PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Post ECU thoughts

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Post ECU thoughts

Postby ponyboy101 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

Good win against a bad team, surprised we put them away early and handled business that easily away from moody. Jahmal looked solid but I wonder if he will thrive next year like he has been the last few games when there are other elite players on the floor like Isaiah mike and Jarrey foster. Landrum is starting to grow on me, 11 points and started 3-3 from the 3 point line. Looks more confident and you can tell by his shot, I think he will be a solid 4 year player for us. I hope Whitt becomes more consistant this offseason. He either scores 16 points or 4 depending on the game. I’m just not seeing that much from Douglas. He seemed pretty emotionless on the bench whenever we would score, wouldn’t be surprised if he transferred. Chagois has been the polar opposite of what he was in the beginning, I know he’s got a bum ankle and he got sick there for awhile but I mean he can’t buy a bucket. What do you guys think?
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: Post ECU thoughts

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 pm

McMurray would probably average 25 a game if he played on last year’s team. If anything I worry about his defense but definitely not his offense when surrounded by great players. Douglas did all the little things and has been doing them for several games now. Landrum, Douglas, and Chargois should come back next year. Whitt is a distributor, we are having trouble because we are needing him to be more of a scorer thanks to the void left by Shake and Jarrey, but that’s not what he is. Going forward if he can step up his offense he would be all-conference.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The Falcon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 pm

Most players want to attack and speed up the game. They don't want to walk the ball slowly up the court, dribble around for 25 seconds, and then jack up a 3 ball. I know that is why Jank has
had them doing just that for most of the year - has only a few players and doesn't want to tire
them out.

The one thing that stood out in this game was that for the whole first half we were bringing
the ball down the floor quickly and then attacking early in the shot clock. It seemed to energize
the team. The second thing that stood out was the passing and sharing the ball. Several
possessions reminded me of the way we used to pass the ball, especially some of the interior
passing.

Also - this was a "Road Game" and they are hard to win even when we are playing a bad team - so
I think this was a great win for our confidence. We should beat USF and maybe we can steal
the Houston game. I didn't have much hope of that happening until tonight.
Am I being too optimistic?
The Falcon
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Thought everyone, but Chargois was real solid. Chaggy hit the boards though.

I was very impressed with Landrum and Douglas. 11-2-1 from Landrum and 3-5 from 3. 5pts, 7rebs, 3 steals from Douglas. Landrum is growing on me, but he has to show consistency on his 3 ball to be a legit threat (which he hasn't this year).

Chargois is just out of gas. Ever since he got sick and then hurt his ankle twice his game and body have hit a major wall. We saw his potential, so he will be fine if he puts in the work this offseason to get stronger and in better shape. Whitt is a good overall player. Gu was excellent tonight. Was a really good team win. Best our whole team has played in some time. I know it was against ECU, but I'll take it.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 pm

I guess it is just me but I see so much more potential from Douglas than I do from Landrum. It is just that Landrum has started to pull the trigger on shooting and Douglas is too hesitant. But I like every other part of Douglas’ game.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mustangxc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:59 pm

No, Douglas definitely has a higher ceiling than Landrum.
mustangxc

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:06 pm

McMurry Is at his best as a catch and shoot 3 point shooter. He will do better when there are better players setting screens and driving and dishing to him. He is not a great inside the arc shooter/finisher and he tends to over dribble sometimes. Think The staff will get more and more buy in from him on team ball as the level of team improves around him.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 pm

mrydel wrote:I guess it is just me but I see so much more potential from Douglas than I do from Landrum. It is just that Landrum has started to pull the trigger on shooting and Douglas is too hesitant. But I like every other part of Douglas’ game.

It’s not just you. Douglas gets a lot of hate because his offense is behind where we would all like it to be but from a pure athletic talent stand point I think he is the pick of the class and will be at least a really solid glue guy for the team. By all accounts he is a gym rat which strikes me as showing long term commitment to SMU and his game.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:45 am

Pony_Law wrote:
mrydel wrote:I guess it is just me but I see so much more potential from Douglas than I do from Landrum. It is just that Landrum has started to pull the trigger on shooting and Douglas is too hesitant. But I like every other part of Douglas’ game.

It’s not just you. Douglas gets a lot of hate because his offense is behind where we would all like it to be but from a pure athletic talent stand point I think he is the pick of the class and will be at least a really solid glue guy for the team. By all accounts he is a gym rat which strikes me as showing long term commitment to SMU and his game.

Agree - Douglas has to get more confident on attacking the basket, but I love how he attacks the glass and his length on defense. Needs to get strong and more confident, but there is no question his upside is WAY higher than Landrum. I get that Landrum is starting right now, but I still think he is far and away the most likely not to finish his time here. Douglas will most definitely not be asked to leave or pushed out in any way - still think he will be a major contributor for us in the future.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby smitty329 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 am

Anyone know why Shake gets a seat with the coaches but Foster sits behind the bench with Ray? Is he the team captain? Is Shake coaching the players (he seems to get the stat sheets). I would think Jarrey would be working closely with/coaching Douglas as they are similar in size/role.
smitty329
All-American

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am

smitty329 wrote:Anyone know why Shake gets a seat with the coaches but Foster sits behind the bench with Ray? Is he the team captain? Is Shake coaching the players (he seems to get the stat sheets). I would think Jarrey would be working closely with/coaching Douglas as they are similar in size/role.

Think it has more to do with their injuries and the practicality of the limited space. The boot and Jerry's knee brace are bulky.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby okcponyfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 am

smitty329 wrote:Anyone know why Shake gets a seat with the coaches but Foster sits behind the bench with Ray? Is he the team captain? Is Shake coaching the players (he seems to get the stat sheets). I would think Jarrey would be working closely with/coaching Douglas as they are similar in size/role.

yea my 2 theories.
Shake can get out of the way quicker than Foster or Ray could if someone came lunging for a ball.

Maybe it has to do with that Foster and Ray have been declared "out for the year" and b/c of that they can't sit on the bench and since shake is listed as day-to-day, he can?

just my 2 theories not sure if either is correct
okcponyfan
Varsity

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 am

Is Shake still in uniform under his sweats? We could still put Shake in if foul trouble cut us down to less than 5, even if he could not shoot. Jarrey and Ray are crippled and unable to play under any circumstance.
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 am

Come on guys shakes better-looking - dat's why he sits in the front row 8-)
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 am

I think Jarrey is cute and I love Ray’s man bun
mrydel

Next

Return to Basketball