PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Remember when....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Remember when....

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

The people in SMU's Athletic Department and Mustang Club have made some great decisions and some terrible ones; both recently and historically. I think it's kind of stupid to pretend it's only one or the other.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyKai » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

There are, and always have been extremely legitimate critiques to level at SMU's administration. Same as any other entity. They can be slow. They've been caught flat-footed before. For years, we were cheap and made poor coaching selections. The less said about Tubbs actually being given this job, the better. Ditto for the 850$ dollars Phil Bennett had to hire a staff. Sometimes they do things for reasons they "like" and not the reasons we "like." Sometimes communication is poor. Sometimes it looks like all they care about is money. They probably aren't forward thinking enough or true visionaries. And, yes, having the same guy run any kind of enterprise for more than two decades invites a whole host of issues. But, please, let's keep things in the realm of reality.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:40 am

SMU Section F wrote:The people in SMU's Athletic Department and Mustang Club have made some great decisions and some terrible ones; both recently and historically. I think it's kind of stupid to pretend it's only one or the other.

Wow, it's almost as if they are like every other athletic department in the country then. If only we let Pony Fans run things.

Maybe we could come up with a sliding scale for ticket prices and donation levels based on who has suffered the most as an SMU fan.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:43 am

PerunasHoof wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:The people in SMU's Athletic Department and Mustang Club have made some great decisions and some terrible ones; both recently and historically. I think it's kind of stupid to pretend it's only one or the other.

Wow, it's almost as if they are like every other athletic department in the country then.

Yeah... that was kind of my point...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PerunasHoof » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:46 am

SMU Section F wrote:
PerunasHoof wrote:

Wow, it's almost as if they are like every other athletic department in the country then.

Yeah... that was kind of my point...

We're on the same page. My comment was directed towards the posters who think Turner was on the grassy knoll.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:50 am

Ding ding ding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Terry Webster » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm

I may be in the minority but I am not overly worried. I am disappointed in this year, but the scholarship restrictions had to catch up to us at some point. We were really lucky last year that we didn't have any injuries. Look forward to seeing what next year holds. If by chance Shake comes back (please please please) we should be a favorite with the graduations from other schools. I look forward to seeing in a couple of years what kind of team Jank puts together with 13 schollies.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:46 pm

What is there to worry ABOUT? We had a small run of bad luck this season. It happens. We need to be thanking God above that we have what we have.

And thank you PonyKai for the good sense. You're like Hoopmanx, who I think the world of, but without an axe to grind.
ponyboy

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:25 pm

ponyboy wrote:What is there to worry ABOUT? We had a small run of bad luck this season. It happens. We need to be thanking God above that we have what we have.

And thank you PonyKai for the good sense. You're like Hoopmanx, who I think the world of, but without an axe to grind.

Great post. How easy it is to forget what it was like just a few short years ago. Was thinking about that the other day as we get ready for the AAC tourney. The last few years have been incredible - this year will be more like the Doh era where just winning a conference tourney game is quite the accomplishment and when I would watch these other teams make tourney runs with lots of jealousy. I'm so grateful for these last few years and optimistic of our chances going forward. Like what I'm hearing about the recruiting trail and have confidence the staff will land some of them.

That said, it would be fun to get Shake back for next week and see what we could do, especially if we were to end up on the opposite side of the bracket from Cincy.
RI Stang
All-American

Remember when....

Postby PonySnob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Senior night two years ago

Senior night last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Previous

Return to Basketball