PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dealing with the reseat

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

What are you plans for the Moody re-seat?

Done attending games in the future
6%
No longer getting season tickets - buying "choice" games on secondary market
51%
Donating same amount of money and just see what happens
41%
Increasing donations in hopes of improving seats
2%

Total votes : 51

Re: Dealing with the reseat

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Blunt Pony wrote:P I literally cringed sitting through one of the re-seat discussions listening to people who have had tickets for 20 plus years saying they were done and why could they not just keep their seats at today's prices? SMU has such a small core group of fans and this re-seat is directly attacking that group. I think that if SMU had gone to their existing season ticket holders and INVOLVED them in the process of building the program (asking for increased donations, seeing if they want to move seats, letting them know the goals of the basketball program etc.) they would have had plenty of buy in!

BP- good ideas. But if you think about it your ideas might have involved something similar to 'marketing' and as we all know this AD does not believe in marketing.
As somebody else said- this is SMU- we do what we do. And as I have stated previously the school does its best to run off those who support it and then wonder why nobody cares to donate to it.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Julian Grendel » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:32 pm

redpony wrote:
Blunt Pony wrote:P I literally cringed sitting through one of the re-seat discussions listening to people who have had tickets for 20 plus years saying they were done and why could they not just keep their seats at today's prices? SMU has such a small core group of fans and this re-seat is directly attacking that group. I think that if SMU had gone to their existing season ticket holders and INVOLVED them in the process of building the program (asking for increased donations, seeing if they want to move seats, letting them know the goals of the basketball program etc.) they would have had plenty of buy in!

BP- good ideas. But if you think about it your ideas might have involved something similar to 'marketing' and as we all know this AD does not believe in marketing.
As somebody else said- this is SMU- we do what we do. And as I have stated previously the school does its best to run off those who support it and then wonder why nobody cares to donate to it.

weird because I swear we hired a guy from LSU who is otherwise under the impression that he's in charge of, well, marketing
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby Shetland » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I am reupping. While my seats will change I think they will be relatively the same. People on the floor, red seats and first 6 rows are different story.

Personally I think we are better off with less season ticket holders. Right now there is no way for casual fan to get a seat with so many people holding 6 season tickets. Games listed as a sell out are barley half full.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby RI Stang » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 am

Shetland wrote:I am reupping. While my seats will change I think they will be relatively the same. People on the floor, red seats and first 6 rows are different story.

Personally I think we are better off with less season ticket holders. Right now there is no way for casual fan to get a seat with so many people holding 6 season tickets. Games listed as a sell out are barley half full.

I agree - never has something that will have such little impact on the majority created so much moaning and whining. Looking forward to getting back to the moaning and whining about the music and lack of juice boxes next season :wink:
RI Stang
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 am

RI Stang wrote:I agree - never has something that will have such little impact on the majority created so much moaning and whining.

I don't think it's the people not impacted that are whining...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby redpony » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Julian Grendel wrote:

weird because I swear we hired a guy from LSU who is otherwise under the impression that he's in charge of, well, marketing[/quote]

Julian -Guess I missed all of the marketing that took place this bball season. Could you please identify the specific programs that I missed? I would also be interested in the plans for the fall marketing campaign for fball if you are aware of any.
redpony

Postby Julian Grendel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

redpony wrote:
Julian Grendel wrote:

weird because I swear we hired a guy from LSU who is otherwise under the impression that he's in charge of, well, marketing

Julian -Guess I missed all of the marketing that took place this bball season. Could you please identify the specific programs that I missed? I would also be interested in the plans for the fall marketing campaign for fball if you are aware of any.[/quote]

no idea about this fall but last fall I know they ran with the ads on The Ticket and the statewide billboard campaign.

for basketball it looks like you quoted the following things posted by Blunt Pony that "sound like marketing":
-go to existing season ticket holders and INVOLVE them in the process
-asking for increased donations
-letting them know the goals of the basketball program

speaking only to those three things, I think Dutch and RGV said that they did engage in one on one meetings both before and after the fact; the increased donations pitch I don't think ever stops; and the preseason chalktalk with Jank was pretty informative for hearing the goals of the program. Same with the Monday radio show.

If there's other things lacking, or things that I havent mentioned, or that should be implemented, the marketing person's name is Daniel Nunes. DNunes@mail.smu.edu..might be worthwhile to hit up.
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 pm

SMU Section F wrote:
RI Stang wrote:I agree - never has something that will have such little impact on the majority created so much moaning and whining.

Majority of what I've read on here is that we aren't any good, therefore shouldn't have a reseat, and therefore a huge chunk of our season ticket holders are going to give up their seats and go the StubHub route. If that is correct, then it doesn't sound to me like keeping seats will be much of a problem.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby Julian Grendel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:26 pm

RI Stang wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

If that is correct, then it doesn't sound to me like keeping seats will be much of a problem.

self serving perhaps, but I'm kinda banking on that
Julian Grendel
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:39 pm

If you use Tapatalk you don't know there's a poll here...

One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Section F » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm

RI Stang wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:

Majority of what I've read on here is that we aren't any good, therefore shouldn't have a reseat, and therefore a huge chunk of our season ticket holders are going to give up their seats and go the StubHub route. If that is correct, then it doesn't sound to me like keeping seats will be much of a problem.

I don't know anyone that is giving up their seats due to the quality of the team or the price of tickets... it's almost exclusively due to SMU expecting significant financial commitment without providing a sufficient commitment in return.

Though you guys are probably right that due to those people (like me) giving up their tickets, it will be easier on those that "roll the dice" by just giving the minimum.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am

I blocked SMU's number last night after about the 300th call in a month
Pony ^

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am

Pony ^ wrote:I blocked SMU's number last night after about the 300th call in a month

Lol
One Trick Pony

Postby ender3 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 am

Pony ^ wrote:I blocked SMU's number last night after about the 300th call in a month

I have to admit, the sheer number of calls has been overwhelming. While I have not blocked it (yet), I certainly don't pick up when I see (214) 768-XXXX.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Previous

Return to Basketball