other places you stroll over here to peddle the same garbage. If your anger and irritation blinds you to obvious truths and creates the need to invent these fanciful, mythical multi-level conspiracy theories with zero actual evidence to support then, please, I beg of you, find something else to do with your time and money.
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball