PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BBALL recruiting decline

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BBALL recruiting decline

Postby mustangxc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:
PonyLaw90 wrote:
FRazier didn't pan out so that whole 4 star designation is nonsense.

It’s hardly an exact science but to call it ‘nonsense’ is complete BS.

Recent 4-Star+ players at SMU - Keith, Semi, Sterling Brown, Shake.

3 have / will have NBA careers. That’s a 75% success rate.

Semi was a 5-star player. Sterling was a 3-star player. Keith Frazier, Shake Milton, Jimmy Whitt, Markus Kennedy, Cannen Cunningham, Shawn Williams, Nick Russell were 4-stars. Other impact 3-star players include Jarrey Foster, Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Jahmal McMurray.

Our recent NBA success rate is:
5-star 100% (Semi)
4-star 1/7 (Shake)
3-star 3/? (Sterling, Ben, Jarrey)
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:11 pm

flawed line of discussion. First several years of Larry, we cheated balls w/Snacks and Ulric. Then, we tried to recruit in a sanction year whcih is tough sledding w/a tourney ban and blemished rep. Then, Larry left SMU during the July open period. The last class was put together in like 2 months after all LBs guys wanted out.

Criticisms abound, but IF Shake and Jarrey return, there team is loaded, no talent shortage. Our current play is part injury, part less discipline. We're going to be less disciplined under Jank, cause that's his schtick. He's not LB. The key is to be equally as talented and should we ditch some dead wood, add a few pieces, no issue.

Look at Shakes year. He was number 1 priority out of HS, but not far behind was Jimmy Whitt. If you tell staff they have both a year later, they soil their sweats. Doesn't matter they are spaced a class, premise holds. Meanwhile, we have junk class rankings? Who cares?
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm

BTW - - Larry Brown was at UCONN's game last week. Met with their team and Ollie. Christian Vital mentions that LB tried to recruit him to SMU.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-men-notebook-usf-0208-story.html

Has Larry even attended any SMU games this year?
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:29 pm

LB made it to at least a practice. I think he lives in Philly so it's probably a lot easier for him to sneak over to UCONN. Ollie is part of the LB "family" so it doesn't surprise me at all that he would stop by and give him some encouragement in what is likely his last year there.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:16 pm

hoopmanx wrote:flawed line of discussion. First several years of Larry, we cheated balls w/Snacks and Ulric. Then, we tried to recruit in a sanction year whcih is tough sledding w/a tourney ban and blemished rep. Then, Larry left SMU during the July open period. The last class was put together in like 2 months after all LBs guys wanted out.

Criticisms abound, but IF Shake and Jarrey return, there team is loaded, no talent shortage. Our current play is part injury, part less discipline. We're going to be less disciplined under Jank, cause that's his schtick. He's not LB. The key is to be equally as talented and should we ditch some dead wood, add a few pieces, no issue.

Look at Shakes year. He was number 1 priority out of HS, but not far behind was Jimmy Whitt. If you tell staff they have both a year later, they soil their sweats. Doesn't matter they are spaced a class, premise holds. Meanwhile, we have junk class rankings? Who cares?

Hoop, who do you think the "dead wood" that should be ditched is?

I would for sure ditch Ray or Akoy and go get a JuCo big (like I saw someone mention Jethro Tshiumpa) and then if Shake leaves try and replace him with, as mentioned above, a ready 4-star freshman guard or a Grad-Transfer shooter. We have talent for next year, we just need Shake back and/or a game ready guard to go with hopefully another game ready big.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm

I agree the deadwood is Akoy. He had maybe 1 or 2 games that were decent. I understand he had his injury but we can't play charity/cushion of time to heal with the limited scholarships. I think Ray should get a year to see how he progresses. Chargois is starting to look like a dud during the conference. He's in a tail dive but should be given a year. It's no surprise why we are losing. If we had decent support, a player who scores what 33 points (McMurray) should be on the winning team. I believe 2nd was Jimmy but not enough production and sloppy defense to turn the tide. Memphis was not a good team whereas we are a good team with few ready players to compete at the moment. I know this is defeatist rhetoric but I really just want the season to end and look forward to next opening later this year.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

11 sure isn't going to like this off season
smupony94

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm

smupony94 wrote:11 sure isn't going to like this off season

:(
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

i agree, lets give Chargois a year lol
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Given all the momentum of our program, these last 2 classes have been huge disappointments IMO and the main reason we may have a sub .500 season and to skyscraper’s post, the main reason Jank loses his job.

Coach Doh’s last 2 recruiting classes at SMU:

2011 - Jalen, Cannen, Manuel class ranked #66
2012 - Blaise, Bernardi class ranked #55

I wish our last two classes were anywhere close to the 2011 class.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:I understand and agree with what you are saying Stallion regarding transfers.

I’m talking about HS kids we have signed over the past 2 years and comparing them to Doh’s classes.

Really don’t see much separation between the 2 which reflects poorly on Jank given of all the clear advantages he has.

You can rank #66 in the Country in recruiting rankings, because you only have 2 commits and could have signed a Top 100 4-star and a 3-star you really like and then add an Isiaha Mike level as transfer. That could be a normal 3 person class and that would be a REALLY solid class, but you are ranked #66, because you only signed two freshman. Is that considered poor recruiting? No. You can't focus just on recruiting rankings. You can make it simple and say his recruiting numbers are too low, which I agree he needs to recruit at least a bit better, but you have to weigh the additions of guys who aren't mentioned in recruiting rankings.

Valid points, Express, but don't know how applicable they are to my argument as over the past 2 years Jank recruited 7 HS players while over his last 2 years Doh recruited 8.

Regardless, I just see these past 2 years very Doh-like. I do think that instead of signing players ranked below ~170 nationally, just go the transfer route. SMU has a lot to offer.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 pm

mustangxc wrote:
SoCal_Pony wrote:
PonyLaw90 wrote:
FRazier didn't pan out so that whole 4 star designation is nonsense.

It’s hardly an exact science but to call it ‘nonsense’ is complete BS.

Recent 4-Star+ players at SMU - Keith, Semi, Sterling Brown, Shake.

3 have / will have NBA careers. That’s a 75% success rate.

Semi was a 5-star player. Sterling was a 3-star player. Keith Frazier, Shake Milton, Jimmy Whitt, Markus Kennedy, Cannen Cunningham, Shawn Williams, Nick Russell were 4-stars. Other impact 3-star players include Jarrey Foster, Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Jahmal McMurray.

Our recent NBA success rate is:
5-star 100% (Semi)
4-star 1/7 (Shake)
3-star 3/? (Sterling, Ben, Jarrey)

Don't know your source xc, but mine is 24/7 Composite. Sterling was a 4* (#109), while Cannen was a 3* (#147), I didn't look at the others, just the SMU recruited ones. l said 4-Star+ because of Semi.
SoCal_Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Looks like Chargois prefers to be a big three-point shooter at this point, which is at least something.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I agree with the comments some have made re: transfers...have to consider them when you are evaluating each year's class. Going back to Markus and Nic, this program has consistently added some pretty talented transfers. Do we give Jank any credit for McMurray and Mike (assuming the latter becomes the player everyone expects him to be)?
Charleston Pony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Pony_Law wrote:LB made it to at least a practice. I think he lives in Philly so it's probably a lot easier for him to sneak over to UCONN. Ollie is part of the LB "family" so it doesn't surprise me at all that he would stop by and give him some encouragement in what is likely his last year there.

LB sold the house in Philly a few years ago. He lives down the street from my office in East Hampton, NY but hasn’t been seen around that much this fall and winter. I run into him around town quite often in summer.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball