PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Players leaving after the season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Players leaving after the season

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:05 pm

RI Stang wrote:I don't see Ray leaving if Akoy hangs 'em up - he would have a major opportunity to contribute if he can perform. Obviously if the staff encourages him to leave that's different, but don't see that either unless they have at least two Juco/Grad transfer bigs lined up. I still prefer a combo guard to be our main focus there though. And if that were to happen, Landrum's PT would be tough to find.

If Ray decides to put in the work he could see 10-15 minutes a game next season, backing up Chargois.

I have a few thoughts on Ray situation: 1) He has to put in the work to get on the Court, which he didn't do this season from all reports; 2) Jank will really probably only play 3 big men so if we add a good JuCo or Grad-Transfer, I doubt Jank goes much deeper than Chargois, Mike and GT/JuCo Big in the rotation. Jank just doesn't play a super deep rotation anywhere he has been barring foul trouble, so Ray might see in his mind he might get relegated to 5-6 minutes a game or Jarrey or Hunt sliding to the 4 in foul trouble; 3) long term Everett might see himself getting recruited over and the fact he is the same age as Chargois and Mike he might just want to go somewhere he could maybe start one day. Tough to know Ray's mindset, but even if the staff 100% wants him back for depth he might want to move on for his own reasons..

I like Landrum as a person and he has grown on me the past few games (still needs MUCH more consistency shooting), but my thought is would I rather have Wendell Mitchell or Landrum... :?:
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Terry Webster » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:17 pm

I wonder if the players read this and get direction for their future from our pontificating.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I wonder if the players read this and get direction for their future from our pontificating.

Doesn’t everyone?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Shetland » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:59 pm

I wouldn't listen to a darn thing we say. :lol:
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Terry Webster wrote:I wonder if the players read this and get direction for their future from our pontificating.

If they bother to read the garbage that gets posted on here and it actually upsets them, they always have the option of sitting down with their coach and clarifying where they stand and what they might need to work on to improve their position
Charleston Pony

Postby MFFL02 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

skyscraper wrote:I ran into a person close to the basketball program while at dinner this evening. This person knows what's going on and I wouldn't post this without knowing they don't BS and don't engage in rumors.

1. Agau is done after the season.
2. One freshman will leave and there's a possibility a second one will as well. No names.
3. Jank knows next season is crucial for his long term stability at SMU.

We also chatted about Shake but there was nothing concrete enough I'd feel like posting on here.

----
We've all seen Agau struggling all season, so it's not exactly a surprise he's gonna hang it up. Thx for trying and best wishes.
No. 2 & 3 are reassuring to hear. Despite the protests of some on this board, it's clear only one frosh can be relied on for sure next season (Chargois). Let the guessing games begin on who might be out the door.
It appears Jank is going to be proactive to fix the deficiencies we have been seeing if all of this comes to pass. I guess we all need to be keeping an eye on the transfer market because it appears we will be active searchers.

Why do you assume Agau won't play for us next year? He's improved a lot as the season has progressed.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby MFFL02 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:04 pm

tristatecoog wrote:How many scholarship players are possible on next year's roster?

I hope Douglas stays. He reminds me of Keith Frazier. According to stats, Frazier was 6'5" 190 and Douglas is 6'5" 180.

I get the feeling Shake isn't coming back but hope he does. He's #24 in this mock draft.
http://www.mynbadraft.com/2018-draft/mock-draft
Well, Shake is 6'5" 195 so he's closer to Keith's size if you trust website figures.

I feel like Shake is definitely going pro after this season.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:21 pm

On the radio they said senior day is Thursday and Gu and Agau will be recognized. So I think Agau definitely isn't coming back.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I really have mixed feelings about Akoy. There is some value there if he can get healthy. Most likely he sees and knows he really can’t. I really feel for guys in their 40’s and 50’s living in pain from the glory days. He’ll be one.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Akoy is giving us great effort. I wasn’t opposed to him being back next year, but his body is hurting. It sounds like it’s his choice. Can’t blame him. Not like he is going to play pro ball so why have the body of a 50 year old at 27 with all the injured he has had.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball