PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Did racism help kill SMU basketball star Ruben Triplett?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby dcpony » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

Medium
Kevin James Shay

Almost 40 years later, questions remain about a triple killing in Dallas that authorities classify as ‘solved’

----------

The couple standing in the North Dallas movie theater line to see newly-released The Empire Strikes Back stood out for several reasons that warm May evening.

For one thing, they were playing Yahtzee as they waited. Who does that in a movie line? They were attractive and well-dressed. The man was extremely tall at 6-foot-7.

But what made them truly memorable was their mixed racial backgrounds: he happened to be black, she white.

This was 1980 ― not 2018 ― in Dallas ― not New York. For decades, “segregation of the races” had literally been a formal policy in Dallas, written into the city charter until 1969. Interracial marriage, mostly defined as between “negroes” and whites, was officially outlawed in predominantly Southern states, including Texas, until a 1967 Supreme Court decision that was vehemently opposed by most Americans. At least Texas was not like two defiant states that held onto bans following the national ruling; South Carolina did not remove the clause until 1998, Alabama until 2000. In the latter state, some 546,000 voters ― 40.5 percent ― still wanted to keep the ban. In 2000.

Such marriages grew slowly. In 1970, only 65,000 couples nationwide were black-and-white. That more than doubled to 167,000 by 1980, but that was still only 0.3 percent of the marriages. By 2009, the number expanded to 550,000 ― still less than 1 percent of the total ― although more newlyweds married outside their race. However, a study released in 2014 found that only 26 percent of white Americans favored a close relative marrying an African American, compared with 54 percent of blacks supporting a family member marrying a white. Even in 2015, there were many more marriages between whites and Hispanics [42 percent of the total] than whites and blacks [11 percent] and slightly more among whites and Asians [15 percent]. 1

In Southern cities like Dallas, black-and-white dating was still frowned upon by many for decades after the 1967 ruling. Even black members of the adored Dallas Cowboys had to live in segregated housing developments much farther away from the team’s practice facilities until lawsuits forced change in the 1970s. During those years, the KKK regularly marched through downtown without inciting a riot.

Interracial dating was such a taboo around that time, so rebellious of the established social order, that members of the Richland College basketball team and cheerleaders decided one evening in 1978 to walk arm-in-arm into a small North Texas town diner as black-and-white couples. That was their Rosa Parks’ moment of social protest, their revolutionary act. They received icy stares but no incidents. They went home and back to their normal lives.

Newspaper coverage of a white banker killing an African-American athlete dodged the race question. [Dallas Times Herald, July 28, 1980, Fair Use]

Deflecting icy stares and worse was part of everyday life for Ruben Triplett and Nancy Patrick for at least a few months in 1980. Triplett was used to breaking color barriers. In Galesburg, Ill., he easily made friends with kids from all backgrounds at an early age. Former Texas Rangers catcher and executive Jim Sundberg was among Triplett’s childhood friends; both played on Galesburg High’s baseball and basketball teams and made that school’s Athletics Hall of Fame. They remained in touch in Dallas to the point that Sundberg got his friend autographed baseballs to give to children. 2

At SMU, Triplett became the first African American to earn a basketball scholarship in 1971 with the aid of Galesburg High coach John Thiel, whose son, Zack, also signed with the Dallas-area private university that same year. Triplett continued to date outside his race, even after having a daughter with a common-law spouse.

https://medium.com/@kevinjshay44/it-sho ... c78519ed2a
dcpony
All-American

Re: Did racism help kill SMU basketball star Ruben Triplett?

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks for sharing. Was at SMU when Ruben played for us and was still living in Dallas when he was murdered but did not remember ever being aware of this.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby orguy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:45 pm

Great read. Thank You for sharing.
orguy
All-American

Postby Junior » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 am

thanks for posting. i'd never heard this story before.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

Reuben was a good guy. Remember playing a pick-up game in the old women's gym. Got down on a fast break for a layup and out of no where came this big guy to pin it on the backboard. Had to learn head fakes to get a layup.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Nacho » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:59 pm

ruben was dating "outside his race" at smu. no big deal.
Nacho

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Was on campus then and it would not have been any big deal to see a mixed couple on campus. 1980 was not 1955.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm

but it wasn't 1980-it was early 1970s and Reuben Triplett was the first African American basketball players at SMU. There was 1 African American fraternity member at SMU even in 1980
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:23 am

Of course I did not live in his skin, but Walter Haynes, African American FB player during my time (68-72), dated a beautiful, white student and the only problem on campus I saw was jealousy, including me. But I am confident that there were many other areas and issues with which he had to deal. Acceptance for many was just not there at that time. I still see non acceptance today although it has gotten much better.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SoCal_Pony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Wow, my perspective of this is so different than everyone else.

I know Don Williams, so when this lady was murdered on Lovers, I only knew about it within the context of it being one of his employees, whom he spoke highly of.

Having read this article, I now know someone else was murdered as well. That someone being a player I rooted for as a kid at Moody. That is crazy I didn't know about it all these years. Thanks for sharing and what a tragic story.
SoCal_Pony

Postby mr. pony » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 am

Dallas was not a hot-bed of racial hatred in the 70s OR the 80s.
I get so tired of seeing race-baiting pieces like this.
(Nor do I recollect the KKK regularly parading around Dallas in the 60s.)
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 am

Goff's wouldn't allow people with long hair in there in the 70's.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby oilpony » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:34 pm

EastStang wrote:Goff's wouldn't allow people with long hair in there in the 70's.

harvey just didn't like hippies. lol
oilpony
All-American

Return to Basketball