PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Players leaving after the season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Players leaving after the season

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:29 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
MV pony wrote:6) TCU hires LB and his team wins the national championship in year 1.

LOL..... close...... UCONN.

Stranger things have happened. If UCONN were not currently under investigation, I could see this happening.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Shetland » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 am

Shake only has one choice, go pro. His injury is not the type that will scare scouts and he would have to average 25 a game to increase his draft stock. With our offense that would be impossible. Personally I'd like to see all the freshman stay. Our lack of depth is partially probation but we haven't had a freshman stay since Shakes/Foster class and those guys are Juniors. That is a bad look.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 am

College hoops is a bad look and SMU is soiled until long after we're all dead, so run w/the big dogs. Unload Landrum and Akoy and go to war on the trail. That's what this program has right now. We've never had one season, under either Jank or LB, that we were completely loaded. Where one of best players wasn't sitting out, injured etc. We may luck into Shake, but unfortunately for Jarrey, his injury helps the program. MIke is very real and Hunt is the type of athlete you take. Young as a walk on is brilliant. Add a few more pieces and clean the mid majors and walking wounded out
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:56 am

Since this thread focuses on next year - any home and homes that are currently outstanding when it comes to future schedule OOC?

With USC and Boise expiring, wonder what we have in the mix. Seems a lot of these great games for last few years (Michigan, Gonzaga, USC, Arky, etc) were all inked before we got REALLY good.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:51 pm

I would have thought they would have made public any big games at Moody next year to try to drum up some enthusiasm for the reseat. Maybe they have been, I don't get those emails.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smitty329 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:14 pm

skyscraper wrote:I ran into a person close to the basketball program while at dinner this evening. This person knows what's going on and I wouldn't post this without knowing they don't BS and don't engage in rumors.

1. Agau is done after the season.
2. One freshman will leave and there's a possibility a second one will as well. No names.
3. Jank knows next season is crucial for his long term stability at SMU.

We also chatted about Shake but there was nothing concrete enough I'd feel like posting on here.

----
We've all seen Agau struggling all season, so it's not exactly a surprise he's gonna hang it up. Thx for trying and best wishes.
No. 2 & 3 are reassuring to hear. Despite the protests of some on this board, it's clear only one frosh can be relied on for sure next season (Chargois). Let the guessing games begin on who might be out the door.
It appears Jank is going to be proactive to fix the deficiencies we have been seeing if all of this comes to pass. I guess we all need to be keeping an eye on the transfer market because it appears we will be active searchers.

Not sure what close to the program refers to, but they don't seem to have any better information or insight than anyone who has been following the program this year or college basketball in general.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Shetland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am

hoopmanx wrote:College hoops is a bad look and SMU is soiled until long after we're all dead, so run w/the big dogs. Unload Landrum and Akoy and go to war on the trail. That's what this program has right now. We've never had one season, under either Jank or LB, that we were completely loaded. Where one of best players wasn't sitting out, injured etc. We may luck into Shake, but unfortunately for Jarrey, his injury helps the program. MIke is very real and Hunt is the type of athlete you take. Young as a walk on is brilliant. Add a few more pieces and clean the mid majors and walking wounded out

Young is a walkon?
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 am

How many scholarship players are possible on next year's roster?

I hope Douglas stays. He reminds me of Keith Frazier. According to stats, Frazier was 6'5" 190 and Douglas is 6'5" 180.

I get the feeling Shake isn't coming back but hope he does. He's #24 in this mock draft.
http://www.mynbadraft.com/2018-draft/mock-draft
Well, Shake is 6'5" 195 so he's closer to Keith's size if you trust website figures.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 pm

11 scholarships in 18-19, back to 13 in 19-20.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby RI Stang » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Lots of possibilities, but as a guess let's just say that Shake, Akoy and Landrum don't return. You then have:

Foster
Whitt
McMurray
Douglas
Mike
Chagrois
Ray
Hunt

That leaves 3 ships to fill between grad transfers, juco transfers, regular transfers and freshmen. I'm going to guess two jucos and either a grad transfer or regular transfer. Seems we are in on more jucos at this stage than I can remember in quite some time. If we hit on two of those, we will be in decent shape. I still dream of holding a spot for Bolden and grabbing him to pair with the 2019 class led by Maxey and Harris, but having some doubts that first off he'll actually leave Duke, and if he does that we'll be able to get him over the toads. And while having to use a ship on a guy sitting out yet again would be painful, if he's a major impact kid, I'm all for it as to me all eyes should be on 2019 if we truly believe we can land Maxey and friends...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

Hasn’t Landrum started every game in Shake’s absence? I think Ray may leave but think Landrum probably stays.
mustangxc

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

mustangxc wrote:Hasn’t Landrum started every game in Shake’s absence? I think Ray may leave but think Landrum probably stays.

If a player is going to leave its probably going to be Ray. I personally always felt that even at this level Ray was going to have to turn himself into a 3/4 and I wasn’t sure if he was going to be quick enough to do it. If akoy leaves I think we need to get another rim protecting rebounding big to ack up chagois.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby sadderbudweiser » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Hasn’t Landrum started every game in Shake’s absence? I think Ray may leave but think Landrum probably stays.

If a player is going to leave its probably going to be Ray. I personally always felt that even at this level Ray was going to have to turn himself into a 3/4 and I wasn’t sure if he was going to be quick enough to do it. If akoy leaves I think we need to get another rim protecting rebounding big to ack up chagois.

This definitely. Ethan hasn't shown much lately. I think with a full off season in the program he'll be ok though. He still lacks stamina, has zero inside moves and could get off the ground a bit quicker. I Mike will be a huge improvement but we could really use 1-2 more bigs. Young is a season or two away. Where is another Jordan Tolbert?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:54 am

I don't see Ray leaving if Akoy hangs 'em up - he would have a major opportunity to contribute if he can perform. Obviously if the staff encourages him to leave that's different, but don't see that either unless they have at least two Juco/Grad transfer bigs lined up. I still prefer a combo guard to be our main focus there though. And if that were to happen, Landrum's PT would be tough to find.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Junior » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 pm

I like Landrum. I hope he stays.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball