PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL vs Houston thread 2/28/18

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL vs Houston thread 2/28/18

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:26 pm

I also agree with most of this but i’ll add that it is imperative we get a Big who is a rebound monster who can play inside like Markus in his prime, like Tolbert, like Shaq Morris.
Who knows, maybe that’s Chaggy next year but someone has to do it.

We need to get back to “picking you up at the airport” and for that reason alone 6” and under guys just should not be recruited often, if at all.

We need some “tough” back. You know the guys we’ve had... more please.

If we get our inside game together then the outside game follows.

Personnel:

Shake: I just have a feeling he’ll come back.
Jarrey: never bet against him!
IMike: he’s going to be huge... for three years!
Chaggy: stronger, faster, smarter and rested up
Whitt be Whitt: don’t ask for too much and he’ll give you more
McMurray: I agree... microwave off the bench
Doogie: time to realize your potential. 10/5 per game with a few blocks and steals as well.
Ray: ?
Hunt: some real thrills and some minutes but some learnin’ too
Young: redshirt, bulk, learn

Akoy and Eli: adios and thanks.

Let’s call it a season and go get the last pieces of the puzzle.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby edwa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

i dont know why you would want ray back if u want akoy to leave.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:44 pm

right now opponents are just spreading out and blanketing the 3 point line because we don't have any presence down low. Yeah last year's team could not have done what they accomplished without B. Moore and Semi being a factor inside. Looks like a role for a JUCO/graduate transfer big man
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby EastStang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:28 pm

Welcome to a mid-major program that's not on the FBI list. We are not going to land one and dones. So, you have to plan for every two to four years of building up a team. There will be some growing years stuck in there. With Shake and Jarray, we had a good (not great team). Without them, we have young potentially good team. We have some holes that we need to fill because we're not Kentucky or Duke. But I like several things. I like the fact that these guys don't quit. I like the fact that young players are getting some meaningful action this year when we can afford for them to make mistakes. I'd love to see a solid big man, but they are hard to find and finding some that fit in is even harder (remember Froling). So, we may be a team with undersized players up front. I think if Chagois hits the weight room, he can be another Ben Moore. We have a good coach and he knows what the needs are.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby skyscraper » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 pm

I think the most disheartening thing is that the young players got a ton of minutes the past month, but they seemed to show miniscule development out of all of it.
Douglas was still gun shy last night, Landrum was still all over the place.
Chargois hit a wall two months ago with illness, so it is what it is, but he remains the only realistic hope to be a reliable contributor moving forward.
skyscraper

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:41 pm

EastStang wrote:Welcome to a mid-major program that's not on the FBI list. We are not going to land one and dones. So, you have to plan for every two to four years of building up a team. There will be some growing years stuck in there. With Shake and Jarray, we had a good (not great team). Without them, we have young potentially good team. We have some holes that we need to fill because we're not Kentucky or Duke. But I like several things. I like the fact that these guys don't quit. I like the fact that young players are getting some meaningful action this year when we can afford for them to make mistakes. I'd love to see a solid big man, but they are hard to find and finding some that fit in is even harder (remember Froling). So, we may be a team with undersized players up front. I think if Chagois hits the weight room, he can be another Ben Moore. We have a good coach and he knows what the needs are.

I think Chagois will be a good player But he is never going to be as quick as BM was.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyLawExpress » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Pony_Law wrote:
EastStang wrote:Welcome to a mid-major program that's not on the FBI list. We are not going to land one and dones. So, you have to plan for every two to four years of building up a team. There will be some growing years stuck in there. With Shake and Jarray, we had a good (not great team). Without them, we have young potentially good team. We have some holes that we need to fill because we're not Kentucky or Duke. But I like several things. I like the fact that these guys don't quit. I like the fact that young players are getting some meaningful action this year when we can afford for them to make mistakes. I'd love to see a solid big man, but they are hard to find and finding some that fit in is even harder (remember Froling). So, we may be a team with undersized players up front. I think if Chagois hits the weight room, he can be another Ben Moore. We have a good coach and he knows what the needs are.

I think Chagois will be a good player But he is never going to be as quick as BM was.

True he won't ever be like BM, but he can develop into more of a post presence than Ben with his frame and is WAY more skilled than BM. They really shouldn't be compared, since they are two totally different styles.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 pm

skyscraper wrote:I think the most disheartening thing is that the young players got a ton of minutes the past month, but they seemed to show miniscule development out of all of it.
Douglas was still gun shy last night, Landrum was still all over the place.
Chargois hit a wall two months ago with illness, so it is what it is, but he remains the only realistic hope to be a reliable contributor moving forward.

Well, practices were minimal for a while, per Jank, and everyone is getting run ragged on game days with the short bench, so that's kind of to be expected. It's still possible that the increased playing time will help in the longer-term though.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby horsemanx » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:25 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Looking around at a bunch of empty seats, Moody is starting to feel sad.

That was a real shame because everybody who left for halftime missed what has to be in contention for the biggest promotions fail in SMU history with the baby crawl race.

What a great way to close out Moody. Seriously, a baby race at the half of an 8pm weeknight game? Wow. And if somebody paid to sponsor it I feel sorry for them.

Bring back Red Panda!
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Stallion » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

someone stole Red Panda's bike-man

she's finished
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:10 am

She performed at a game a few nights ago. She either got it back or adapted to a new one.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby MV pony » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am

It was returned to her. Nice thief.
MV pony
All-American

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:38 pm

mrydel wrote:She performed at a game a few nights ago. She either got it back or adapted to a new one.

I saw her a few nights after the theft at a Mavs game - it was stated she was on a back up uni. She dropped a decent amount of bowls, atypically so, due to the unfamiliarity of her rig.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm

I read where golden state bought her a new one
RGV Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball