PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OOC 2018

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OOC 2018

Postby mrydel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Well if we do not know who we are playing why be so upset now about the lack of good competition? Is it that hard to find things to moan about in the off season.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:16 pm

mrydel wrote:Have we named the other games?

No, not officially. Maybe we'll get lucky and they've scheduled something great under the radar? Usually the decent games get leaked and/or announced well ahead of time though. And the early season tournaments are pretty much all set at this point.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 pm

The worrisome part is a lack of invitation (at this point) to a good tournament where we are guaranteed 2/3 good games
Pony ^

Postby One Trick Pony » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Well I mean you want to get the donations first right?
One Trick Pony

Postby redpony » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

probably no tourneys as our 'illustrious' a.d. has been busy with the reseating situation.
redpony

Postby smupony94 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 pm

redpony wrote:probably no tourneys as our 'illustrious' a.d. has been busy with the reseating situation.

I am sure he won't sleep at night hearing that from someone that doesn't come to games or donate
smupony94

Postby redpony » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:47 am

smupony94 wrote:
I am sure he won't sleep at night hearing that from someone that doesn't come to games or donate

Your ignorance is surpassed only by your lack of knowledge.
redpony

Postby sadderbudweiser » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:28 am

I'm sure there is someone here that knows a whole lot more about scheduling than I...but ...

Would it make sense to get each year's NCAA upset winners on next year's OOC schedule?

We kinda got UMBC by accident this past year.

But if we booked UMBC, Buffalo and Marshall....would it help?
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:13 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:I'm sure there is someone here that knows a whole lot more about scheduling than I...but ...

Would it make sense to get each year's NCAA upset winners on next year's OOC schedule?

We kinda got UMBC by accident this past year.

But if we booked UMBC, Buffalo and Marshall....would it help?

Better off staying regional. You can play tough games against La-Laffy and SFA if you want to play good teams that don't get respect. Problem/challenge is finding teams that won't require home/home series because as a program in a conference that considers itself "major", we need as many home games as we can schedule. I'd prefer home/home series with P5 schools or at least the next level which I consider A-10 or MWC, although CUSA is showing they were pretty tough this year...they just don't get respect as evidenced by both MTSU and WKU playing in the NIT. Will be interesting to see how those teams fare. Both won their 1st round games easily and I think WKU beat Boston College from the dreaded ACC.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:50 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Better off staying regional. You can play tough games against La-Laffy and SFA if you want to play good teams that don't get respect. Problem/challenge is finding teams that won't require home/home series because as a program in a conference that considers itself "major"

We shouldn't have much trouble influencing mid-major teams to play us without home-and-homes considering we are Power Six.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:32 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Better off staying regional. You can play tough games against La-Laffy and SFA if you want to play good teams that don't get respect. Problem/challenge is finding teams that won't require home/home series because as a program in a conference that considers itself "major"

We shouldn't have much trouble influencing mid-major teams to play us without home-and-homes considering we are Power Six.

It's all about what you can pay your visitors and before the Moody remodel we just could not afford to build a nice home schedule. Hopefully the reseat will generate enough revenue to allow us to schedule some home/home with P5 schools
Charleston Pony

Postby RI Stang » Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Heard something about the possibility of us being in the field for the Cancun Challenge this year (believe that is around Thanksgiving). Anyone heard anything about that? Would be nice to land in one of those Thanksgiving tourneys somewhere.
RI Stang
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm

High-level warnings for that area right now -,lots of trouble - knockout cocktails; murdered tourists - way more than normal.
Cartel faction split up nightmare
Last edited by One Trick Pony on Thu May 10, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Trick Pony

Postby smupony94 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:57 pm

RI Stang wrote:Heard something about the possibility of us being in the field for the Cancun Challenge this year (believe that is around Thanksgiving). Anyone heard anything about that? Would be nice to land in one of those Thanksgiving tourneys somewhere.

announced a couple of weeks ago.

Hard Rock Cafe
smupony94

Postby RI Stang » Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm

smupony94 wrote:
RI Stang wrote:Heard something about the possibility of us being in the field for the Cancun Challenge this year (believe that is around Thanksgiving). Anyone heard anything about that? Would be nice to land in one of those Thanksgiving tourneys somewhere.

announced a couple of weeks ago.

Hard Rock Cafe

Any idea where it was announced? Couldn't find anything on their website (only about the women's tournament). Unlikely to attend, as someone else mentioned it's not the most fan friendly area right now, but very curious about the other schools and format.
RI Stang
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball