PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Remember when....

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Remember when....

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 am

....it was next to impossible for an opponent to come into Moody and leave with a win?

.....the opposition would get heckled relentlessly by the MOB? Applewhite was sitting right next to the student section last night and I’m not sure if anyone noticed. Lobster and Mario would not be proud.

.....in early March we would be worrying about our NCAA tournament seed?

....,we had very high hopes for the current freshman class?

.....playing UConn, Memphis and SMU in hoops was must see? Now it is an RPI killer for the opponent. Okay maybe that is an exaggeration but it ain’t good.

I just want this nightmare of a season to end. All I’ve got to say is Jank better land one or both of the rumored 2018 late additions.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Remember when....

Postby AustinPerson » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 pm

Remember when we had a great recruiting class that consisted of Jalen Jones, Cannen Cunningham, and that other guy who could jump really high?

I'd love to have another recruiting class like that again. Bring back Coach Doh?
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm

BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:21 pm

That's why I bought the team game worn uniforms and the LB autographed SMU basketball. So I could remember the good old days.
MV pony
All-American

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:23 pm

MV pony wrote:That's why I bought the team game worn uniforms and the LB autographed SMU basketball. So I could remember the good old days.

Can't remember who it was, but someone on here pointed out a year or two ago, that these were "the good old days". :(
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

blackoutpony wrote:
MV pony wrote:That's why I bought the team game worn uniforms and the LB autographed SMU basketball. So I could remember the good old days.

Can't remember who it was, but someone on here pointed out a year or two ago, that these were "the good old days". :(
That also would be me
RGV Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:31 pm

On the atmosphere I don't think people are being realistic. You will never replicate the level of excitement from going from a nothing program to a top basketball program basically overnight combined with an amazing renovation. That was enough for a brief moment to get greater Dallas into checking out SMU basketball. It was a singular moment and it has passed. That is especially true given the fair weather nature of the Dallas sports fan base (outside of cowboys fans). it's also true that the in game programming in the past was built to hype crowd noise (which a influential segment of blue hairs complained about). Now the in game programming is clearly all about sponsor promotions, we don't even have a PA announcer hyping scoring by our team). I think we are seeing the more natural level for crowds/excitement, ok for regular games decently hyped for bigger games, subject to downward pressure when the team is below average.

As for the students, the university for whatever reason was embarrassed by the student behavior that first season and they took active steps to diminish it. I used to sit in the 4th row behind the visitor's coach (and opposing team players families) right next to the student section. After the first year in new moody they added a security guard and told them and the ushers to be aggressive in trying to stop the students from hard heckling of opposing players/coaches/and family. That plus the changes in the mob killed it and I don't think it's coming back given SMU student's attitudes towards fandom.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Pony_Law wrote:On the atmosphere I don't think people are being realistic. You will never replicate the level of excitement from going from a nothing program to a top basketball program basically overnight combined with an amazing renovation. That was enough for a brief moment to get greater Dallas into checking out SMU basketball. It was a singular moment and it has passed. That is especially true given the fair weather nature of the Dallas sports fan base (outside of cowboys fans). it's also true that the in game programming in the past was built to hype crowd noise (which a influential segment of blue hairs complained about). Now the in game programming is clearly all about sponsor promotions, we don't even have a PA announcer hyping scoring by our team). I think we are seeing the more natural level for crowds/excitement, ok for regular games decently hyped for bigger games, subject to downward pressure when the team is below average.

As for the students, the university for whatever reason was embarrassed by the student behavior that first season and they took active steps to diminish it. I used to sit in the 4th row behind the visitor's coach (and opposing team players families) right next to the student section. After the first year in new moody they added a security guard and told them and the ushers to be aggressive in trying to stop the students from hard heckling of opposing players/coaches/and family. That plus the changes in the mob killed it and I don't think it's coming back given SMU student's attitudes towards fandom.

On Houston's first possession last night, I counted a total of 5 MOBsters actually yelling. Everyone else had their arms crossed. The MOB is dead and has been since 2014
Pony ^

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Pony ^ wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:On the atmosphere I don't think people are being realistic. You will never replicate the level of excitement from going from a nothing program to a top basketball program basically overnight combined with an amazing renovation. That was enough for a brief moment to get greater Dallas into checking out SMU basketball. It was a singular moment and it has passed. That is especially true given the fair weather nature of the Dallas sports fan base (outside of cowboys fans). it's also true that the in game programming in the past was built to hype crowd noise (which a influential segment of blue hairs complained about). Now the in game programming is clearly all about sponsor promotions, we don't even have a PA announcer hyping scoring by our team). I think we are seeing the more natural level for crowds/excitement, ok for regular games decently hyped for bigger games, subject to downward pressure when the team is below average.

On Houston's first possession last night, I counted a total of 5 MOBsters actually yelling. Everyone else had their arms crossed. The MOB is dead and has been since 2014

If you're too busy counting, are you yelling?
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Spare me with that response. He's right. MOB is trash.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Spare me with that response. He's right. MOB is trash.

The sooner you guys realize it will never again be like 2013/2014, the happier* you will be.

*Although I'm not sure happiness exists on pony fans
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

I agree with that, but the whole "well be as loud as the students!" schtick is nonsense. Energy has to come from them to really get going.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby RI Stang » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:34 pm

PerunasHoof wrote:
ObeyMyDog wrote:Spare me with that response. He's right. MOB is trash.

The sooner you guys realize it will never again be like 2013/2014, the happier* you will be.

*Although I'm not sure happiness exists on pony fans

It doesn't, just look at the threads and activity right now - 24 page thread on the reseat, lots of Peruna's Law/feeling sorry for ourselves threads, the crowd sucks, the Mob sucks, etc.

Seems so many thrive on being miserable and complaining. Sad.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby edwa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm

I think its a little unfair to compare the current mob to anything seen in the last 2-4 years. we the students arn't dumb and know this is a battered team that is completely different from last years. The students build off the players and then the players build off of us. our best 2 players are out and our best 3 point shooter cant shoot 3s. This season is a lost cause, forget about it move on and stop complaining.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby PerunasHoof » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:I agree with that, but the whole "well be as loud as the students!" schtick is nonsense. Energy has to come from them to really get going.

Oh I agree, I was being sardonic in regards to his post.
PerunasHoof
All-American

Next

Return to Basketball