PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: SMU vs Cincy gamethread

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: SMU vs Cincy gamethread

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 pm

UCincinnati wrote: Hard to get very siked for a team you blasted (at full strength) by 20

Don't expect you to follow our program any more than we follow yours, but SMU was nowhere near full strength in that 1st meeting. We basically had walking wounded low post players with Agau just playing his way back into condition after missing months of practice and Chargois playing in his 1st game after not even being able to travel because of the flu (probably should not even traveled as his illness reportedly affected others on the team). Cincy got an undermanned SMU team 3 times this season, but we will be back next year and look forward to developing this rivalry. Your team better be "psyched" if they come to Moody next year because we hope to have 11 eligible and healthy scholarship players for the 1st time in years!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:Not sure how that's relevant to my comment... but OK. I'm rooting for you guys to make a deep run. The AAC as a whole needs it.

EDIT: Just realized you were probably responding to Charleston Pony's comment.

Yes my mistake. Meant to quote that post. A noon game against a snoozer opponent can lead to some odd results. We seem to see it every year in the 1 vs 8/9 Noon games across the country. Happy we won. Hope we play much better tomorrow (even thought we could win with another lack luster effort).

I think you guys can probably get away with lackluster against anyone but Houston or Wichita State, but it is March...
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
UCincinnati wrote: Hard to get very siked for a team you blasted (at full strength) by 20

Don't expect you to follow our program any more than we follow yours, but SMU was nowhere near full strength in that 1st meeting. We basically had walking wounded low post players with Agau just playing his way back into condition after missing months of practice and Chargois playing in his 1st game after not even being able to travel because of the flu (probably should not even traveled as his illness reportedly affected others on the team). Cincy got an undermanned SMU team 3 times this season, but we will be back next year and look forward to developing this rivalry. Your team better be "psyched" if they come to Moody next year because we hope to have 11 eligible and healthy scholarship players for the 1st time in years!

I don't think we'll be at "full strength" scholarship-wise until 2019-2020. But yeah, hopefully next year is a return to the SMU/Cincinnati contests of the last few years.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:21 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:
UCincinnati wrote:Good to see SMU still had some fight in them today. Maybe you'll be good again some day but history is not on the Ponies side.

You act like we will have the same shorthanded injury raveged team next season that we finished the season with?

We add back Jarrey Foster our 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder and best defender (who missed half the season) and add Isiaha Mike a 6'8 transfer who averaged 11-7 are a freshman in the A-10 to go with McMurray, Whitt, and Chargois. And who knows about Shake (the preseason CPOY). Also, we won't only have 7 players (3 of whom are freshman) and all 3 freshman will be sophomores who had significant experience.

You are either poorly informed, a troll, or just not good at portraying your thoughts. "Maybe you''ll be good again someday" :roll:

Shake is gone my friend. Foster probably comes back due to his injury. Don't see anything more than a bubble team. Good luck though. Maybe some day you'll win a tournament game.

Shake is likely gone, but Look in the mirror my friend on the bubble team comment losing Evans, Clark, and Washington. I'm sure Tre Scott and Brooks will be just as effective.. :lol:

I don't mind matching up McMurray, Whitt, Foster, Mike and Chargois with Broome, Cumberland, one of your freshman, Brooks, and Scott.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm not overly concerned about the 11 vs 13 scholarships because I think we will have a pretty solid starting 5 (if Jarrey comes back as strong as he has been for us), so if we can get 10 quality sub minutes from at least half of the remaining 6 guys, we should be very competitive next year...especially at Moody. If Shake and Agau leave along with Gu, I remain hopeful we can pick up one more immediate impact guy. If your base 7-8 guys are quality guys, those 12th & 13th guys on the bench are luxuries that have plenty of time to develop and at least give you practice bodies when guys are sick or injured.
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:31 pm

There is no guarantee Foster will be the same player after a second major knee ligament injury. Foster's game is based around his truly elite athleticism and his length. If he doesn't have that same kind of explosiveness he won't be nearly as an effective player. Hoping for the best but lots of players never fully recover from this type of injury.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Agree it's not likely Jarrey will come back as strong, but if he is back on the court it will be a huge plus for next year's team. Just checked the season ending stats and we had only 3 guys play in all 33 games...Gu, Whitt & Douglas and even Gu had to play through injuries to accomplish that feat.
Charleston Pony

Postby UCincinnati » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm

PonyLawExpress wrote:
Shake is likely gone, but Look in the mirror my friend on the bubble team comment losing Evans, Clark, and Washington. I'm sure Tre Scott and Brooks will be just as effective.. :lol:

I don't mind matching up McMurray, Whitt, Foster, Mike and Chargois with Broome, Cumberland, one of your freshman, Brooks, and Scott.

Difference is we have a history of making the NCAA tournament. Eight straight years. You guys don't. Mick will figure it out. In our down years, we are 8-9-10 seeds in the NCAA's. In your down years, you're a 9 seed in the conference tournament. Ponies are a bubble team at best under Jank going forward. Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Sterling, Shake and Markus Kennedy ain't walking through that door.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

Difference is we have a history of making the NCAA tournament. Eight straight years. You guys don't. Mick will figure it out. In our down years, we are 8-9-10 seeds in the NCAA's. In your down years, you're a 9 seed in the conference tournament. Ponies are a bubble team at best under Jank going forward. Nic Moore, Ben Moore, Sterling, Shake and Markus Kennedy ain't walking through that door.

Based on your historical expectations, I assume you expect UConn and Memphis to start beating your guys regularly in the near future
Charleston Pony

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm

How brave of the first place team's fans to come trolling after our trainwreck of a season.
We had a bunch of gimps and frosh on the floor and the game didn't get out of hand until the final minutes. Not exactly promising.
skyscraper

Postby Pony_Law » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:12 pm

I’m glad we merit a troll from a bearcat fan. Good lick with the rest of the season, you are having a great year. see you next year and we will see how things go.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RI Stang » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Could be worse - we could always be Tulsa. Good grief...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:53 pm

skyscraper wrote:How brave of the first place team's fans to come trolling after our trainwreck of a season.
We had a bunch of gimps and frosh on the floor and the game didn't get out of hand until the final minutes. Not exactly promising.

Right? All other UC fans I have met have been pretty classy and knowledgeable. I guess there are always outliers in every fan base.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby PonyLaw90 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm

UCincinnati wrote:
SMU Section F wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:For the sake of the AAC, let's hope a much better Cincy team represents the conference in the NCAA Tourney. That was not a very good performance by the Bearcats today. Our guys defensive effort had something to do with it, but Cincy did not play with a lot of intensity today

Other than UConn's 2014 miracle, the AAC has been pretty garbage in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully Cincinnati and Wichita State can turn that around... Houston, too, I guess, though it's harder for me to root for them.

Hard to get very siked for a team you blasted (at full strength) by 20 and then blasted even worse the second time by 25. If we play poorly tomorrow I'll be much more concerned. Clearly we had no respect for SMU today and the Ponies gave it a good try.

"Siked"? I see that wonderful academic degree from UCincy did wonders. The word is "psyched" which is the past tense for the verb "psych", as in psychological.
PonyLaw90
Varsity

Postby UCincinnati » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
UCincinnati wrote:
PonyLawExpress wrote:

Based on your historical expectations, I assume you expect UConn and Memphis to start beating your guys regularly in the near future

Wrong. Cincinnati is 13-13 all time versus UConn. They've had some success against us, but it's nothing overwhelming. Cincinnati is 43-33 all time versus Memphis. So you see, historically we perform well. NCAA appearances in 22 of the last 27 years. It's called history bud.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball