PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Players leaving after the season

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Players leaving after the season

Postby skyscraper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 pm

I ran into a person close to the basketball program while at dinner this evening. This person knows what's going on and I wouldn't post this without knowing they don't BS and don't engage in rumors.

1. Agau is done after the season.
2. One freshman will leave and there's a possibility a second one will as well. No names.
3. Jank knows next season is crucial for his long term stability at SMU.

We also chatted about Shake but there was nothing concrete enough I'd feel like posting on here.

----
We've all seen Agau struggling all season, so it's not exactly a surprise he's gonna hang it up. Thx for trying and best wishes.
No. 2 & 3 are reassuring to hear. Despite the protests of some on this board, it's clear only one frosh can be relied on for sure next season (Chargois). Let the guessing games begin on who might be out the door.
It appears Jank is going to be proactive to fix the deficiencies we have been seeing if all of this comes to pass. I guess we all need to be keeping an eye on the transfer market because it appears we will be active searchers.
Last edited by skyscraper on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Players leaving after the season

Postby mustangxc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 pm

If Agau doesn't come back I don't think we run off any freshmen. Who can we land at this point that would be eligible to contribute next season? If Shake comes back we would have one open scholarship. If he doesn't we would have two open scholarships. We need a juco and/or graduate transfer. If we run off a freshman or two then we can take transfers.

Shake
Foster
McMurray

Whitt

Mike
Chargois
Douglas
Landrum
Ray

Hunt
mustangxc

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

“Run off” is a lousy choice of words. How about if one or two simply choose not to come back?

Roster turnover (everywhere... not just at SMU) is a reality in his day and age. So lets go get some re-inforcements. Hopefully they will be guys “run off” like Semi.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 am

I don't think we will run anyone off. If they leave, it is for other reasons. Remember if Agau is done, Jarrey won't be ready at the start of the season. So we will be short numbers again.

Also, Jank has spoke in glowing terms about Agau and how hard he has tried to come back. It would be a shame to see him walk away from the game. But it is a further indication that when Jank speaks of only 3 healthy players, Agau is playing hurt still. And gutting it out for the best interest of the team.
JasonB

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:06 am

JasonB wrote:I don't think we will run anyone off. If they leave, it is for other reasons. Remember if Agau is done, Jarrey won't be ready at the start of the season. So we will be short numbers again.

Also, Jank has spoke in glowing terms about Agau and how hard he has tried to come back. It would be a shame to see him walk away from the game. But it is a further indication that when Jank speaks of only 3 healthy players, Agau is playing hurt still. And gutting it out for the best interest of the team.

Jarrey will be ready for the season opener if he doesn’t have any setbacks. Will he be ready to play 35mins and be 100% probably not, but I tore my ACL my junior year of HS and I was back in 8ish months. The doctors told me and I’ve always heard 7-9 months. Some guys are crazy and look like new 8-9 months later and others a year and some change later are still getting back to 100%. I wouldn’t bet against Jarrey and his work ethic though.

Thanks for sharing Skyscraper.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 am

Jarrey has rehabbed a knee before but I don't think we can count on him being back as the player he was before this injury, so if Shake goes, we have McMurray, Whitt, Mike and hopefully Chargois as players we can count on for production next year. That's pretty thin so I hope the staff is able to bring in at least 2 impact guys. If one or two frosh are discouraged and don't see a lot of playing time in their futures and are thinking about transferring, that does not surprise me given what we've seen from them this season.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy101 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am

I bet you Ray leaves because I don't think he sees himself competing for minutes next year or after, and I bet Douglas is on the fence because if we get a grad transfer guard or a good 2018 guard Douglas most likely won't play very much. Body language tells me that Landrum seems to be enjoying it considering he's started every game since shake has been out, and has been knocking down shots here and there. Chagois has started every game he's been eligible for so I don't think theres any reason not to like it. but I agree the 2019 recruiting class and next season go a long way in knowing if Jank is "the guy" for the future
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby PonyTime » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

Could Ray qualify to play somewhere mid-season next year?

I forget when the last game was that he participated in.

Assuming that Agou will Graduate from Masters in Management at Cox in May (unless there are any issues).

At least he is leaving with a great Grad degree for his future.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:22 am

No you got to be enrolled at the next school to start the 1 year residency requirement-not applicable to grad transfers
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 am

To be honest, even though he worked hard and certainly stepped up, I don't think Foster was as good athletically this year as he was last year. I think his knee was bothering him the whole year and then it finally tore. Something was off about how he would flex it after certain plays.

If we attempt to run any players off, it has to mean we have GTs and JUCOs lined up to come in and play immediately. And it must mean both Foster and Shake are back. A short bench won't be an excuse for Jank next year.
JasonB

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 pm

Things are going SO POORLY right now all I can think about is worst case scenarios.
So here it goes:
1) Shake is done for the season... no big deal. But he also then decides to grad transfer to OU or maybe Alabama next year.
2) Jarrey also decides to sit out a year while re-habbing and ends up at Houston.
3) Whitt concusses himself with his own elbow while shooting a free throw.
4) Agau gets his masters and a cast spot on SNL.
5) Landrum and Douglas become our starting guards and we battle it out with ECU for last place.

Someone please wake me from this horrible nightmare.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby MV pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 pm

6) TCU hires LB and his team wins the national championship in year 1.
MV pony
All-American

Postby sadderbudweiser » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm

MV pony wrote:6) TCU hires LB and his team wins the national championship in year 1.

LOL..... close...... UCONN.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks for posting this skyscraper, seems reasonable to me and reassuring as Jank is easily one of my favorite SMU HCs over the past 30 years. I really want him succeed here.

Run off, leave, move on to better opportunities, it’s all semantics.

Have to think 2 minimum won’t return and if the opportunity arises that is beneficial to SMU, 3 will be gone.
SoCal_Pony

Postby PonyLaw90 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Things are going SO POORLY right now all I can think about is worst case scenarios.
So here it goes:
1) Shake is done for the season... no big deal. But he also then decides to grad transfer to OU or maybe Alabama next year.
2) Jarrey also decides to sit out a year while re-habbing and ends up at Houston.
3) Whitt concusses himself with his own elbow while shooting a free throw.
4) Agau gets his masters and a cast spot on SNL.
5) Landrum and Douglas become our starting guards and we battle it out with ECU for last place.

Someone please wake me from this horrible nightmare.

This is silly. Everyone knows Douglas won't be a starting guard. The other things, might come true.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Next

Return to Basketball