PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL: vs Wichita State 2/24/18 thread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL: vs Wichita State 2/24/18 thread

Postby JasonB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Thanks for the at the game perspective Jason.
You are right about Douglas being more like a keith than Sterling right now. I’m just hoping he evolves. He has the body. He needs the mind. If he works in the gym as hard as they say he does I think he can get the confidence. As Hoop has stated so eloquently he basically played with and against slow white homeboys in high school. You can see that the game is still moving faster than he is. But I think he sees it too. That can change. He may never match Sterling’s intensity but few can. I’ll settle for sterling talent and Gu intensity. That should get her done.

I think the word he used was honky :).

I'm all for him developing. That would be great. What I am most for is a bench next season so that we can actually run two teams of 5 scholarship players at practice. That would be great.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:Thanks for the at the game perspective Jason.
You are right about Douglas being more like a keith than Sterling right now. I’m just hoping he evolves. He has the body. He needs the mind. If he works in the gym as hard as they say he does I think he can get the confidence. As Hoop has stated so eloquently he basically played with and against slow white homeboys in high school. You can see that the game is still moving faster than he is. But I think he sees it too. That can change. He may never match Sterling’s intensity but few can. I’ll settle for sterling talent and Gu intensity. That should get her done.

Sterling talent, Gu intensity sounds about right for Douglas. With his work ethic he should be a solid player by the time he is done here.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Most opposing fans all year? I didn't make the SC game. More than Cinci but maybe yellow clashes better.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 pm

edwa wrote:refs sucked [deleted]

Amen
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:05 am

#MemphisDoug will make a big jump frosh to soph. He's talented and when focused, mixes it up pretty good. Right now, its like he has to remind himself to go hard as opposed to thinking. When he does, he's around the ball. Like Sterling, pretty instinctive on the offensive glass. Kid barely played at all as a senior in high school, had one legit summer on circuit etc/ I've seen his one dribble pull up game, and its the best we've seen at SMU. Certain things just translate. In future, when he hits a few in a row, he'll one dribble a fool and bury it in their face. We've haven't seen him pull the trigger on that this year. Its 3 or one dribble pass.

Honestly, Landrum has played his way into a mid major home elsewhere, and I say that with love. He's playing hard, hits a few shots and is a competitor. That said no place on SMU basketball for someone 5'10 unless they are Nic Moore or McMurry. I'm a staunch believer in Larry's length at the guard philosophy. All PGs need to be prototypes.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RI Stang » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:22 am

hoopmanx wrote:#MemphisDoug will make a big jump frosh to soph. He's talented and when focused, mixes it up pretty good. Right now, its like he has to remind himself to go hard as opposed to thinking. When he does, he's around the ball. Like Sterling, pretty instinctive on the offensive glass. Kid barely played at all as a senior in high school, had one legit summer on circuit etc/ I've seen his one dribble pull up game, and its the best we've seen at SMU. Certain things just translate. In future, when he hits a few in a row, he'll one dribble a fool and bury it in their face. We've haven't seen him pull the trigger on that this year. Its 3 or one dribble pass.

Honestly, Landrum has played his way into a mid major home elsewhere, and I say that with love. He's playing hard, hits a few shots and is a competitor. That said no place on SMU basketball for someone 5'10 unless they are Nic Moore or McMurry. I'm a staunch believer in Larry's length at the guard philosophy. All PGs need to be prototypes.

Completely agree with this - having Landrum and McMurray on the floor together kills us. We're not going to outrebound a team like that regardless, but getting doubled up is painful and there is just no chance with two tiny guards, not to mention all of the easy jumpers and floaters they can get in the lane. Have to assume McMurray is going to get a ton of minutes, so where does that leave Landrum? Take his chances that we DON"T land someone like Maxey in 2019, or go elsewhere? I'll be surprised if he is back.

Thought the crowd picked the team up multiple times and would have been fantastic if we had stayed in it down the stretch. Saying Moody is gone, etc on a message board during the game? Ironic don't you think...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:14 pm

Douglas has raised his 3 point percentage to .303%. He's hitting above 80% at the FT line. He has perfect form and will eventually be a big time shooter. Contributes all over the Court-but with a short bench they got him banging inside with physical 6-8 and 6-9 forwards which is a mismatch and not his game. He does need to become a better ball-handler though.

Landrum is a dribbler but not very effective in distributing or creating much of anything-see his 1.0 Assists per game. Chargois is even averaging more playing inside. Even as a starter getting 30 minutes a game Landrum is averaging below 2 per game. That's not going to cut it.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLaw90 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:45 pm

hoopmanx wrote:#MemphisDoug will make a big jump frosh to soph. He's talented and when focused, mixes it up pretty good. Right now, its like he has to remind himself to go hard as opposed to thinking. When he does, he's around the ball. Like Sterling, pretty instinctive on the offensive glass. Kid barely played at all as a senior in high school, had one legit summer on circuit etc/ I've seen his one dribble pull up game, and its the best we've seen at SMU. Certain things just translate. In future, when he hits a few in a row, he'll one dribble a fool and bury it in their face. We've haven't seen him pull the trigger on that this year. Its 3 or one dribble pass.

I always appreciate your insight. Question: I saw a couple potential recruits at the game. Do recruits see a season like this and think I can go in a make a difference, or hmmm, maybe I should go elsewhere?
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby PonyLawExpress » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 am

Stallion wrote:Douglas has raised his 3 point percentage to .303%. He's hitting above 80% at the FT line. He has perfect form and will eventually be a big time shooter. Contributes all over the Court-but with a short bench they got him banging inside with physical 6-8 and 6-9 forwards which is a mismatch and not his game. He does need to become a better ball-handler though.

Landrum is a dribbler but not very effective in distributing or creating much of anything-see his 1.0 Assists per game. Chargois is even averaging more playing inside. Even as a starter getting 30 minutes a game Landrum is averaging below 2 per game. That's not going to cut it.

Seconded. I thought the same thing about Landrum. He is a great ball handler, but outside of a flashy pass here or there he really doesn't set other up like you would hope for a small PG. Add that to being 5'10 and shooting 25% from 3 on a high volume not a good formula.

@Ponylaw, I would assume most recruits take this year to being short handed and injures and that they could come in and play, but there probably are some who might be a little nervous about the result of this season.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball