PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next Season after watching WSU v. UH

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Next Season after watching WSU v. UH

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:07 pm

After watching UH and WSU slug it out it becomes even more clear that we need some roster upgrades. WSU goes 10 deep and UH goes 8-9 deep. There isn't a huge drop off among their 4-9 or 4-10 in their rotations. Both teams rely on their go to guys, but have good role depth. That is where we drastically need to improve.

Our 1-5 should be pretty solid next season, even if Shake doesn't return. After that though the rotation is very questionable. We need to add at least 2 quality JuCo/Grad-transfer players (1 guard & 1 forward) to our rotation or starting lineup. That would at least give us 7 quality guys and hope 1 or 2 of Douglas, Landrum and Ray can step up for some more effective/high impact minutes, if they are all back.

At that point to take the next step as a championship contender we just need to hope Shake is back or that Isiaha Mike is star.

We need to hit the trail and get some additions if we don't want to get passed for good by UH and UCF. Also, UConn and Memphis (likely) are changing coaches we need to pick it up on the trail to avoid falling back. Just some of my thoughts.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Re: Next Season after watching WSU v. UH

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Because if our scholarship restrictions next season is really the first where we might actually have depth at all positions. It’s physically impossible with only 8 or 9 scholarship players especially when one or two are sitting out a transfer year. From this point on we at least have the ability to actually fill out a squad. And after 2018-19 we can recruit to full strength.

Obviously we need to make some better choices but your chances increase with 13 slots instead of 9.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 pm

There is a little bit of an over reaction. Any team in this league would have been way worse if you remove their 2 best players. Losing 3 players to season ending injuries hit us even harder than it might have otherwise because of the restriction but it’s not an idioms this in the state of the program or predictive of the future.

The team this year at full strength was clearly a tournament team. That’s a good 1-10. I think we will continue to have tournament level teams.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Terry Webster » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 am

Interested what happens with wsu nest year since they lose a whole bunch of seniors who played most of their minutes.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 am

Terry Webster wrote:Interested what happens with wsu nest year since they lose a whole bunch of seniors who played most of their minutes.

If Shamet goes with the seniors they look like a middle of the pack team although Marshall could pull a recruiting rabbit or two out of his hat.

Cincy loses Washington and Clark but already has great depth. They will contend.

Houston loses Gray, Devin Davis, zanna and Van Beck.

UCF only loses one starter and gets both Fall and Dawkins back. I see them as pre-season favorite.

Temple looks pretty solid losing Obie and Brown but keeping their nucleus of guards and wings.

Tulane, Tulsa and Memphis AND USF all move up some.

UCONN and ECU have very tough years.

We could fall anywhere from 3-6 pre-season depending on Shake, Jarrey and recruiting success.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:01 am

Pony_Law wrote:There is a little bit of an over reaction. Any team in this league would have been way worse if you remove their 2 best players. Losing 3 players to season ending injuries hit us even harder than it might have otherwise because of the restriction but it’s not an idioms this in the state of the program or predictive of the future.

The team this year at full strength was clearly a tournament team. That’s a good 1-10. I think we will continue to have tournament level teams.

It all depends on what happens post Shake whenever that is. If SMU recruits well and the transfers turn out good we are fine. If it is mediocre recruiting and the transfers turn out to be mediocre then we SMU is not fine no matter matter how many extra scholarships the team has to give out.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:19 am

Wichita's PG coming in is better than Shamet, IMO. Lomax was the reason Penny's team was great.

I'm not scurred of any of these jokers.

Dont freak when we add a PG, just saying
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:33 am

hoopmanx wrote:Wichita's PG coming in is better than Shamet, IMO. Lomax was the reason Penny's team was great.

Is his name Kellybrownnurgermorrisfrankamp?

LOL... how many positions can the kid play at one time?
Marshall has a lot of back-filling to do. I don’t doubt that he is capable but what’s happening there isn't just
“hold the pickles, hold the lettuce,” he’s losing the beef.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby hoopmanx » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:58 am

WSU has a criminally underrated class coming in. Lomax and Stevenson are bosses and the bigs are beefy. Should they beat us for Hinson, they're reloaded for years. Himson has a kid off his hs roster going to WSU this year too.

We certainly return more, but they've back filled nicely.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 am

hoopmanx wrote:WSU has a criminally underrated class coming in. Lomax and Stevenson are bosses and the bigs are beefy. Should they beat us for Hinson, they're reloaded for years. Himson has a kid off his hs roster going to WSU this year too.

We certainly return more, but they've back filled nicely.

Forgot we are in direct competition for Hinson. Can we hire his dad?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby oilpony » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:50 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Wichita's PG coming in is better than Shamet, IMO. Lomax was the reason Penny's team was great.

Don’t freak if we add a PG? I would welcome a good playmaker PG
oilpony
All-American

Postby PonyLawExpress » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Adding Hinson and a playmaker PG would be huge. I hope we add a PG.
PonyLawExpress
Heisman

Postby Pony81 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am

Chris Harris Jr. just committed to A&M....

I know he was a target at one time.....
Pony 81
Pony81
Heisman

Postby RI Stang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 pm

Pony81 wrote:Chris Harris Jr. just committed to A&M....

I know he was a target at one time.....

Would be interested to hear if the perception was that Harris was a priority for the staff? I'm hoping not but this news has me very nervous about Maxey...
RI Stang
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm

This is NOT a good development.

Has the WDNWHA committee aka mrydel ruled on this yet?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball