PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Post cinci - (Maybe) end of the 17 18 road

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Post cinci - (Maybe) end of the 17 18 road

Postby ponyboy101 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm

It was tough to watch that team play the last half of the season knowing with our 2 best players we were most likely a tournament team. I will say that the GOOD THING that came out of this season now that it’s all said and done is 3 out of the 4 freshman have legitimate experience playing high level D1 basketball and that will help out a lot more next year than we think. Even if landrum transfers out we still have Douglas and chargois that got their feet wet this year. Douglas and landrum in my opinion underperformed, it’s hard for a freshman to come in but damn 3ppg from landrum and 2 from Douglas is really not good, but they got plenty of experience so I think that will help out for next year hopefully. Chagois before conference play started making me think he might be a 1 and done or a 2 year player, then conference hits and i realize that he’s not as “above” the other freshman as we thought. In my opinion ray wasn’t a bust like everyone makes him out to be, when he shot the ball it went in, 63 percent from the field and 66 percent from 3, I know he didn’t play in very many games but still a lot better than landrum and Douglas started. I think adding mike to next years group, getting jarrey back, Whitt coming back, returning chargois, McMurray, 3 out of the 4 freshman, a good freshman or JUCO guard, Feron Hunt being thrown in also, will be a good enough lineup to get us a shot at the tourney. But if shake comes back, returning 4 starters from. Team that was a tourney team before injuries will be very good, enough to get us a shot at the AAC. Even if he doesn’t come back I still feel good about next years group. Moody Magic will be back and we will land some big time 2019 recruits. I don’t understand that all the fuss is about. SMU basketball is fine and will return back to relevance soon.
ponyboy101
Recruit

Re: Post cinci - (Maybe) end of the 17 18 road

Postby Shetland » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Why does everyone think Landrum is leaving? If a y of the freshman are unhappy I think it would be Ethan or Douglas
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby ClickClack » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Your honesty is much appreciated, however, you should never be allowed to post about college basketball again if at any time you thought Chagrois was a 1 and done caliber player
ClickClack
All-American

Postby sacklunch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:12 pm

I can’t see any of our freshmen leaving.

Ethan got all rookie conference honors. And Landrum and Douglas both got significant time. Ray was injured most of the season too but I saw glimpses of good play from him - a lot of energy and very physical.

All will be great assets next year.
sacklunch
Varsity

Postby ponyboy101 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:56 pm

ClickClack wrote:Your honesty is much appreciated, however, you should never be allowed to post about college basketball again if at any time you thought Chagrois was a 1 and done caliber player

Oh really? So when his first game he had 15 points and 9 rebounds and his second game went for 23 points and 8 rebounds that didn’t make you think he was a very high caliber player? Those aren’t “1 and done caliber” stats
ponyboy101
Recruit

Postby skyscraper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:34 pm

Our freshman class was a disaster. Chargois is the only one worth anything and he hit a wall in January. Jank has his work cut out for him.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:01 am

ponyboy101 wrote:
ClickClack wrote:Your honesty is much appreciated, however, you should never be allowed to post about college basketball again if at any time you thought Chagrois was a 1 and done caliber player

Oh really? So when his first game he had 15 points and 9 rebounds and his second game went for 23 points and 8 rebounds that didn’t make you think he was a very high caliber player? Those aren’t “1 and done caliber” stats

Nice stats doesn't always mean 1-done, especially against Northwestern St or whoever we were playing. His body has a long way to go. Further, he is not very athletic, especially by NBA standards. If he was 6'11 might be different. He showed he has the skill-set if he works hard to be an NBA player in 3 or 4 years and was impressive early on, but he didn't look like a 1-done.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 am

ponyboy101 wrote:

Actually there may be a future for you as Pringle’s PR guy. He’s going to the NBA, you know.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:49 am

Nah, if there were an NBA player in this mix, freshman or not, they would have won more games. But I do agree that the play experience will be invaluable for next year. I am cautiously optimistic. I want my girl to dance at the dance!
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Return to Basketball