PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL at UCF thread 2/17/18 - wake up early

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL at UCF thread 2/17/18 - wake up early

Postby oilpony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Arkpony wrote:As has been the pattern we start running out of gas in the closing minutes.

When starters are playing 35+ mins a game its going to happen
oilpony
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm

The rest of this season is an opportunity for Landrum and Douglas to prove they belong. I like what I've been seeing from Landrum the last couple of games but Douglas is a huge disappointment right now. I will give Ethan a pass because we saw the player he could be before his illness/injury. Would have been a great opportunity for Ray to get some PT if he hadn't gone down.

Let's face it...we REALLY are going to need Jarrey to come back full strength and for Mike to be an impact player to be competitive in the AAC next year. I think Whitt, McMurray, Jarrey, Ethan and Mike could be a pretty good starting 5 but not sure who will provide any productive depth. Agau can provide some low post depth but Landrum and Douglas will need to improve tremendously to be significant contributors at this level.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

At this point, Douglass is a miss.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby oilpony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Lets don’t give up on the freshman. As I recall there were several on this board that wanted to run Gu out of town during his first year of eligibility. I think he has turned out to be a pretty good player
oilpony
All-American

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:No wins are likely down the stretch but maybe some good comes out of the adversity.

We all get new seats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm

oilpony wrote:Lets don’t give up on the freshman. As I recall there were several on this board that wanted to run Gu out of town during his first year of eligibility. I think he has turned out to be a pretty good player

Didn’t Gu average over 10 points/game his Freshmen year at VTech, an ACC, not AAC conference?
SoCal_Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:41 pm

oilpony wrote:Lets don’t give up on the freshman. As I recall there were several on this board that wanted to run Gu out of town during his first year of eligibility. I think he has turned out to be a pretty good player

You make a good point about how quickly some came to criticize Gu but he had demonstrated an ability to play at this level by earning a starting role at Va Tech as a frosh. He did not shoot the three well his soph season, but did a lot of other things well and was playing with a really good team that year. Right now, these frosh are (or should be) playing with as little pressure as they will their entire careers. It's pretty obvious this team is done for this season.

What frustrates me about Douglas in particular is that he has consistently been able to get into the lane and rather than pulling up and hitting shots, he's kicking everything out to guys who are not even being left wide open. As I watch, I'm practically begging him to get more aggressive offensively. He needs to become more of a scorer to develop any confidence out there but he appears to be playing scared all the time. At least Landrum has been more aggressive of late and I can forgive "aggressive mistakes" but he definitely needs to develop 3 point shooting range to be an effective offensive player at this level. I do think Ethan will be fine if he can get healthy and stonger and has a better supporting cast around him. I really wish Ray was healthy so he could have been getting more minutes this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

You make a good point about how quickly some came to criticize Gu but he had demonstrated an ability to play at this level by earning a starting role at Va Tech as a frosh. He did not shoot the three well his soph season, but did a lot of other things well and was playing with a really good team that year. Right now, these frosh are (or should be) playing with as little pressure as they will their entire careers. It's pretty obvious this team is done for this season.

What frustrates me about Douglas in particular is that he has consistently been able to get into the lane and rather than pulling up and hitting shots, he's kicking everything out to guys who are not even being left wide open. As I watch, I'm practically begging him to get more aggressive offensively. He needs to become more of a scorer to develop any confidence out there but he appears to be playing scared all the time. At least Landrum has been more aggressive of late and I can forgive "aggressive mistakes" but he definitely needs to develop 3 point shooting range to be an effective offensive player at this level. I do think Ethan will be fine if he can get healthy and stonger and has a better supporting cast around him. I really wish Ray was healthy so he could have been getting more minutes this year.

It isn't just Douglas, it is the entire team. Benn happening all year too, even before the injury. Nobody looks to finish the midrange or go strong to the rim. Everyone drives a little and looks to kick. When you play bad teams and the defender has to help, that is fine. But when the defender doesn't help, you have to go strong.

Douglas is so timid, he has space to shoot threes and passes the ball every time. Nobody on this team can afford to have 1 shot attempt in 19 minutes. Eli only had 4 in 30. As invisible as McMurray was, he still managed to put up 8 shots in 40. Our players need to shoot the damn ball. The longer our possessions run, the more frequently we turn the ball over anyway.

If I'm Jank, I do two things. 1) I bring in some football players to practice against. Let Eli and Douglas go off. Get them some confidence against scrubs in practice. But the lack of practice is really showing. 2) I go a little Larry Borwn with discipline. I include the walkons in the rotation and everytime someone makes a bad decision to pass up an open shot on offense, I pull them and play the next guy until they pass up a shot.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:57 pm

I agree, but we need to upgrade the roster next season. That happens by adding more firepower. Sitting on our hands and hoping that Landrum, Douglas and Ray all make a major jump is asking to be average next season.

Don't chase them all off, because you want to develop the ones with the highest ceilings, but we don't have the depth or firepower to just sit back and wait.

Edit: I’ve cooled off a bit after watching today’s game, but transfers and upgrading rosters is part of major college sports. Shoot it’s part of HS sports. If a kid 100% wants to stay, regardless of PT and get his degree and develop by all means stay. I root for everyone one of our players and if they are all back next year you will see me in the stands hoping they do great cheering for them, but that doesn’t mean I think all of them are best fit to be back next season for themselves or the team.
Last edited by PonyLawExpress on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby geezerdonk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Douglas - 19 minutes two turnovers three fouls one shot ZERO points ZERO rebounds ZERO assists. SMU would get more production from Wilfong.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby PonySnob » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:17 pm

geezerdonk wrote:Douglas - 19 minutes two turnovers three fouls one shot ZERO points ZERO rebounds ZERO assists. SMU would get more production from Wilfong.

If Jonathan was still on the team, no doubt he would be the 6th man coming off the bench. Was a little surprised that Janks didn't get Pyle or Wilfong any burn today.

https://youtu.be/mPranBMRf2I
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:24 pm

TidePony wrote:At this point, Douglass is a miss.

I agree that is quickly becoming the majority opinion on him.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Holy S-balls...is this really real????

Thank god for earthquakes and spotty internet.

REALLY????
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Killen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:10 pm

"Player XYZ is a miss"
"Run off a few guys, we need better players"

I've been reading sentiments like these over the past couple of weeks. Its definitely fair to critique player performance....BUT the idea of running off players that are otherwise meeting the obligations in the SA Handbook, not cool.***

As of 2015, the Student Athlete Handbook still says that performance on the court is not a factor in renewing aid (http://smumustangs.com/documents/2016/6/29//FinancialAidRulesEd.pdf?id=4432). Typically, coaches are still able to 'cut' guys w/o much static based on their behavior (class attendance, conduct issues,etc) or painting a picture of reduced playing time next season.

I think college coaches are paid enough money that we can reasonably expect them to "coach up" players that they "missed on" during the evaluation process. I'm a big fan of guaranteed 4 year schollies - as one of many benefits that are working their way into general practice.

***My freshman year was not particularly productive and Coach Tubbs (RIP) absolutely wanted my scholarship put to better use. Luckily, SMU Athletic policy prevented that....And after a few years, I was good enough to get dunked on by future MVP Derrick Rose

-Jon Killen
Point Guard Emeritus
Killen
Recruit

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 pm

Jon Killen! Man I loved watching you play and I totally agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball