PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Memphis pursuing Penny as coach, LB as asst.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Memphis pursuing Penny as coach, LB as asst.

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 pm

mustangxc wrote:What we had this year is largely due to sanctions. Add a couple transfers to this team and we are still on the bubble.

Recruiting might have just a tad bit to do with it was well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm

When you think about this year's frosh class, none of them were really expected to be key contributors so Chargois' early production was a pleasant surprise. If they all stay, you hope the rest of that class is productive as JRs and Srs but are all likely to be recruited over for starters
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
mustangxc wrote:What we had this year is largely due to sanctions. Add a couple transfers to this team and we are still on the bubble.

Sanctions have kept us from adding potentially 2 additional upperclassmen to the roster so it all comes down to the sanctions. Every school misses with some recruits. Sanctions reduce the margin for error.
mustangxc

Postby ponyboy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Agreed. And we lost 40% of our starting lineup to injury, our two strongest players.

There really is no reason for the gloom and doom. Next year we will lack a dominant guy running the point, but Whitt is more than serviceable.
ponyboy

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:22 pm

deucetz wrote:
Nacho wrote:I love me some lb but he is a sanctions nightmare.

I would rather have LB with potential sanctions then what we had this year.

Me thinks Memphis will do a better job of ‘shielding’ LB than we did. Call it just a hunch.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 pm

ponyboy wrote:Agreed. And we lost 40% of our starting lineup to injury, our two strongest players.

There really is no reason for the gloom and doom. Next year we will lack a dominant guy running the point, but Whitt is more than serviceable.

Whitt is a role player and a good one at that. You put your team on his shoulders and I don’t see a tourney team, which must be our goal.
SoCal_Pony

Postby ojaipony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:36 pm

We were a bubble team at full strength. Losing Chargois to illness at Tulane cost us that game and then Jarrey going down made us an NIT team immediately (and yes I know we beat Wichita at Wichita). Losing both Jarrey and Shake (and BenE at half strength and Akoy a shadow of himself) make us about a .500 team.

The ONLY way this team could have been OFF the bubble (and a potential top 3 in the AAC) was if Akoy came in at 100% from day one and everyone else stayed healthy. I don't think Akoy ever even got to 50%. And even at 100% he was a serviceable (starting) big man.

Next year, to be anywhere near close to what we've come to expect, we need Shake plus Jarrey at 100% and Mike to be as advertised. Unless that happens, or we get a high 4 star to come over, we will be an NIT type team.

But the following year with Maxey possibly, I'm optimistic we can get back.

So much, for me, comes down to if Shake comes back and we can get a rock star transfer in (and Chargois and Douglas take a big step forward and Mike is the real deal). All that happens, and we are right back in it. If not, it will be an NIT type year.
ojaipony

Postby Terry Webster » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:37 pm

And Memphis gets hit with probation in 3,2,1...
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:34 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:

Sanctions have kept us from adding potentially 2 additional upperclassmen to the roster so it all comes down to the sanctions. Every school misses with some recruits. Sanctions reduce the margin for error.

SMU missed on an entire class last year that transferred and this year’s class was not stellar by any means. Also even if we has a couple of transfers does not mean they would have been any good as we have seen misses in that area too. The recruiting has hurt worse than the sanctions imo. But neither has helped. We will see how well we recruited once Shake leaves whenever that is.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Prideful Pony » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 pm

ojaipony wrote:We were a bubble team at full strength. Losing Chargois to illness at Tulane cost us that game and then Jarrey going down made us an NIT team immediately (and yes I know we beat Wichita at Wichita). Losing both Jarrey and Shake (and BenE at half strength and Akoy a shadow of himself) make us about a .500 team.

The ONLY way this team could have been OFF the bubble (and a potential top 3 in the AAC) was if Akoy came in at 100% from day one and everyone else stayed healthy. I don't think Akoy ever even got to 50%. And even at 100% he was a serviceable (starting) big man.

Next year, to be anywhere near close to what we've come to expect, we need Shake plus Jarrey at 100% and Mike to be as advertised. Unless that happens, or we get a high 4 star to come over, we will be an NIT type team.

But the following year with Maxey possibly, I'm optimistic we can get back.

So much, for me, comes down to if Shake comes back and we can get a rock star transfer in (and Chargois and Douglas take a big step forward and Mike is the real deal). All that happens, and we are right back in it. If not, it will be an NIT type year.

"Bubble team" may be a bit misleading. We were consistently projected as a tournament team until we lost Shake and Jarrey; not an amazing seed by any means, but we were better than last 4 in. We even stayed on the bubble for some (outside looking in) until we'd lost 3-4 bad ones without those two starters. I think our fanbase is underestimating the quality of our OOC wins this year compared to our last few seasons.

I don't know what that means for next year given all our changes, but I hate to see SMU fans minimize what we accomplished before Shake and Jarrey went down.
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:03 am

Prideful Pony wrote:"Bubble team" may be a bit misleading. We were consistently projected as a tournament team until we lost Shake and Jarrey; not an amazing seed by any means, but we were better than last 4 in. We even stayed on the bubble for some (outside looking in) until we'd lost 3-4 bad ones without those two starters. I think our fanbase is underestimating the quality of our OOC wins this year compared to our last few seasons.

I don't know what that means for next year given all our changes, but I hate to see SMU fans minimize what we accomplished before Shake and Jarrey went down.

Agreed. We had the makings of a pretty darn good team before losing 3 guys for the season. Even Ray may have contributed a few minutes in the post...especially after Chargois got sick and then hurt his ankle
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am

Good wins to start the season - I had us "at full strength" as a round of 16 team.
Things happen but we were pretty darn good.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 am

BUS wrote:Good wins to start the season - I had us "at full strength" as a round of 16 team.
Things happen but we were pretty darn good.

At the point when Jarrey went down I saw us as a team that would improve as the season progressed into at least first game NCAA winner.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby sadderbudweiser » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am

And..... I doubt the Penny thing happens this season. Tubby just got there and has a sizeable buyout. As for LB: He ain’t getting any younger but if you can hire him as a gym/practice coach, bech coach and program cheerleader you have something. Just keep him away from admin things.... and recruiting.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:10 am

There could be concerns that Tubby has lost his team after his comments about transfer rules
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball